So, I’ve both black based and preshaded Models... but never both together. I tried blackbasing for the first time recently and liked the effect on my hasegawa F/A-18F. I then used a black wash to bring out panel lines. I was curious though if it’s possible to do both? Or would that be too busy?

My thought is black base the model, then Marble cost it. Then go back with a darker brown or something like that (but still lighter than the black base coat) and only preshade a few major panel lines, not all of them. Then paint over with the thinned top coat.

Would this work or would it just be too much?

Edited by Jimd0586

Why not give it a try and let us know what happens?  

I'm a total noob, but that seems like it may have its merits for certain paint schemes.  I think it may be overkill for other schemes.   I don't know anything, though, I haven't even finished my first model back in this hobby... so my opinion is essentially worthless, lol. 

the effectiveness of black basing and pre-shading ultimately depends on your application of the main colour coats over it, no ?

It's all user dependant and no one here can say if it is too much or little.

Good luck

Tony