ARC Discussion Forums
Spectre711

Jagdgeschwader Identification Band Colors

Can anyone tell me if the Jagdgeschwader identification bands were certain RLM colors?  I'm particularly interested to know what to use for the red that JG.1 used.

That can depend on what time period and what aircraft type.  The red could range from the standard RLM color to a mixed (?) brick red at times.

I'm building a RLM76 109 G-10 from late 1944.  Is it supposed to be a bright red?  I picked up some Model Master RLM 23 and it looks a bit pinkish orangey.

Edited by Spectre711

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

I'm building a RLM76 109 G-10 from late 1944.  Is it supposed to be a bright red?  I picked up some Model Master RLM 23 and it looks a bit orangey.

I think Model Master's rendition of RLM 23 is pretty poor. Going by the chip in the first Merrick book, 23 is a strong, bright red, not quite as dark as Model Master Insignia Red. Probably the Testors Flat Red in the little square bottle will get you pretty close.

Thanks, I'll have to check them out and see what I like.

I dont know if this color plate is fictional or not but I like it.

2_37.png

I imagine that the red Jg 1 used is close to the shade that Jg 301 had on their tail bands.

post-557-1217705650.jpg

I would try to get close to that.

Edited by Cool Hand

Spectre711 wrote: "I don't know if this color plate is fictional or not but I like it."

I admire Mr. Bastek's artwork, but I find his WW-I subjects to be more-accurate than this Bf 109G-6/AS.  It's 'sort-of' accurate, but Anders Hjortsberg has a better-rendered example, based on a photo of a real example, "weiße 1" of the 9./JG 1.  Note the correct depiction of the JG 1 emblem (PORTSIDE ONLY!), yellow beneath the cowl, the spiral spinner in the correct orientation for this one (and the majority of others, though not all), and black III Gruppe vertical bar unoutlined.

Here's a link to his page: http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/search/label/Bf109G-6%2FAS

He is careful in his work, and corrects his paintings in light of fresh evidence.  Unfortunately, while the photo that this one is based on appears in several books, the only example I have on this computer is low-res.  You can trust this profile.

There are other examples of overall-RLM76 Bf 109Gs

GRM

Bf109G6AS_9JG1_weisse-1_portside_byHjortsberg.jpg