Warbirds Decals 48-035, OR ANG on Revell F-15C?

I really like the OR ANG 173rd FW commemorative markings.

OR-ANG-173-FW-F-15-C.jpg

Does anybody here know if the Warbirds Decals 48-035 sheet, which are sized for the Tamiya kit, will fit the Revell F-15C (85-5823)  kit?

If Hobbico hadn't folded, I would have asked Revell for a set. I also asked Warbird, but perhaps somebody here as direct experience...

I got those decals for a Hasegawa F-15C kit I have. I hope they'll fit OK. I didn't know they were specific to the Tamiya kit. That is such an old and not that accurate kit. Why would they fit it to that one? I would think fitting to the Hasegawa kit more sensible.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I got those decals for a Hasegawa F-15C kit I have. I hope they'll fit OK. I didn't know they were specific to the Tamiya kit. That is such an old and not that accurate kit. Why would they fit it to that one? I would think fitting to the Hasegawa kit more sensible.

The part I worry about most is the vertical stabilizer, as that needs to fit from leading to trailing edge.

17 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

The part I worry about most is the vertical stabilizer, as that needs to fit from leading to trailing edge.

You're right. I'll have to get them out and the kit and do some measuring.

I pulled out my Hasegawa F-15C and checked the tail decals against the Hasegawa tails. They are very close, just a fraction of a mm wider at the top than the tail pieces in the kit. I think they will fit, BUT, on closer examination of the decals, the printing quality is not as good as I thought. The areas where colors fade into one another are that kind of printing that uses dots of color. Someone will know what I mean. So, I found a Revell kit on eBay and bought that. The review I saw that had close ups of the decals in the Revell kit look much nicer. Hopefully they will fit the Hasegawa kit too.

51 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I did the box art model for the Revell kit. The decals were nicely done in my opinion.

There are photos of the decals on the Aeroscale sites review of the kit. They look real nice. Now I'm just hoping they will fit my old Hasegawa kit. I think GWH/Pit Road did a release of their F-15C with the same scheme, but those are a bit too costly.

1 hour ago, Reddog-03 said:

Revell has been half-toning their decals for decades.

From the photos in the Aeroscale review, it does not look like they are halftoned. Here's a link:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=13378

Compare them to GWH decals shown in this review where the halftoning is definitely visable:

http://www.modellbauforum-koeln.de/index.php/Thread/4782-F-15C-Oregon-ANG-75th-Annversary/?postID=120160#post120160

My only concern, beside fit, with the Revell decals is the colors. In the photos the colors look off compared to pics of the real thing. The Warbirds and GWH decals are closer to the real colors, based on the photos I've seen (plus I have the Warbirds decals).

On 1/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I did the box art model for the Revell kit. The decals were nicely done in my opinion.

Darren, what you accomplish with Revell kits is nothing short of miraculous.

I just started working on one of those Revell F-15's to hang from the ceiling of my classroom.  

I just received the Revell kit. Most of the colors on the decals are halftoned, but they are a MUCH finer halftone than the Warbird or GWH decals. I found another company call Fishbone Inc. that did a set of these decals and, in fact, appear to have done the Revell decals. They appear identical. The pics of the Fishbone decals look a little better as far as color saturation and I can't tell if they are halftoned too (couldn't tell the Revell ones were from photos either). Fishbone decals are only available on Facebook by contacting them directly. The 75th ANG decals were released in 2016 so I don't hold much hope of there being any available, but I am contacting them anyway.

I compared the Revell decals to the Hasegawa tails and it looks like they will fit perfectly. So, push comes to shove, I will use a combination of Warbird and Revell decals.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would follow up on this thread as I did order and receive the decals from Fishbone, Inc.

I contacted Fishbone a while back and they told me that their decals were not halftoned and that they could print up a set for me. The cost was $45 which included shipping from Malaysia. I bit the bullet and ordered them, hoping that I would get a high quality decal set. I received the decals today and I am rather disappointed. First, they are halftoned. It is a very fine halftone, about the same as the Revell decals. The color saturation is poor and the resolution of the images is less than either the Revell or Warbird decals, creating some jagged edges on curves and diagonals. There are also inaccuracies, which are shared with the Revell decals. In fact, the Fishbone decals are virtually identical to the Revell decals except in the size of some of the decals. The Warbird decals are the most accurate. The problems with the Fishbone/Revell decals are with the decals for the inner vertical stabilizers and the shape of the eagle beak. The decals for the outer vertical stabilizer are much too large for either the Revell or Hasegawa kits (and probably the GWH ones too though I didn't check those). The font used for the ID letter/numbers (modex?) on the outer vertical stabilizers on the Fishbone/Revell decals is also off, being too tall and narrow. Finally, both Fishbone and Revell are completely missing the marking that go one the spine of the aircraft (included with the Warbird decals). One the plus side, when Fishbone said they would print up a set I thought they would be ALPS, Laser or Ink Jet printed, but the weren't, they are silk-screened.

So, Warbirds decals, as noted, are the most accurate, but use rather coarse halftones in areas. Revell's decals have some inaccuracies, but use much finer halftones. Finally, Fishbone's have the same inaccuracies as the Revell decals, poor color saturation and some sizing issues. I will probably use a combination of the Warbird and Revell decals. I can't recommend the Fishbone decals at this time.

P.S. The decals that come with the GWH kit, though using a coarse halftone, appear to be identical to the Warbird decals in accuracy.

Edited by Mstor