F-14B VF-74 "Be Devilers", Hobbyboss 1/72

Sorry for beeing a bit late to the party, but as promised, I join the GB with this kit:

UIoBwPx.jpg

This will be my fourth Hobbyboss F-14, the kits are very nice in my opinion. The build will be nearly completely OOB, although I got a nice surprise when I bought a bundle of 1/72 aircraft weapons, pilots and other stuff: It also contained a Resin-cockpit for the Tomcat! I have no idea what brand it is, and it is most likely not designed for the Hobbyboss-kit, but I think at least the basic cockpit should work with the kit. This way I will also get around the problem with the Hobbyboss-cockpit, which has no features on the side-consoles and also doesn´t provide any decals for this. The F-14D-kit DOES have decals for the side consoles....

HAJO

The resin cockpit fits quite well into the two front halves, at least while I was dry-fitting it:

s3kZqib.jpg

OES4ftT.jpg

But first I started painting all the instruments. First a coat of grey (Revell 76), then light black for all panels and bigger instruments. Then I highlighted buttons and knobs with silver and finally gave it a touch with a white pencil.

cQbUHDa.jpg

Green window color for the screens.

UTtA5Gc.jpg

Finally I had to sand off some parts of the sides to make it really fit, but now it sits good!

BctdhlM.jpg

HAJO

Next step I did yesterday and today was the crew. I used two figures of my first "real good" F-14, a Fujimi-kit I did in the early 90ies. First step was to check the combo of resin seats, figures and cockpit:

jnO54hA.jpg

fr8L1pU.jpg

I apologize for the slightly fuzzy pictures, but I think you´ll get the idea. I had to amputate their legs to make them fit into the cockpit.

xGrUYi8.jpg

As a reminiscence to his former workplace (my "real good" Fujimi F-14 was a VF-41 "Black Aces" bird) the backseater is wearing a VF-41-logo on his helmet:

s1YPV9k.jpg

Next project will be the canopy. The Hobbyboss-canopies have a nasty seam, but I was able to sand and polish it of on my previous three Tomcats, so I´m quite optimistic it will work out as well here.

qnYudbs.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

I commenced with cutting the offending seam off with an x-acto-knife and used the knife also to smooth the canopy further down.

XWpYLas.jpg

Then I started using various profiles of a nail-polishing-tool:

DVf6ru5.jpg

Last step in this progress was a good rub with my fingers dipped into smokers-toothpaste. This stuff is good for polishing things like "yellow teeth"... 😉

mhZKr4I.jpg

And then: a coat of Future!

lbUfw6K.jpg

The crew already waits for the canopy:

uqZhKyl.jpg

And the front windshield is attached!

PcKbbaR.jpg

This is how the bird looks now, hopefully I can start painting tomorrow:

ae3mxRd.jpg

HAJO

Painted F-14-Model.................................Check!
Various decals.........................................Check!
Scissor and needle..................................Check!
Warm water..............................................Check!
Toilet paper..............................................Check!
Top Gun Soundtrack................................Check!
Amazon Account (for impulse shopping T-Shirt "Because I was inverted")....................Check!!  😁

0S0zMFC.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.