Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet

Honestly, looking at the instructions, it does look complicated but where they break assembles into a lot of parts it really looks like it would help with painting. Things that I always say "I wish these walls were separated so I could detail paint more easily". The breakdowns make sense to me. Just from what I can tell so far anyway.

Edited by niart17
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, fasteagle12 said:

Great news that there is progress on the kit (or at least the instructions).  I hope the kit comes soon.  Any idea on the release date?  The only place I've seen anything is on Wonderland Models' website and it now has Feb. 1st as the date.  Before that it was Dec. 20th, before that Nov. 22nd and before that and that, some other dates.  I pre-ordered the kit early last year and would really like to get my hands on it.

Well, Wonderland Models website makes it appear that the kit is now available.  I wonder how long it will be before it gets to the US distributors.......

On 1/21/2019 at 4:04 AM, niart17 said:

Honestly, looking at the instructions, it does look complicated but where they break assembles into a lot of parts it really looks like it would help with painting. Things that I always say "I wish these walls were separated so I could detail paint more easily". The breakdowns make sense to me. Just from what I can tell so far anyway.

Based on my experience with the Revell Tornado, this will be null and void when none of those broken down parts fit properly and you have to sand off half the detail.

21 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

Well, Wonderland Models website makes it appear that the kit is now available.  I wonder how long it will be before it gets to the US distributors.......

Looked later and it now says it will be available on March 1st.....another push out.  

The instructions do indeed look complex but with the exception of the spine - which I think it’s just not right - I may give this kit a try.  Looks alright overall.  I’m sure someone in the aftermarket industry will tackle that spine and other areas needing attention.

Looks better than the Trumpy kit I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

I'm interested in seeing this Super Bug hands on. If it has cockpit sidewall details it is one up on the Trumpy kit.

It does not.  In fact, the cockpit is pretty lame as the raised detail is minimal and I guess you are supposed to use the included decals.

I posted some thoughts HERE  , as well as photos of some of the kit parts and also the Trumpeter spine.  One issue that hasn’t been mentioned much is that the plastic is quite soft.  If you grab some of the sprues by one corner, the rest of the sprue will sag by an incredible amount.  Also, the sprue with the nose gear strut was fairly warped, so I don’t get positive vibes about the gear holding up.  There are some nice details, weapons, and options, but it almost seems like they went cheap in the end and didn’t quite finish, with the soft plastic, lame cockpit, and instructions that have specific instructions for shaving down specific parts and removing flash.

37 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

It does not.  In fact, the cockpit is pretty lame as the raised detail is minimal and I guess you are supposed to use the included decals.

I posted some thoughts HERE  , as well as photos of some of the kit parts and also the Trumpeter spine.  One issue that hasn’t been mentioned much is that the plastic is quite soft.  If you grab some of the sprues by one corner, the rest of the sprue will sag by an incredible amount.  Also, the sprue with the nose gear strut was fairly warped, so I don’t get positive vibes about the gear holding up.  There are some nice details, weapons, and options, but it almost seems like they went cheap in the end and didn’t quite finish, with the soft plastic, lame cockpit, and instructions that have specific instructions for shaving down specific parts and removing flash.

Thanks for the link Dave. You give a great quick hands on review of the parts. It is still amazing that we have yet to see a resin pit for the Trumpeter offerings, but maybe as another person posted we will get the resin for the Revell.

Personally iwouldnt compare it to the Trumpeter spine which is far to my ete close to the classic Hornet spine ie far more rounded.

The Superbug has a broader less rounded spine but not as flat as Revells.

I think its fixable either via resin or elbow grease!

Got hometo find mine and to me kit for its price is a good starting point hopefully some resin will come down the road for us.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, dehowie said:

The Superbug has a broader less rounded spine but not as flat as Revells.

I think its fixable either via resin or elbow grease!

I've had a couple of requests to do a spine fix and I saw a rumor on Britmodeller that somebody might already be doing one.

From the few pics I've seen it doesn't look like it can be corrected by simply making a new upper part.

I haven't seen a good shot showing the sides below the upper part, but they appear to be almost vertical and flat from what I could see.

Can one of you with the kit verify that the cross section I've drawn is similar to the kit? If so then elbow grease might be in order rather than a resin fix.

Rev_spine_section_zpshz9nughh.jpg

:cheers:

41 minutes ago, Timvkampen said:

ellbow grease, why not....And as I posted on LSP: maybe Tamiya should tackle this one...

Just about every subject could use the Tamiya touch. Would be nice if more model companies could raise themselves to Tamiya's standard. But, I also hope for world peace and to win the lottery (got a buy a ticket some day).

On 3/4/2019 at 5:47 AM, Zactoman said:

I've had a couple of requests to do a spine fix and I saw a rumor on Britmodeller that somebody might already be doing one.

From the few pics I've seen it doesn't look like it can be corrected by simply making a new upper part.

I haven't seen a good shot showing the sides below the upper part, but they appear to be almost vertical and flat from what I could see.

Can one of you with the kit verify that the cross section I've drawn is similar to the kit? If so then elbow grease might be in order rather than a resin fix.

That seems about right, but the problem is I don’t think the plastic is thick enough to round off that corner without sanding all of the way through the plastic.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, habu2 said:

There isn’t one. 

My LHS says there is one, and perhaps a second one on the way. Who? He didn't say. Yet I've noticed a few new Revell kits on the shelf over the last few weeks. Many are reboxed ICM ( mig25 for one).

Glt

On 3/4/2019 at 8:47 PM, Zactoman said:

Sorry for the delay but verifying what Dave said thats very close.

Little curve on the sides and to keep the height correct they flattened the top.

There are some excellent images of the spine in the Reid Air book..

SU34 parts arrived perfectly as always! 

Great work again..

Edited by dehowie
On 3/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, Dave Williams said:

That seems about right, but the problem is I don’t think the plastic is thick enough to round off that corner without sanding all of the way through the plastic.

Thanks for verifying this Dave.

And that's the problem with considering an aftermarket fix. Simply replacing the top part can't get you there, so it would involve chopping at least a portion of the spine away which makes it difficult for the modeler.

Without seeing more I don't know how much of the spine would need to be fixed to give a more accurate appearance.

I would like to see more pics of the kit (particularly the weapons (looks like they may have done a decent job on the AIM-9X)), but don't think I'll be doing a spine fix considering that in the few pics I've seen there are also other big issues such as this area:

Cool_shapes.jpg.16d14258760cb544c847a8a91b40785a.jpg

For some reason Revell left this lovely contoured area sharp and goofed up the vent pocket shape. As a connoisseur of shapes I'm disappointed. :closedeyes:

Yes the modeler could sand and correct it, but what else might be wrong with the kit?

On 3/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, dehowie said:

Sorry for the delay but verifying what Dave said thats very close.

Little curve on the sides and to keep the height correct they flattened the top.

There are some excellent images of the spine in the Reid Air book..

SU34 parts arrived perfectly as always! 

Great work again..

Thanks Darren. Despite tentatively deciding not to do aftermarket for this, I might just pick up the Reid book. I've been very happy with their other books that I've bought.

Good to hear you like the Su-34 bits. Have a fun build! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

Thanks Darren. Despite tentatively deciding not to do aftermarket for this, I might just pick up the Reid book. I've been very happy with their other books that I've bought.

Good to hear you like the Su-34 bits. Have a fun build! :thumbsup:

Your right the spine should be curving in before the segment where the flat top part in question sits.

I pretty much buy all of Jake’s books as they are all excellent.

Thanks for the SU bits!

The other issue is that the rear edge of the canopy matches the curvature of their spine, so how do you deal with that?  Ignore it and hope it’s not too noticeable, or make a new canopy too?  The flat spine is noticeable, so do you try and make the whole thing truly accurate, or just round it somewhat so it just looks better?  Maybe in the case of this kit making it look better is better than making it completely accurate, because there are other issues.

Fortunately, the spine issue will be less obvious on the twin seater, if it ever gets released.

Edited by Dave Williams
14 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The other issue is that the rear edge of the canopy matches the curvature of their spine, so how do you deal with that?  Ignore it and hope it’s not too noticeable, or make a new canopy too?  The flat spine is noticeable, so do you try and make the whole thing truly accurate, or just round it somewhat so it just looks better?  Maybe in the case of this kit making it look better is better than making it completely accurate, because there are other issues.

Fortunately, the spine issue will be less obvious on the twin seater, if it ever gets released.

Just buy the  Trumpeter kit!

8 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Just buy the  Trumpeter kit!

At least we have that option.

I can live with the canopy blend are and will simply pull out the biggest baddest bastard file and shred the edges of that spine to give it a more palatable look.

Its much of a muchance as to me the Trumpy kits have an overly curved spine more akin to a classic Hornet.

So one needs more curve one less.