Lots of factors in that question and how you applied it is not provided.

Applied correctly via either hairy stick or airbrush it will give a nice hard gloss.

The question is, what exactly is the definition of 'applied correctly'.

A light airbrushing will indeed give a satin finish, for any of several reasons - too light a coat; or spraying from far enough away that the paint mist has begun drying before it reached the model; or several other causes.

Application with hairy stick can end up a satin look via the clear being absorbed in to a thick-bodied flat such as PollyScale.

As an aside, similar can happen with spray can enamels, remember once in 1970s when some Pactra flat olive drab ate multiple coats of Testors glosscote before there was any discernible sheen to the finish.

Okay. When airbrushing the stuff both the amount of thinning and what it was thinned with are factors. Have tried thinning with several things and have consistently found that Tamiya's own thinner is best for their X-22 clear gloss.
And in my experience the starting point for the clear to thinner mix is 50/50 -- it would not be unusual to need more thinner.

As for the PSI numbers, I don't know, have never measured it, never hooked up a gauge to the little Badger compressor I use.

I use Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50. Start with a light coat from about 4-5 inches away. Then lay down a wet coat. Not too wet, you don't want it to run. I end up with a smooth, high gloss finish. Love it.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I use Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50. Start with a light coat from about 4-5 inches away. Then lay down a wet coat. Not too wet, you don't want it to run. I end up with a smooth, high gloss finish. Love it.

I do the same. 

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

Same here.

This stuff is the shiznit!  I just used it for the first time on a recent build.  Much better than Future.   Only trick is (as noted above) is to put it on in wet coats.   I used a 40/60 mix of X-22 and Tamiya lacquer thinner.    Had a few areas that came out satin-ish.   That's on me for not being close enough.   A round of touch-up work and all was well. 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, Greenghost said:

Hey guys,

I used Tamiya X-22 for first time and was expecting a gloss finishing instead I ended up with a satin finishing, is this correct?

Thank you

You didn't mention how many coats, I'm guessing one? Usually it takes multiple coats to get glossy level. The first coat usually gets flatten out by the flat paint. 

This one took 4 coats of X-22 over Tamiya flat paint. I used their brand thinner 50% mix with X-22.

46791740812_6380ca7eb4_z.jpg

2 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

I've been using Doog's (from youtube) advice and finishing with a light mist of straight mr color leveling thinner after applying X-22.  Seems to work.  

Yes, forgot this!