Mirage M-5A Mara 1/48

Hello. I present my last job Mirage M-5A Mara of Fuerza Aérea Argentina

Kit: Heller Mirage IIIC
Scale: 1/48
Scratch: Conversion to Mirage 5, Cockpit and ejection seat

Decals: Wingman Models IAI Nesher/Dagger/Finger WMK 48013, Condor Decals Argentine Deltas in Low Viz Schemme 48049
Extras: Wingman Models Radar warning receiver, Aconcagua Resin Models exhaust nozzle, Master Pitot Tube
Paints and colors: Humbrol, Gunze Mr.Color, AMMO.

Thanks for looking!

pmKWY3T1j

plIsS7lvj

pnuPxyF2j

plL78zmij

pmhx7j0hj

pob95dZij

poU9BS6Lj

poNu9tqyj

pnPLAtxaj

pmKbTr1cj

poApbEbWj

pl5BrZ0wj

pnSkZ5Y4j

ply0KtNyj

pmcvhjR0j

pmQxTCMej

• 2 weeks later...

:woot.gif: Wow… really impressive!

Welcome on board!

Paint looks very scaled-down; what type of mix did you use on each colour, exactly? Toned them down, some? And weathering is outstanding; the primer showing through. Paint chipping's real subtle. Oil streaks and stuff; very well done! :thumbsup:

The Heller kit is still one of my favourite Mirage kits in 1/48. It’s got the most accurate shape ever. About the only issue with that kit is the wrong windshield. It does look quite off from the front and side, some.

I've got some enquiry to make regarding this build. I take it that it's scratchbuilt; that you didn't use a resin conversion for this? Then how did you stretch the required 6.25mm to convert the Heller Mirage IIIC kit into a Mirage 5A?

I see that you dwell in Tandil; I've become sort of a Mirage expert. I was told by an Argentine modeller that it's possible to achieve this stretching simply by using the Heller Mirage IIIB forward fuselage parts. This modeller is really smart! Is that the way you did it?

Also, did you use the resin nose on the Wingman Models kit? What about the shorter engine shroud? This modeller also told me it's possible to shorten it directly on the model. And what about the underbelly 300-litre tank?

Cheers,

Onigiri

On 1/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, Doppelgänger said:

:woot.gif: Wow… really impressive!

Welcome on board!

Paint looks very scaled-down; what type of mix did you use on each colour, exactly? Toned them down, some? And weathering is outstanding; the primer showing through. Paint chipping's real subtle. Oil streaks and stuff; very well done! :thumbsup:

The Heller kit is still one of my favourite Mirage kits in 1/48. It’s got the most accurate shape ever. About the only issue with that kit is the wrong windshield. It does look quite off from the front and side, some.

I've got some enquiry to make regarding this build. I take it that it's scratchbuilt; that you didn't use a resin conversion for this? Then how did you stretch the required 6.25mm to convert the Heller Mirage IIIC kit into a Mirage 5A?

I see that you dwell in Tandil; I've become sort of a Mirage expert. I was told by an Argentine modeller that it's possible to achieve this stretching simply by using the Heller Mirage IIIB forward fuselage parts. This modeller is really smart! Is that the way you did it?

Also, did you use the resin nose on the Wingman Models kit? What about the shorter engine shroud? This modeller also told me it's possible to shorten it directly on the model. And what about the underbelly 300-litre tank?

Cheers,

Onigiri

Hello Onigiri
Thank you!

I will try to answer the questions, first of all, excuse my English.

Regarding the painting, a nice mixture ... for the brown I used H-83 and H-63 and cleared up with the White Mr Color 316. The green resulted from the combination of the H-78, H-84 and H -155. I do not remember the percentages, but I must have them written down. The lower part is Mr Color 316 and H-147.

You're right about the kit, it's my favorite too, but you have to work it a lot. Begin by re-scribing all the panels. The windshield issue tries to disguise it as best as possible, but it is a license.

The conversion of those 6.25mm is done just with the other parts of the kit that you say, and tons of putty.

The engine cover is cut out of the kit and carefully reduced with dremel, because I did not like working with resin.

The nose cone and the RWR sensors are from the wingman kit. I did not put the tank on it because I wanted to do it with the cleanest configuration.

I have the honor of living in Tandil city, where the 6th Air Brigade is located. Unfortunately, since 2015 we no longer hear the Deltas as they finished their service after 130,000 hours of flight.

I hope I have been helpful!!

Regards!

Juan Pedro.-

On 1/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, Mstor said:

Really nice job weathering! I don't suppose you have a build posted somewhere of this beauty?

Mstor

Thank you! 

Unfortunately I do not have photos of the process, I'm not used to taking pictures while I'm working.

Hola, Juan Pedro, mi amigo!

Thanks a lot for the reply; quite useful, indeed.

18 hours ago, Istrebitel said:

I did not put the tank on it because I wanted to do it with the cleanest configuration.

Oh, no; I meant the underbelly tank, aft of the main landing gear wells. It's about the only aftermarket you need to convert the Heller Mirage IIIC/B kit into a IIIE/5.

Mirages in a clean config are the sexiest aircraft there are! :thumbsup: I wholly agree.

18 hours ago, Istrebitel said:

I have the honor of living in Tandil city, where the 6th Air Brigade is located. Unfortunately, since 2015 we no longer hear the Deltas as they finished their service after 130,000 hours of flight.

Quite an honour! :worship: I can just but imagine how nice would have been to hear the roar of those powerful Deltas, and the glorious smell of the JP4 fuel which ensued. Better than going on holidays!

Incidentally; do you know what was of the Kalkin forum in Argentina? It's been a long time since I saw it up and running online.

Cheers JP; something tells me we're gonna make great mates you and I.

Onigiri 

4 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Oh, no; I meant the underbelly tank, aft of the main landing gear wells. It's about the only aftermarket you need to convert the Heller Mirage IIIC/B kit into a IIIE/5.

Mirages in a clean config are the sexiest aircraft there are! :thumbsup: I wholly agree.

Hi my friend!

Yeessss, you're right, I completely forget it!!!. I used the kinetic´s tank. When I have to build the Finger, I'll see how I solve it haha

4 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Incidentally; do you know what was of the Kalkin forum in Argentina? It's been a long time since I saw it up and running online.

I do not know what happened, but here you have it http://www.kalkin.net.ar/foro/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=7bacacc39a1a5337a47c6fca4761bed7

Un abrazo! Saludos!