My airbrush just died- recommendations?

Hello all,

Well my trusty old Tamiya Sprayworks HG III just sprayed it’s last.  The nozzle assembly sheared at the juncture of where it screws into the main body frame.  I knew something went wrong when the paint instantly shot up out of the cup while spraying.  Half the microscopic screw body is way back in the body - it’s done.  I’m looking for a replacement and I’ve head good things about the Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.  Seems a little pricey, but I’m curious what you all might recommend.  I’m tempted to just buy another Sprayworks since that’s what I know.    

Thoughts?  

Steve

PS, here’s the project I was working on

PqsEoWG.jpg

9Q6XVgN.jpg

LJqCsJL.jpg

Very rough rough mottling and camo with the RLM 70  - still a lot of work to do!

47 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

How does it do with mottling?

Really nice.  I'd post a photo but I'm away for a month and my model airplane photos are on the desktop at home.  You can get really fine lines like those 'squiggle' patterns on German night fighters and you can get a nice mottle as well.  You can spray with lower pressures and get quite close to the model.  The dual action lets you adjust paint flow very easily.

Sorry to hear about the probem you experienced. That must have been very frustrating in the middle of painting your model.

It looks the the Tamiya HG is a gravity feed airbrush. 

If you want to fix it,  you can probably remove the broken piece of the nozzle with the right tool, Badger uses a 3 edged reamer to screw the nozzles into the head of the legend series airbrushes. This is a similar process to trying to get the broken part out of your airbrush body.

If you want a similar airbrush,  you might look at the Grex Xgi .. I have used the Xgi for a few years and it is very versatile. The plastic grips are love it or hate it, but I really like them. 

Th Badger Patriot 105 and Patriot Arrow are also very versatile with the different needle / nozzle setups.

For really fine detail, the Sotar 20/20 is a great complement to the Patriot.

I have never used an Iwata Airbrush, but the HP-CS looks like a good choice, and it has a floating nozzle so you do not have to worry about the nozzle breaking the same way. 

Lots of good choices out there, you will probably be fine as long as you avoid the cheap knock off airbrushes.  

21 hours ago, AX 365 said:

Really nice.  I'd post a photo but I'm away for a month and my model airplane photos are on the desktop at home.  You can get really fine lines like those 'squiggle' patterns on German night fighters and you can get a nice mottle as well.  You can spray with lower pressures and get quite close to the model.  The dual action lets you adjust paint flow very easily.

Just to add to this, I've seen them seriously marked down at Hobby Lobby. Actually cheaper than using the 40% off deal. 

I've had that same Iwata for quite awhile, and really like it. Had to put it away for awhile till my hands heal up. Switched over to a Neo  pistol grip. Like it, but it's not the brush the Eclipse is! I bought the Eclipse to paint the squiggly camo pattern on a 1/32 Storch. Tried to do the pattern (card board) with my H1, and an Aztec, plus a couple others. A friend loaned me his Eclipse, and never looked back!!!

Lately, I've seen seriously marked down Badger brushes. Never owned one, but used their best one once. Nice brush!

Gary

Edited by ChesshireCat
Your stupid auto correction
16 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Just to add to this, I've seen them seriously marked down at Hobby Lobby. Actually cheaper than using the 40% off deal. 

I've had that same Iwata for quite awhile, and really like it. Had to put it away for awhile till my hands heal up. Switched over to a Neo  pistol grip. Like it, but it's not the brush the Eclipse is! I bought the Eclipse to paint the squiggly camo pattern on a 1/32 Storch. Tried to do the pattern (card board) with my H1, and an Aztec, plus a couple others. A friend loaned me his Eclipse, and never looked back!!!

Lately, I've seen seriously marked down Badger brushes. Never owned one, but used their best one once. Nice brush!

Gary

Good to know as well - thanks for the info!

I will also advocate for an Iwata HP-CS. Sprays brilliantly, very high quality, and easy to clean.  Lots of add ons you can do over time (tips, needles, quick release connections) and if you can find one at hobby lobby you can get a great bargain. 

4 hours ago, jester292 said:

I will also advocate for an Iwata HP-CS. Sprays brilliantly, very high quality, and easy to clean.  Lots of add ons you can do over time (tips, needles, quick release connections) and if you can find one at hobby lobby you can get a great bargain. 

Just be aware that you can not use the 40% off coupon on "your price" items...Which includes airbrushes. I tried last night. 

Aaron 

35 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Can't help on the airbrush, I'm still using an Ancient Badger 350 but I really like your Bf-109!  Which kit is that?

Thanks 11bee.  It’s the Eduard Bf 109G-2 overtrees and I am using Eduard Bunny Fighter Club decals for Werner Schroer’s aircraft.  The BFC decals cover all the aircraft from the original royal class boxing of Eduard’s first hack at the Bf 109G.  👍🏻   It’s a cool scheme with the red tail and red 1 tactical markings against the desert camo.  

On 1/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, foxmulder_ms said:

I *really* like my PS770 from Mr. Hobby. 0.18mm. It is better than my infinity 100%. Infinity triggers are flimsy. I think it is also better than Iwata Hi-line HP-CH which was my go to for many years. 

The PS770 really looks like a nice airbrush. Read/watched some reviews and boy am I tempted. I have an Infinity and I like it a lot. Especially the ease with which one can clean it, but I have realized that there is another higher level of airbrush out there and I'd like to dip my toe into that pond. Price has always been the problem, but the PS770 is around the same price as the Infinity.

All that to say, thanks for pointing out the PS770. Time to save some money. :thumbsup:

On 1/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, strikeeagle801 said:

Just be aware that you can not use the 40% off coupon on "your price" items...Which includes airbrushes. I tried last night. 

Aaron 

Darn. Too bad. I used one on my Iwata but it was years ago. 

On 1/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, Mstor said:

The PS770 really looks like a nice airbrush. Read/watched some reviews and boy am I tempted. I have an Infinity and I like it a lot. Especially the ease with which one can clean it, but I have realized that there is another higher level of airbrush out there and I'd like to dip my toe into that pond. Price has always been the problem, but the PS770 is around the same price as the Infinity.

All that to say, thanks for pointing out the PS770. Time to save some money. :thumbsup:

One thing to note, PS770 is heavier than infinity. I like this feature of it too but some may not. I seriously dislike infinity trigger. I assigned it for just general coverage stuff with .4mm needle 😄