1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MKM Flanker-H, Royal Malaysian Air Force, 2015

Hi all!

Well, it's that time again... Another finished project! This time it is the 1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MKM Flanker-H conversion from the base Su-30MKK kit using the Naza Model Art MKM conversion.  The build WIP thread can be viewed here:

The Su-30MKM is the Malaysia specific variant of the Su-30, based off of the Indian Su-30MKI.  It has canards and thrust vectoring exhaust in common with that aircraft, however there are many things that make the MKM unique among Flankers.  It utilizes western avionics from France and South Africa, and many feature not seen on other Flankers.

The twin-seat canard Flankers are among my favorite aircraft, however there is no kit in 1/48 of these variants (Su-30SM/MKI/MKM/MKA).  Thankfully, the somewhat recently released Hobby Boss Su-30MKK gets you close, and the Naza Model Art conversion kit gets you ALMOST there.  I also needed to do some scratchbuilding of the IFF "bird slicers" and a few other little things.  I also need thrust vectoring nozzles, so for those I used the AMUR Reaver TV nozzles, which are really nice.  I also used Fishbone Decals for the decals.

The Hobby Boss kit is really quite nice.  Great detail, and the fit is nearly perfect.  Easy to build, it is really a simple kit.  There are some inaccuracies in this kit, but they do not bother too much.  The Naza resin is very nice, and fit the kit quite well once the necessary plastic is removed.  This was my first conversion I have attempted, and I must say I was quite apprehensive about attempting it.  But I decided to just dive in and do it, and came away relieved.  I actually enjoyed it, and am glad the conversion parts fit well.  I am no longer afraid of doing another in the future.

I also used a Master Model Pitot, L'Arsenal Damocles Pod, and NeoMega Ejection Seats.

There are a few small inaccuracies with this build, mostly with the cockpit IPs.  But overall it is pretty close.

Kit: 1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MKK  no. 81714

Decals: Fishbone Su-30MKM Royal Malaysian Air Force

Aftermarket: Naza Model Art Su-30MKM Exterior Conversion Set, A.M.U.R. Reaver Thrust Vectoring Nozzles, L.Aresnal Damocles Pod w/Nahar Pylon, NeoMega K-36DM Seats, Master Model Pitot Tube

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (main aircraft primer base), Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat),   Mr Paint MRP-090 Lemon-Gray Russian aviation primer and MRP-181 Light Gray, Gunze Aqueous H335 Medium Seagray, and H331 Dark Seagray , Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Blue, and Clear Yellow, Gunze Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black (gloss black primer for metalwork) and Alclad II Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

On to the pic... Hope you like!

561802-16625-71.jpg

561803-16625-73.jpg

561806-16625-67.jpg

561807-16625-46.jpg

561808-16625-32.jpg

561809-16625-63.jpg

561810-16625-10.jpg

561801-16625-45.jpg

561186-16625-76.jpg

561146-16625-86.jpg

Congratulations on finishing this fine aircraft.  Was fun to watch being built.  How many months did you take to build this?

Of these three colors, which did you use for the primary camo:

MRP-181 Light Gray, Gunze Aqueous H335 Medium Seagray, and H331 Dark Seagray?

Edited by Jonathan S
On 1/12/2019 at 6:56 PM, rom said:

Awesome!!

Thanks Rom!  Always glad to have your feedback!

On 1/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Man, that looks mean!  Great job.  The exhausts add a lot of visual interest to the all gray scheme!   This is my favorite jet build of yours 👍🏻

Keep building!  More, more, LOL!

Steve

Thanks Steve, this is indeed also my favorite build of mine thus far.  I am just so stoked how it turned out, especially how much surgery was involved, and being the first time I have done such a task. 

As for building more, next up is 1/48 Hasegawa Ah-64D with some resin bits.  But compared to this one, the Apache should be a cakewalk.  I will be starting it after I return from Bali at the end of this month.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:33 PM, warthoglvr said:

Agreed!  Very sinister-looking.  Great job!

Thanks Andy!  Yeah, the twin seat Flankers, in particular, have a very "all business" look to them, and this scheme really brings that look out.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, Whiskey said:

Now that's what a Flanker should look like. Another amazing badass aircraft you have produced Michael. Congratulations.

Thanks Zach!  I always appreciate your kind words and support my friend!

On 1/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, Ichitoe said:

Absolutely fantastic job! Weathered perfectly to my eye. 

Thanks Ichitoe!  I wanted to do this one lightly weathered, as these jets seem to be anywhere from pristine to minor wear.  I too, am happy with how the weathering turned out!

17 hours ago, caudleryan said:

Absolutely beautiful! Those nozzles are incredible!

Thanks Ryan!  The AMR nozzles really are fantastic, and this is my second time using them.  I had previously used them on my KH Su-35.  This time I tried to tone down the colors a little bit, but I still wanted to keep the affect intact.  I am very pleased with how it turned out as I experimented a bit more this time.

9 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Yep, that's badass. Really nice job.

Thanks Paul, I really appreciate that coming from you.  It was great having you in the build thread and really appreciated your contribution and feedback.  I look forward to seeing your next project.

3 hours ago, dustiepal said:

Fantastic job, I really enjoyed your work in progress as well!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am glad you enjoyed the ride!  I only do WIP threads every so often, as most of my builds are pretty boring OOB builds with a little extra here and there.

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Congratulations on finishing this fine aircraft.  Was fun to watch being built.  How many months did you take to build this?

Of these three colors, which did you use for the primary camo:

MRP-181 Light Gray, Gunze Aqueous H335 Medium Seagray, and H331 Dark Seagray?

Thanks Jonathan!  I was honored to have you along for the ride.

For the overall coat, I used H335 Medium Seagray.  I had also considered H337 Grayish Blue, but decided to go with H335 in the end.

According to my Scalemates project summary, I started this on November 21st and finished on January 11th... So about 7 weeks start to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 3:10 AM, shan said:

wow, great job, just wished that it had more colour to the malaysian colour scheme

Thanks Shan!  I kinda like that about this scheme, as it is one of the few Flankers that are all one color, top and bottom.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, tonal said:

Awesome work, and I think the color scheme works beautifully.

Thanks tonal!  This is my favorite model that I have built so far (out of 34).

• 7 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, BastianD said:

Absolutely stunning!!

Thanks Bastian!  This is still my favorite build I have done so far.  🙂

On 9/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, Tapchan said:

Well... can't find words as it looks beautiful.

Thanks Tap, I appreciate that!

On 9/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, a4s4eva said:

Great build

Thanks Calum, I always appreciate your kind feedback.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:11 AM, Stephen said:

Superb work.

Thanks Sephen!!

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, I totally missed this.  Truly beautiful work!  I'm really amazed by your marbling weathering technique which always turns out looking very realistic.  Have you ever done a gray over white navy scheme and would you suggest using the same method for the underside?  I was about to try it on my build but chickened out.   I want to use that method next time.

6 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Michael, I totally missed this.  Truly beautiful work!  I'm really amazed by your marbling weathering technique which always turns out looking very realistic.  Have you ever done a gray over white navy scheme and would you suggest using the same method for the underside?  I was about to try it on my build but chickened out.   I want to use that method next time.

Thanks CJ, I am always glad to hear your feedback on my work!

I have done the marbling technique on two different gull gray over white builds, a Hobby Boss F3H-2 Demon and a Tamiya F-14A.  Both times I made the effect less noticeable since it seemed that paint scheme seemed to hold up a bit better than the later TPS.  I say go for it, underside too!  It is easy to control how much of the effect you let through just by how much paint you put down over it.   But be careful, it is easy to go to far quickly and lose the effect entirely.

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...