ARC Discussion Forums
crackerjazz

I lost an arrow-head type of needle. Anyone know what it's called?

The other week while looking for a pin to make a pilot hole I came across a weird looking needle in my toolbox.  It looked like a normal sewing needle except that it had a narrow arrowhead-shaped tip.  When I used it I was surprised that I didn't need to switch to the drill bit -- this one made a pilot hole and drilled it out in one go.  It made a better tool than my tiny drill bit which often crept off-center.   An ordinary pin would create a raised ridge but this made nice flat holes.   You could see material being eaten away as you turn.   It became my favorite tool working on my MER and bombs for the past week.  I would make nice deep pilot holes with it and switch to the drill if I needed something deeper.  Then this morning while putting it on the pin vise it slipped and I heard it drop onto the wooden floor.    When I looked down it was gone.    I've turned the entire place upside down and nothing.   I even ran a postcard magnet across the floor in the hope of picking it up.    It had vanished just as mysteriously as it had appeared.  I want to get a new one but I've found nothing online.   I don't know where it came from and all my other pins are the ordinary kind.   Has anyone come across one before or know what it's called?   I truly enjoyed our week together -- she must have returned back to her world and I miss her already -- help please?  Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a hemstitch sewing machine needle. 

HTH

Tony

15 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Then this morning while putting it on the pin vise it slipped and I heard it drop onto the wooden floor.    When I looked down it was gone.    I've turned the entire place upside down and nothing.   I even ran a postcard magnet across the floor in the hope of picking it up.    It had vanished just as mysteriously as it had appeared. 

Oh, no... Have you checked the gaps between each of the strips in your wooden floor? That bit is right there waiting to be found.