Jagdgeschwader Identification Band Colors

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

I'm building a RLM76 109 G-10 from late 1944.  Is it supposed to be a bright red?  I picked up some Model Master RLM 23 and it looks a bit orangey.

I think Model Master's rendition of RLM 23 is pretty poor. Going by the chip in the first Merrick book, 23 is a strong, bright red, not quite as dark as Model Master Insignia Red. Probably the Testors Flat Red in the little square bottle will get you pretty close.

Spectre711 wrote: "I don't know if this color plate is fictional or not but I like it."

I admire Mr. Bastek's artwork, but I find his WW-I subjects to be more-accurate than this Bf 109G-6/AS.  It's 'sort-of' accurate, but Anders Hjortsberg has a better-rendered example, based on a photo of a real example, "weiße 1" of the 9./JG 1.  Note the correct depiction of the JG 1 emblem (PORTSIDE ONLY!), yellow beneath the cowl, the spiral spinner in the correct orientation for this one (and the majority of others, though not all), and black III Gruppe vertical bar unoutlined.

Here's a link to his page: http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/search/label/Bf109G-6%2FAS

He is careful in his work, and corrects his paintings in light of fresh evidence.  Unfortunately, while the photo that this one is based on appears in several books, the only example I have on this computer is low-res.  You can trust this profile.

There are other examples of overall-RLM76 Bf 109Gs

GRM

Bf109G6AS_9JG1_weisse-1_portside_byHjortsberg.jpg