Hi lads, 

Not really modelling related but thought I'd ask in case anyone has experience. I'm trying to get a gloss finish on a carbon fibre wing for my car and was wondering what the best paint/prep method would be. Anyone here have experience working with Carbon Fibre? Any tips highly appreciated... 

Is this 1:1 scale? I think most professional approaches would be a 2k polyurethane clear coat. These are paints that dry more by chemical reaction than being open to air.  You mix a hardener with them and then have 20-30 minutes to paint. 

A good number of model car guys use them on their scale models and they’re a fairly fool proof gorgeous shine. Of course a spray tent to keep dust off while drying would be nice. 

Autoparts shops often have the stuff by the gallon. I used a “hobby” brand for this F1 car, but it’s just the same stuff in smaller bottles. This is what it looks like just from a good spray. I’d did t polish or buff this one at all:

There shouldn’t any any issue with this over carbon fiber as long as the epoxy resin is fully cured. That resin in some cases could be buffable, but if there’s any true structural load (may be negligible for a wing at street car speeds), I would t mess with that I case you burn through the epoxy later and get in to the actual CF. 

Depends on the quality of the surface to begin with. The 2k clears will work well over a smooth, but flat finish. They will also adhere well to gloss finishes (just not waxed). If there are a lot of surface imperfections, then I’d sand it back until at least 4-600 grit. 

I should have added the warning about 2k clears as well. They are great glosses, and very durable. But they are toxic while spraying. Good ventilation and a respirator are a must. I have a spray booth vented outside, so I would spray in to the booth with a respirator, then leave and close the door letting the booth run a couple hours to clear the room. 

I would consult a body shop.  You should also think about a flex and an anti-UV additive to prevent the clear from yellowing and cracking.   Seems like every other car I see at a meet with carbon parts has a yellowed or cracking clear coat. 

Any more details?  Is this a freshly fabricated carbon wing?  Is the weave exposed or has it been filled?  Are you going for looks or are you concerned with weight savings?