1/48 US Army L-19 decorations wanted

I have satisfied myself that decals associated with the US Army's L-19's aren't to be had. What would do the job nicely is a set of lettering and numbers, yellow on an OD aircraft, black on an orange one (Alaskan instrument trainer) that I could use to make up a believable but not authentic pre-Viet-Nam Bird dog.  My kit decals are for either gray US Air Force or gray Vietnamese Air Force machines.  Not much use in decorating an Army version. 

If anyone knows of a commercial set that could be used, I'd be grateful.

Thanks, folks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 8:26 PM, peter havriluk said:

I have satisfied myself that decals associated with the US Army's L-19's aren't to be had. What would do the job nicely is a set of lettering and numbers, yellow on an OD aircraft, black on an orange one (Alaskan instrument trainer) that I could use to make up a believable but not authentic pre-Viet-Nam Bird dog.  My kit decals are for either gray US Air Force or gray Vietnamese Air Force machines.  Not much use in decorating an Army version. 

If anyone knows of a commercial set that could be used, I'd be grateful.

Thanks, folks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:22 AM, hblecha said:

My experience from some 60 years ago regarding the L-19 markings was basically all L-19s were OD with black markings. I participated in a project to evaluate the effectiveness of a program to do aerial observation at 50 ft vs the usual 2000 ft at that time. All of the L-19s were the OD with black markings. The only time I recall the OD with yellow markings was during demos at Ft Sill where the L-19s  participated. AOA Decals has a decal sheet that covers the L-19. Haven't looked at it recently, but it may cover what you are looking for. Now if I could only find all my pics from that era. I shot a lot of pics. but it is 35mm slides. Long before the digital world we live in today. Sorry if this seems wishy-washy, but its been a long time ago. HTH. Any questions give me a shout.

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

Edited by hblecha

Henry, thanks for the suggestion.  For some reason, your comments just showed up today (one month less a day after your message was timestamped).  I'd previously bought a set of Beaver US Army decals, and for my shelf-model purposes, I think they will do the job I wanted.

Much obliged. 

Pete

Actually I redid my comments.  Not sure what happened to my original posting. My intent was to provide a different alternative based on my experience at that time. You had a suggestion from someone else to consider the Beaver option. While I was at Ft Sill becoming a true redleg in 1960 we had a number of demos of weapons, planes and helicopters that existed in the Army at that time. Yellow markings on OD planes and helicopters was pretty common. The flying part of my life at that time was done at Ft Hood.  Glad you were able to find what you needed. If the need should arise again you might consider the AOA sheet(s). That were released in all three primary scales.

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

Edited by hblecha

Thanks, Henry.  Maybe you can dredge your memory as to how the interiors of OD L-19's were painted during your Fort Hood days?  The kit painting instructions  are for all gray SEA aircraft, which does me not much good.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  And i'm building shelf models for my own satisfaction, so FS numbers are overkill,  but general comments would be really helpful.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  Managed to squeeze in a couple trips to Pasadena to set me up for a medical procedure. Go back again in early April. Anyway I dredged ye olde memory bank and came up with nothing. Not sure that I even took any pictures while I was down there. Its one thing in kinda observe the plane while walking out to it as opposed to paying attention to the interior details over the next hour or so.The only thing I can recall is the interior not being a dark color. I did take some pictures of a light observation plane at the Warhawk Museum in Nampa, ID some 5 years ago. I think it was an L-19. Could have been an L-4 or a L-5.  I do believe they may still be in the camera. Will download them and see what I have.  Will get back to you. Hopefully much sooner.

Ciao!!  From the edge of nowhere.

Henry

I remember back in the 1960s (late), there was a group near where I lived.  They were gloss FS-1087, and International Orange FS-19197.  They used to fly low before the fireworks on July 4.  Streaming red, white and blue smoke, really low.  Below is the information you need.
INTERIOR COLORS
All cockpit and interior FS-34151 Interior Green

Upolstry plastic coated fabric FS-34092

Seats FS-34086

Instrument panel FS-36231 Dk. Gull Gray, black instrument faces

OUTSIDE

Overall gloss od FS-14087

Lettering gloss FS-13538, except gloss white FS-17587 "ARMY" on sides

I did an electric-powered r/c Bird Dog in the orange livery.  That one, I could see.   Anti-camouflage!  I took some pictures of one at an EAA convention and it sure was different, and that's the one I copied.

Thanks for the interior colors.  Most definite I've seen.  Much obliged.