Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet

If anyone was still looking for one here in the States, Spruebrothers has them in stock:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/rvg04994-os.htm

Also, watch Amazon as I have seen them there off and on for as low as $90 with free shipping up to $100 with free shipping.

Just letting anyone who is still looking for one know they are appearing here now in the U.S. with more regularity it seems.

Curious...I wonder if Hobby Lobby will ever stock them? I'd probably grab one with their 40% coupon.

Happy modeling all! 

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Don

I had one on order at the local Hobby Town for over a year waiting for its release, but the store just closed and I got my money back.   With all of the negative reviews I think I'll wait awhile to see more about the kit before I commit for another.  I do already have the Trumpeter F model.  

Edited by fasteagle12

Have to say,  I started a build on LSP on the Super Bug, Had to walk away ( maybe for good ) as you are constantly fighting the kit. Not in a simple scrape here and there, more like half the parts are from Revell, the other half from Fisher-Price, with Fisher -Price parts fitting better. Now, I know, we're model builders, we make art from little bits of plastic, but for a mainstream kit maker that's shown so much promise lately, this is a BIG let down with the amount of work needed. Did build the Trumpeter Bug, wasn't easy either but did finish. If you really want one of these, buy it NOW before the molds get old and the "fit" gets worse.

Don

Does have a nice decal sheet, the VX-9 bird looks appealing.

• 2 years later...

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or even here, only just stumbled across this post.  I've read a lot of comments and review about the spine of the Revell 1/32 F/A-18E and subsequent F model being too flat or the outer shoulders being too sharp.  I've been looking at a number of builds and review of this kit and to be honest it's very difficult to determine if it is actually right or wrong.  There's never going to be a perfect kit however comparing images of the kit and this photo, I find it very hard to see if the kit is actually wrong....

photo_9999_316290.thumb.jpg.80226e18ed540e50157a02efe8fa511f.jpg

Very interesting to watch Flory’s review of the F.

The instructions had literally tens of instructions to remove 0.5mm of plastic from literally every major internal component.

Any wonder people are having issues.

2 hours ago, dehowie said:

Very interesting to watch Flory’s review of the F.

The instructions had literally tens of instructions to remove 0.5mm of plastic from literally every major internal component.

Any wonder people are having issues.

That’s no different than from the E instructions.  It’s because Revell didn’t change or fix anything with the kit, other than add the rear cockpit, two-seater canopy, and spine front piece for the longer canopy.

1 hour ago, peterburns said:

I don't really like the F-18 but all this whining makes me want to get one.  Nothing more fun than building a kit that can't be built.

It can be built and there is the odd online build showing a nicely finished model. It's just a tricky labour intensive build.

If the price is right, I will pick one up

Honestly, the bad design, or the need for shaving of some plastic doesn't bother me. What seems to be the most bothersome is the lower fuselage joint.

And that spine. Revell apparently had a huge sign in the design office saying "Super Hornet spine = FLAT" after their 1/48 attempt. Shame, as I feel they got the outline of the spine pretty good. On the F it;s only slightly noticable. Oh, and since I'm whining already... why no cockpit sidewalls? I mean... in 1/32?

I wonder how much work was put in the Test builds for these models, since they look quite Ok.