F-4EJ questioon

I am preparing to model a Japanese F-4EJ Phantom.  I would like to load it with AIM-4 Falcons if this is a realistic operational load; but am not sure it is.

I have seen several photos of F-4EJ aircraft with the AIM-4 specific launcher (LAU-42) mounted, but I have never seen a photo of a Japanese Phantom with the actual AIM-4 missile mounted.    Makes me wonder if the Falcon ever reached operational status with the JASDF Phantom squadrons.    ?Perhaps those photos were of a trial fit or a bit of intentional misinformation by the intelligence lads?

Can anyone confirm that JASDF F-4 units did indeed have AIM-4 Falcons as an operational load early in their careers?    And roughly when they switched over to the more effective AIM-9 sidewinder?  A photo perhaps?

Thank you.

Hi,

I haven't seen a picture of an F-4EJ with a Falcon either.

Back in the 1970's, the F-4EJ's that made the most real QRA intercepts were probably from Chitose. They were undoubtedly photographed from the Russian aircraft that they intercepted.

Maybe there are pictures on websites with Russian input. I haven't been surfing to these kind of sites, but perhaps someone with Russian language skills could find something.

The relative remoteness of Chitose could explain that few pictures were made by outside photographers.

I've been to the new Chitose (during the F-15J era) and I have met Japanese photographers there, but maybe there weren't many in the 1970's.

Cheers, Stefan. 

I have seen a couple of photos of AIM-4Ds attached to L-41/42/43 rails on JASDF F-4EJs.

Probably in 1970s era Koku Fan magazines, though there was one drifting around the internet a few years ago. 

Serious omission from the Tamiya 1/32 F-4EJ kit. At least Hasegawa include something approximating the L-41/42/43 rails in its 1/48 F-4E/EJ kits and missiles can be had from one of its missile sets. 

But strictly 1970s AFAIK. 

Tony 

Thanks guys, your comments are very helpful!    I think I will mount AIM-4D Falcons on my F-4EJ.

A followup question if I may:    Does anyone know which model of sidewinder replaced the AIM-4D?     I'm presuming this took place sometime in the mid-70's so likely preceded their eventual use of the AIM-9L.   I'd guess either the -9E or -9J, but haven't seen photos to confirm.