P-47D Question

There's a wonderful book out there called "Fighter Command: American Fighters in Original WW2 Color".  It's my "go to" book for whenever I wonder the same thing.  As Peter stated, it all depended on the conditions to which the plane was exposed.  I've done many-a-Thunderbolt and Mustang in both shiny and dull metal finishes and everything in between.  The best part is that all versions of the finish look really good.  

I love looking at pictures of B-29s taken on Tinian.  It's neat to see how reflective and almost mirror-like those B-29s were.  At the same time, in that book I mentioned above, there are pictures of P-51s that are rather dull parked next to Thunderbolts which have a nice shine on them.

I think it would be best to check out color photos from back then and decide from there.  Just rest assured that you really can't go wrong with whichever route you take.

Eric

Thanks guys for the input. This project has been shelved for the time being. My buddy's Monte Carlos transmission crapped out on him yesterday. He will be spending all the money he has and then some to repair it and pay for the rental. But when he is ready for me to build it I will keep your input in mind.