calling all mustang experts

Going to be doing a mustang build soon and got a few questions on accuracy on specific bird. my decal sheet shows P-51D-5-NA "Sebastian Jr." of

Capt. Robert Becker to have a bird with the fin fillet on the tail. I have researched a few builds and all the builds are early birds with no fin fillet. I haven't found any actual photos of this specific bird to prove if it did or didn't have a fin fillet. does anyone have photo of this bird? it has a tail code of 413517.

thanks!!!!

15 hours ago, randypandy831 said:

Going to be doing a mustang build soon and got a few questions on accuracy on specific bird. my decal sheet shows P-51D-5-NA "Sebastian Jr." of

Capt. Robert Becker to have a bird with the fin fillet on the tail. I have researched a few builds and all the builds are early birds with no fin fillet. I haven't found any actual photos of this specific bird to prove if it did or didn't have a fin fillet. does anyone have photo of this bird? it has a tail code of 413517.

thanks!!!!

That P-51 was one of the first 800 P-51D's that were built WITHOUT a dorsal fin. It was most likely delivered and entered service without one. That being said, the dorsal fin was provided as a field mod kit and was added to many of the aircraft in the field. You can even find pictures of the fin added to P-51B/C's.( although the last few "C" models built rolled of the line with the fillet added

For example, this famous picture has both fined and non-fined D models:

bott4-jpg.423800

and here is a "C" model with one fitted in the field:

43-12375FT-EBonnieB.jpg

now, to answer your question about the discrepancies, the pictures I can find do not show the tail, only the nose. Many people may have made assumptions one way or another. it may even have had no fillet at first, then had one added.

Without any real photographic proof, it can go either way. Do what makes your heart happy!!

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

I think in one of the books I have there is a photo. I will take a look today and see. Off the top of my head I don't think it did and what Sean said I agree with him.

I do remember the 'O' in the codes had some thing different.

I will get back to you.

Rick

Sorry this is the best I can do and the tail is not in the photo but the other two P-51D's that I cropped off do not have the dorsal fin. The photo is in 'To War with the Yoxford Boys' printed by Eagle Edition.

Rick

Scan898889.jpg

Edited by rpeck
10 hours ago, rpeck said:

Sorry this is the best I can do and the tail is not in the photo but the other two P-51D's that I cropped off do not have the dorsal fin. The photo is in 'To War with the Yoxford Boys' printed by Eagle Edition.

Rick

Scan898889.jpg

That's actually a great photo!. If you look at my earlier post, you will see the fin fillet front lines up almost with the aft edge of the national insignia. Your pictures, while it doesn't show the fin, shows enough of the rear fuselage to see that there is NO fillet at that time!

That would be a perfect reference. Camo lines, kill markings, weathering. It is a perfect "in the moment" reference, and as it has invasion stripes, you can do the build for the D-Day GB!!

Sean