Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Stephen

Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Just buy the  Trumpeter kit!

 

Actually, I already have two Es, one F, and one G, so I already have that option.  But, the Trumpeter kits are not without problems either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Thanks for verifying this Dave.

And that's the problem with considering an aftermarket fix. Simply replacing the top part can't get you there, so it would involve chopping at least a portion of the spine away which makes it difficult for the modeler.

Without seeing more I don't know how much of the spine would need to be fixed to give a more accurate appearance.

 

I would like to see more pics of the kit (particularly the weapons (looks like they may have done a decent job on the AIM-9X)), but don't think I'll be doing a spine fix considering that in the few pics I've seen there are also other big issues such as this area:

Cool_shapes.jpg.16d14258760cb544c847a8a91b40785a.jpg

For some reason Revell left this lovely contoured area sharp and goofed up the vent pocket shape. As a connoisseur of shapes I'm disappointed. :closedeyes:

Yes the modeler could sand and correct it, but what else might be wrong with the kit?

 

Thanks Darren. Despite tentatively deciding not to do aftermarket for this, I might just pick up the Reid book. I've been very happy with their other books that I've bought.

Good to hear you like the Su-34 bits. Have a fun build! :thumbsup:

 

:cheers:

 

Pick it up if you can find it! They're a bit rare these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if there is a Revell US distributor yet?  or if they've gotten one here yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

Anyone know if there is a Revell US distributor yet?  or if they've gotten one here yet...

^^^This. Honestly Revell ...anytime now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, Zactoman said:

Thanks for verifying this Dave.

And that's the problem with considering an aftermarket fix. Simply replacing the top part can't get you there, so it would involve chopping at least a portion of the spine away which makes it difficult for the modeler.

Without seeing more I don't know how much of the spine would need to be fixed to give a more accurate appearance.

 

I would like to see more pics of the kit (particularly the weapons (looks like they may have done a decent job on the AIM-9X)), but don't think I'll be doing a spine fix considering that in the few pics I've seen there are also other big issues such as this area:

Cool_shapes.jpg.16d14258760cb544c847a8a91b40785a.jpg

For some reason Revell left this lovely contoured area sharp and goofed up the vent pocket shape. As a connoisseur of shapes I'm disappointed. :closedeyes:

Yes the modeler could sand and correct it, but what else might be wrong with the kit?

 

Thanks Darren. Despite tentatively deciding not to do aftermarket for this, I might just pick up the Reid book. I've been very happy with their other books that I've bought.

Good to hear you like the Su-34 bits. Have a fun build! :thumbsup:

 

:cheers:

Interesting. The shape of vent cover has changed from the original. It used to be a V shape. It looks as though they've taken it straight across at the point of the V now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Interesting. The shape of vent cover has changed from the original. It used to be a V shape. It looks as though they've taken it straight across at the point of the V now. 

 

I think it is still a Vee, the upper edge (in the pic) doesn't have a shadow underneath but I can still see the edge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That LSP link was enough for me. I was going to get this kit despite some of the criticisms that I had heard about but not now based on what I saw/read in Dave's link. 2019 and that's what Revell could come up with? Disappointing to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, how did Revell ever decide to release something this bad? It's beyond comprehension. I don't do 1/32 anymore but if I did, I wouldn't touch this thing with a ten foot pole. The build on LSP... Jeeess, I really feel for that guy. What a struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Interesting. The shape of vent cover has changed from the original. It used to be a V shape. It looks as though they've taken it straight across at the point of the V now. 

 

On 3/31/2019 at 3:48 PM, habu2 said:

I think it is still a Vee, the upper edge (in the pic) doesn't have a shadow underneath but I can still see the edge...

As Habu noted, the vent cover hasn't changed. Just a trick of the lighting and angle of the pic.

Here's the full photo:

170806-N-UD618-144.JPG

 

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, Ventris said:

 

I have built the Me262 and in my opinion it is a horrible kit. Huge fitting issues, horrible plastic quality, instructions that mislabel SEVERAL decals, all around typical bad RoG quality. 

 

It does not surprise me at all that RoG f###ed up the Hornet kit too.

 

They should simply stop making kits.

Mine fell together with very little filler just like the P51. To be exact, I know of several guys that built the 262, with even less problems than l. Was not impressed with the Trumpeter kit (either one). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built their 1/32 Ju-88. Albeit an older kit, I consider it one of the first of their newer class of 1/32 releases. It had a few fit issues, but nothing serious. It built up into a very impressive kit and at a very reasonable price.

Revell is capable of designing good kits. What happened with this F-18 is a shame. Having the instructions actually tell you to file and cut down areas to facilitate fit is crazy. I've seen kits where they have you remove a detail or fill in a panel line to correct an inaccuracy or change version details, but not correct what amounts to mistakes in production that prevent proper fitting of parts. This one should have been taken back to the drawing board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the Trumpeter kit stays the better option! Who would have thought?! 

 

But now Tamiya should step up to the plate and issue it next year coinciding with Top Gun: Maverick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timvkampen said:

So, the Trumpeter kit stays the better option! Who would have thought?! 

 

But now Tamiya should step up to the plate and issue it next year coinciding with Top Gun: Maverick!

 

The only problem with Tamiya doing it would be the cost of the kit, Academy might be a better choose because the weapon sprue's are already done.

 

Don

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DONG said:

 

The only problem with Tamiya doing it would be the cost of the kit, Academy might be a better choose because the weapon sprue's are already done.

 

Don

 

That is also an idea. However, it has also been a looooooooong time since Academy took on a 1/32 jet... Well, hope springs eternal. But I think everyone thought that Revell had delayed the issuing of this kit because they were improving it after all the initial comments from some experts here. Alas...that was not the case and so you get bad press which is a bit deserved I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, there are currently two builds of the Revell F/A-18E on LSP. The second one, which has much less views and comments, is going together pretty well. Before completely writing it off, keep in mind the problems being encountered in the build linked above may not be due to the kit's design. I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

For what it's worth, there are currently two builds of the Revell F/A-18E on LSP. The second one, which has much less views and comments, is going together pretty well. Before completely writing it off, keep in mind the problems being encountered in the build linked above may not be due to the kit's design. I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'............

Just to point out, the second build on LSP is not far enough along to reach the same issues illustrated on the first build. Give him some time and I'm pretty certain that he's going to have to deal with the same issues. It ain't the builder, it's the kit. It will be interesting to see what happens. A friend of mine had attempted to build this kit, he experienced the exact same issues as the first LSP build, and when he met the tail plane fit issues, that was the straw that broke the camels back and he threw it in the trash. So far, that's 2 for 2 on kits pretty far along in the build process (with the exact same issues), and I'm betting that it will be 3 for 3 when the other builder reaches the same steps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modelingbob said:

Just to point out, the second build on LSP is not far enough along to reach the same issues illustrated on the first build. Give him some time and I'm pretty certain that he's going to have to deal with the same issues. It ain't the builder, it's the kit. It will be interesting to see what happens. A friend of mine had attempted to build this kit, he experienced the exact same issues as the first LSP build, and when he met the tail plane fit issues, that was the straw that broke the camels back and he threw it in the trash. So far, that's 2 for 2 on kits pretty far along in the build process (with the exact same issues), and I'm betting that it will be 3 for 3 when the other builder reaches the same steps. 

 

I'm not so sure. However, we'll see for certain when the second builder gets further along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the second build is the one I’m thinking of, he hasn’t gotten very far yet.  Mostly it’s reshaping the spine, and a different way of assembling the intakes.  Following it with interest, but he hasn’t put the wheel wells together yet, or built up the lower fuselage body yet, and hasn’t gotten far enough to see if his intake method will cause other problems down the road.  He did seem to get a lot better fit with the ECS exhaust insert, though.  Hopefully, based on lessons learned from the other thread he can find some good solutions, but no matter what, it’s still a poor fitting kit that will require a fair amount of struggle, especially if you assemble it like the instructions say to.  I’m not sure the issues in the other thread are all operator related.  Even if someone does get it put together, I’m still wary of the landing gear collapsing and the wings sagging due to the soft plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suffice it to say, I should stick with Trumpeter if I want to build a big superbug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's still the fact that the instructions have you filing and cutting down parts to make it fit. I think that indicates some poor design right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mstor said:

There's still the fact that the instructions have you filing and cutting down parts to make it fit. I think that indicates some poor design right there.

I think the issue is the CAM (Computer Assisted Machining) phase when each object of the CAD model is used to generate a file that controls the CNC machine that cuts the steel or copper (for EDM electrodes) to produce the cavity for the part. I understand it's not just a matter of pressing a button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the Revell booth at the Euro Modelling Expo in Lingen this year.

They presented this abomination of a Hornet next to LITERALY toys for children.

This should tell you everything about their priorities.

 

Just stop buying Revell crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devastating judgements on the SH result from two stories which are connected but which also have their indigenous aspects. 

Story 1 is the the Hobbico disaster and the subsequent actions and decisions.

Story 2 is the project history of this kit.

1.Revell/Germany as an economically stabile firm was bought by a , if you take it negative, corporate raider or , if you take it positive, courageous endeavour who is specialized in saving and rebuilding shattered firms. Their aim is not to make us modellers happy but to resell the acquired firms with a substantial margin. To accomplish this strategic changes concerning the range of products were undertaken. These were announced on their legendary press conference the week after Telford. The investments into new products will not be reduced but they will be focused on new customer groups, i.e. children (before going into "serious" modelling). This means the first line future competitors of Revell will be no longer Airfix, Haseagawa & Co but Lego and Playmobil. Future will tell if this strategy works out well. I myself am very skeptical about this. The alternative would have been to strengthen well performing sections, not to weaken them.

On story 2 maybe later.

BTW, in Lingen we saw testshots of the 2 new 1/144 Airbus. They looked rather promising.

Kind Regards

Andreas Beck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andreas Beck said:

The devastating judgements on the SH result from two stories which are connected but which also have their indigenous aspects. 

Story 1 is the the Hobbico disaster and the subsequent actions and decisions.

Story 2 is the project history of this kit.

1.Revell/Germany as an economically stabile firm was bought by a , if you take it negative, corporate raider or , if you take it positive, courageous endeavour who is specialized in saving and rebuilding shattered firms. Their aim is not to make us modellers happy but to resell the acquired firms with a substantial margin. To accomplish this strategic changes concerning the range of products were undertaken. These were announced on their legendary press conference the week after Telford. The investments into new products will not be reduced but they will be focused on new customer groups, i.e. children (before going into "serious" modelling). This means the first line future competitors of Revell will be no longer Airfix, Haseagawa & Co but Lego and Playmobil. Future will tell if this strategy works out well. I myself am very skeptical about this. The alternative would have been to strengthen well performing sections, not to weaken them.

On story 2 maybe later.

BTW, in Lingen we saw testshots of the 2 new 1/144 Airbus. They looked rather promising.

Kind Regards

Andreas Beck

 

 

I'll take story one Andreas. But, I also feel that when you look at the history of Hobbico, they made some poor decisions in some of their acquisitions and over extended themselves. I can only hope that the employees who own(ed) the company received something for their stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×