Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet

Problem isn't that the spine is a little flat,

problem is the bevels both sides are not smooth enough.

1st good news: it's a separate part than the main fuselage.

So it will be easy to work with it, sand and fix it.

2nd good news: there will be an another part for the F and the Growler.

And judging from the instructions, it's a pretty good representation, they really work on several aeras, MLG and NLG parts are pretty detailled.

Only the exhausts and the GBU-38 seems odd.

My only general complaint is it's like 1/48 kit  resize in 1/32.

Great news that there is progress on the kit (or at least the instructions).  I hope the kit comes soon.  Any idea on the release date?  The only place I've seen anything is on Wonderland Models' website and it now has Feb. 1st as the date.  Before that it was Dec. 20th, before that Nov. 22nd and before that and that, some other dates.  I pre-ordered the kit early last year and would really like to get my hands on it.

There is a discussion highlighting the rather huge list of issues going at LSP.

Trump is still the best by some margin even with its relatively minor issues.

short list...Radome, Canopy caused by porked spine, engine spacing, extremely complex multi part landing gear assembly with flashy parts, instructions to fix incorrectly sized bulkheads..ie yes sand off .5mm off part xyz because they couldnt be bothered fixing it from test shot.

Its worth checking out the instructions.

Waiting to see it first hand but so far it looks like a poor second choice for those with Trump kits in the stash.

Needs going over by an expert, but £70 is much less money than the Trumpeter..

LG clearly needs metal inserts, the bracing or retraction strut oleo replaced by a steel pin, and the spine tweaked. Not sure what's wrong elsewhere (e.g. engine bumps and nozzles) but it'll likely generate AM which the bland Trumpy failed to energise.

Really waiting to see the Blue Angels fly this variant, which I thought was not far off — best colour scheme for an E IMHO.

Tony 

On 1/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, dehowie said:

There is a discussion highlighting the rather huge list of issues going at LSP.

Trump is still the best by some margin even with its relatively minor issues.

short list...Radome, Canopy caused by porked spine, engine spacing, extremely complex multi part landing gear assembly with flashy parts, instructions to fix incorrectly sized bulkheads..ie yes sand off .5mm off part xyz because they couldnt be bothered fixing it from test shot.

Its worth checking out the instructions.

Waiting to see it first hand but so far it looks like a poor second choice for those with Trump kits in the stash.

Agreed, the amount of notes for cutting, drilling and trimming is overwhelming for a regular production kit. 

No thanks, unless it's all preliminary. 

Edited by zerosystem

Modellers talk about kits, compare them (Trumpeter vs RoG) and say things like "if Tamiya can achieve this or that, how come RoG can't ?"

For a kit producer, releasing a kit is a project. It's a matter of sticking to the planning, manage available ressources (internal or external) to pass the project's milestones one after another and this with a finite budget. Each producer has its own business model and ressources. CAD designing of the 1/32 F/A-18E (and 1/48 Beaufighter) were subcontracted to Braz Models (http://www.brazmodels.com/3d-design-02.html), some producers do the design internally. Some (if not most) outsource tooling and/or injection (RoG used Ace Models in South Korea but that was years ago, I don't know if it's still the case) also. IMHO the half-baked feeling F/A-18E reflects this reality: the sales manager probably have said "enough, we must release this item, we cannot afford delays and budget overrun, we must cover the expenses". Customers say this sucks but this is the other-side-of-the-mirror reality, the one where unicorns don't exist.

The Golden Age of plastic injection kit tool making is long over. South Korea made the tools not only for RevG but also for the Spit Mk.22/24 from Airfix and for AccMin and others. They became too expensive and became reluctant to keep on in their business  after a change in their management. Their tools used beryllium as a medium, a most dangerous metal - but they could make very nice surface structures. Later steel molds from China succeeded in allowing almost the same quality. Revell mainly used the same tool shop in HK who subsequently improved in quality, compare the 48th Eurofighter and now the new Beau. But this now relatively experienced tool shop was not chosen for the Super Hornet - with devasting results. It is clearly not the designer´s fault and he cannot be made responsible for the shortcomings of the model.

42 minutes ago, Andreas Beck said:

The Golden Age of plastic injection kit tool making is long over. South Korea made the tools not only for RevG but also for the Spit Mk.22/24 from Airfix and for AccMin and others. They became too expensive and became reluctant to keep on in their business  after a change in their management. Their tools used beryllium as a medium, a most dangerous metal - but they could make very nice surface structures. Later steel molds from China succeeded in allowing almost the same quality. Revell mainly used the same tool shop in HK who subsequently improved in quality, compare the 48th Eurofighter and now the new Beau. But this now relatively experienced tool shop was not chosen for the Super Hornet - with devasting results. It is clearly not the designer´s fault and he cannot be made responsible for the shortcomings of the model.

Huh? If the kit is released with all of the issues that were pointed out several months ago, it is all the designers fault. The tools are cut from the CAD, and the CAD is created by the designers. How could it not be their fault?

49 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Huh? If the kit is released with all of the issues that were pointed out several months ago, it is all the designers fault. The tools are cut from the CAD, and the CAD is created by the designers. How could it not be their fault?

AFAIK Andreas is talking about the kit (tooling and injection quality), not about the model (accuracy).

Looks like a hybrid kitbash between the Trumpy and Revell might be necessary — though I don't want a Hornet E costing £190 which leaves a lot of land fill.

If you live to see it the F/A-18F release may be the one to wait for. Think the Blues are getting the E/F variants during 2021, so that would be a good time for the Revell F to emerge.

Tony 

On 9 January 2019 at 7:45 PM, shion said:

Problem isn't that the spine is a little flat,

problem is the bevels both sides are not smooth enough.

1st good news: it's a separate part than the main fuselage.

So it will be easy to work with it, sand and fix it.

No, the spine is part of the upper fuselage part A40. I actually wonder if the profile was turdified in order to fit the mould depth limits? Had it been engineered as a separate part it most likely would have been accurate, ditto the rear canopy hood frame to match. 

Beryllium copper moulds? I thought they were commonplace in Asia. One reason I don't lick wet 'n' dry - cissy bowl of water is preferable. 

Tony 

2 hours ago, pminer said:

Looked at the construction booklet. That is one complicated mofo!! Holy cow....more than Hasagawa or Tamiya combined!! Looks verrrrry interesting however....

Man, you're not kidding. Plus they show where you must scrape, cut, file and putty various areas. The part count in areas is incredible. If I was still doing 1/32, I think I'd think twice before attempting this monster. Impressive though.

Dang, this one was on my "acquire" list. Revell has impressed me with some of their recent 1/32 kits that are very affordable and fairly accurate (i.e. their Me. 262 Night Fighter kit is a real beauty). So I was hoping they'd come through with this big Super Hornet kit. But from what I've seen and read I'll be taking a pass. Oh well, for those who do grab one I hope you enjoy it...share build pictures with the rest of us too please.

Happy modeling all!

Don

I'm sorry you're disappointed, it's not the best thing since slice bread, but I don't think it's so bad.

I really like the way they did the main landing gear bays, in her wing panels attached to the fuselage, and I'm sure after market will fix the rest.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, Don said:

Revell has impressed me with some of their recent 1/32 kits that are very affordable and fairly accurate (i.e. their Me. 262 Night Fighter kit is a real beauty).

I have built the Me262 and in my opinion it is a horrible kit. Huge fitting issues, horrible plastic quality, instructions that mislabel SEVERAL decals, all around typical bad RoG quality. 

It does not surprise me at all that RoG f###ed up the Hornet kit too.

They should simply stop making kits.

37 minutes ago, Ventris said:

I have built the Me262 and in my opinion it is a horrible kit. Huge fitting issues, horrible plastic quality, instructions that mislabel SEVERAL decals, all around typical bad RoG quality. 

We will see. 😞

2 hours ago, Ventris said:

Too bad you've had such a terrible experience with Revell's 262 Night Fighter. Personally I have not and have quite enjoyed it. I have also enjoyed the other new releases in 1/32 from Revell (and, being more of an armor modeler, their newer 1/35 kits like their Leopard 1A1 are very nice). Yes, they generally are not fall together kits like Tamiya and require the builder to exercise their modeling and building skills (not bad quality, just models that need building...). But then again they are also half the price or even cheaper then Tamiya. To me, a person is getting a lot of modeling in Revell's newer 1/32 kits for a very affordable price (we all can't afford $150-$200 USD plus models). Others mileage may vary of course and to each to their own. I may have spoken too hastily in regards this new Hornet kit and rather I will wait and see what the final verdict is after a few builds have been posted.

Happy modeling.

P.S. I truly hope Revell does not stop making models.

I built one of Revell's 1/32 Ju-88A-1 converted to an A-4. It had a few fit issues but otherwise was a beautiful kit and built up into a very impressive, and large, model. I really enjoyed that build.

Over the years, it seems, Revell's 1/32 releases have been a mixed bag but as Don mentioned, they are a real deal cost wise.

Edited by Mstor