Random question -Why don't F-16s have formation light strips?

2 hours ago, Geoff M said:

Just curious.  All modern fighters seem to have these but I just noticed in looking at some pictures that F16s don't.  What do they use instead?

Geoff M

I asked that same question a few years back. It always struck me as odd, especially sine they added them to A-10's. Why don't F-16's need them?

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

Position lights.

Block 60 F-16s do have them now.

Nice one Gary, did not notice until you said so. I see in the photos of the UAE F-16s that there is a small one on the nose and one on the tail.

They were tested on some OT&E jets at Nellis 20+ years ago. Long since removed so one can assume they were found to not add any advantage to night formation flying on Vipers. There are pics out on the net of Blk 42 Cmodels with WA tails and slime lights.

They did add IR lights that did more than just aid formation, they were probably better, more flexble and less maintenance than slime lights.  

Or it could have just been a test during Blk 60 development. That’s speculation though.