Hey Folks, 

I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on a project I’ve been mulling over for a while now. I would like to build a 57th FIS F-4E out of Keflavik. Something about the long nose Rhino in ADC Gray! I need help with the following:

1. Best 1/48 Scale F-4E? I have the Hasegawa Korean Air Force F-4E, 30yr Anniversary kit, and the Promodeler rebox of the early E.

2. I’m using Mr Paints currently but can’t seem to source ADC Gray through that brand. What are some good suggestions for that color?

3. What is the best aftermarket cockpit/ejection seats for the E?

4. What decals are out there besides the Experts’ Choice sheet? 

5. What is a good source for Data and Stencils?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

T.

I'll defer to other, more experienced Phantom mavens for most of your questions. However, I did do a Hasegawa F-4E a couple of years ago and used a True Details set originally produced by KMC and thought it was pretty good. Certainly wasn't a nightmare getting it to fit in the kit fuselage.

Model Master does FS 16473 in both their enamel and acrylic lines. I personally would stay away from the acrylic; the enamel is no. 1731. They call it "Aircraft Gray."

Lifecolor also does 16473: UA 041 "gloss aircraft gray." I've had no experience with that brand.

There's also Mission Models Paints MMP-102 and AK Interactive AK2146.

I believe the Promodeler boxings of the F-4E are Hasegawa reboxings. Essential the same kit as the F-4EJ kits, i.e. an early F-4E. Until Zoukei-Mura release their F-4E, supposedly this year, the Hasegawa kits are the best ones you will find.

For the kit I’d go with Hasegawa at the moment; scribed, fit, shape. For seats True Details will get the job done and are pretty accurate except for some small details. Micro Scale did an ADC gray 57th FIS sheet and I’ve got it. For paint MM 16473 is excellent. It sprays nicely, is glass smooth, can be rubbed out and looks like ADC Gray. PM me if you want to work something out on those decals.

Go with the Experts Choice Decals. They're not bad. I've seen a few builds with the and they turned out fine from what I saw. Jake is doing a sheet with some of them on it and I can't wait personally, the more options the better. He added a F-4C from the 57th on his last Phantom sheet, C-model Spooks, and if you really wanted to you could use those unit markings and a transplanted sharkmouth to make an -E I suppose.