After some delays, mainly some minor injuries from a bad parachute landing I have finally started my D-Da7 C-47.  I'll be building it at Turf & Sport Special, an aircraft I have seen many times since it is in the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB, DE where I was stationed for a few years and still visit often since my wife is from there.   

WMpvQVrh.jpg

CTYZxcWh.jpg

micJt0fh.jpg

qYiOlych.jpg

yD3iTlth.jpg

0DG0qQrh.jpg

8b7FwZ3h.jpg

Edited by nspreitler

Making progress today on the interior, I'm not sure how much I'll actually do since almost none of it will be visible.  The kit comes with a very detailed troop compartment including seat belts for all the troop seats but the idea of about 100 pieces of photoetch for seatbelts that will no be seen isn't my idea of fun so I may skip those.  

Originally I had planned to do this as a D-Day aircraft, however for D-Day it was outfitted with cargo containers to drop equipment and I am not sure how to replicate that.   I am leaning towards doing it as it looked for Marker Garden, with the D-Day stripes partially removed and the aircraft showing some significant wear and tear.  

xCw71KKh.jpg

QMkoCn3h.jpg

Very cool! That's really terrific that you have some primary documentation! Especially for the antennas, which varied wildly! Is the aircraft at the museum that specific aircraft or painted up as such? 

I have this kit in the stash, too, so it will be nice to see yours come together. :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...

A little work this evening, I added all the windows.   Unlike the Monogram kit these are all individual which is nice, but always worry me since the mount from the inside and if not well secured they would be easy to knock loose inside the fuselage.  I used some carefully applied TET to make sure that doesn't happen rather than a clear parts cement.   

Finally some progress , closed the fuselage, I really didn't worry too much about the interior and I'm glad I didn't.  Even if the cockpit door is open there is almost nothing that can be seen.   The fit on the fuselage wasn't great, some of that may have been user error but there are few locating pins and especially on the bottom the fit was not good at all.   I used a lot of tape to hold it together and it will still take some sanding to eliminate the seam.  

LeToyJoh.jpg

BOr3WJDh.jpg

MnMFXZyh.jpg

j9ZqgQbh.jpg

Still making progress, I skipped ahead to the engines which are quite nicely detailed with full exhaust and engine mounts.  My main complaint is the molded on wiring harness and some vague locating points.  I’m probably going to attempt to add the wiring and potentially leave one engine exposed.   

The engines are mounted, these are interesting sub assemblies that I made mistakes on.   To do the final assembly requires a lot of alignment, but along the way there are not positive locating points, so it's very easy to end up with engines that don't fit.   Fortunately most of the mistakes can be easily fixed, but it isn't well engineered.   There is still some work to do, but I hope to get the wings closed up tomorrow.   Then I'll be forced to take a break for a couple weeks as I'll be gone for work, but I'll still be checking in on the progress of the other builds here. 

2D5VNMeh.jpg 

lOrRjLuh.jpg 

Edited by nspreitler

The major assemblies are on, the fit wasn't as good as I expected, but it will work.    Trumpeter includes very nice detail for the flaps, but I am still undecided if I will use much of it, since I am considering putting this in a diorama setting and I've yet to find a picture of a C-47 with the flaps down on the ground.   I'm using a set on Montex masks which fit well.   They will also be used for the invasion stripes, national insignia, and aircraft code letters.   I'm looking forward to seeing how that works, it will be my first attempt at painting the major markings instead of using decals.   

oGiLrWD.jpg 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh, don't you know it.  I feel luck that I get a few hours on the weekends.  Looking forward to seeing this one done, as I saw the Turf & Sport Special at Dover a couple of years ago and it's a good looking bird!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time, seams are filled, need to add the flaps do some sanding and then it will be nearly ready for paint.   

A few things about this kit are frustrating. The fit isn't very good leaving a lot of annoying small seams, some of that may be my error but not all of it.   The sprue attachment points are okay but not flush with the parts leaving bumps that have to be shaved off with an Xacto knife instead of a good design that can be removed with a good set of sprue cutter.

Making progress and should be done in time.  This thing has seams that do not want to go away, and I've taken off more surface detail than I would like.  I'll rescribe most of it.  The tail and flaps are on, prepping for paint.   With some luck I'll have it ready for paint by next weekend.   

• 1 month later...