Favorite Air Museums?

I think Pima is my favorite. I really like post war US subjects, and Pima has just about one of everything.

One I have not seen mentioned is the Air Mobility Command museum at Dover. The collection is focused on Transport and Refueling aircraft. They have a monthly open aircraft day between April and November.  Since the collection is mostly air lifters. you can walk around and get a good look inside big aircraft.  

Been to these state side museums: USAF,  Naval Aviation, Robins Museum of Aviation, the Eglin Armament Museum, The Patriot Point Naval Museum and the Fantasy of Flight Museum and they're all pretty good.  I've also been to these UK museums:  Shuttleworth Collection, the RAF Museum and IWMs @ Duxford and in London and they were all amazing.    

Well, San Diego has the USS Midway and Balboa Park Air and Space as mentioned but the Marines moved their museum from El Toro to MCAS Miramar after MCAS El Toro closed down years ago. Not sure if it's still there or open though. Further north is the California Science Center Air and Space Museum. It doesn't have much in the way of aircraft but it does have the sole surviving F-20 Tigershark, an A-12 Oxcart/Blackbird, as well as the Space Shuttle Endeavor. At one time there was an F-104 Starfighter attached to an exterior wall but I didn't notice it the last time I was there about ten years ago, it may have been taken down after the Northridge Quake of '94. 

Santa Monica Airport has the Museum of Flying, the last I visited was in the mid-'90s in a huge building with access to the flight line. I'My wife and I are planning to visit this spring and check out their new building. There are also single aircraft located in parks in the Los Angeles Area, off hand I remember seeing a Douglas F3D/F-10 Skynight night fighter in a park in Lakewood Ca as well as an F-104 in a park in Beautiful Burbank. NAWS Pt. Mugu has it's Missile Park between the main gate and the end of the runway. NAWS China Lake has a Museum on base as well as various aircraft along one of the main roads of the base. The HH-1K there has been restored a couple of times, the first time around myself and other members of HAL-5/HCS-5 did the majority of the work for its initial unveiling. The second time around the Marines got their hands on it, as a condition for their help we had to, reluctantly for some of us :whistle:, allow them to put the word 'MARINE' on one side of the tail boom. (Still say it's heresy)

North of Bakersfield Ca is the Minter Field Air Museum, here's the link to their website s you can see what they have as I've not been there in years. The hours it seems are hit or miss but should you get in you'll like the collection of artifacts from the airport's time as a training field.

https://www.minterfieldairmuseum.com/index.html  

Edwards AFB and Mojave Space Port are to the east of Bakersfield and there are things on display at both places. Not only does Edwards have their own history exhibits but NASA has a museum of their own onboard the AFB. And as mentioned Castle's Museum is still a going concern but some exhibits were moved to March it seems, like the YA-9A. That was up in Atwater when the base was open. A little bit about their Vulcan, during the trip I took with the local CAP squadron as a Sr Member and chaperone we were informed that the RAF asked for the end of the Vulcan's IFR probe be loaned to them during the Falklands war. It turned out that the Vulcans in then-current RAF service were missing this piece of gear. So, it was loaned out and returned after the war was over. Whether that was true or not I don't know but it was something I remember from that trip. 

While it's been a while since I visited some of these I did enjoy each visit. The Santa Manica museum has or had a lot of Douglas and Lockheed related items on display along with things from North American Aviation. That was one place I wish I had had a decent camera when I visited. 

Edited by HCS-5 AO1
5 hours ago, HCS-5 AO1 said:

Well, San Diego has the USS Midway and Balboa Park Air and Space as mentioned but the Marines moved their museum from El Toro to MCAS Miramar after MCAS El Toro closed down years ago. Not sure if it's still there or open though.

It is, named the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum:

https://flyingleathernecks.org/

My all time favorites are the AF museum in Dayton and the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

Two that haven't been mentioned yet aren't big but well worth the visit are the Museum of Aviation at Warner Robbins AFB and the Mighty 8th museum in Savanna.

:cheers: Cheers

Itch

Edited by Cajun21

Udvar Hazy in DC is amazing, as in the Air & Space Museum on the Mall.     Another I really like is the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB.   It has a great collection of cargo and tanker aircraft, C-141, C-5, C-123, C-124 C-130, C-47, KC-97, and many more plus a really nice B-17G.     The Air Force Space Command Museum on Peterson AFB is nice, I spent a lot of time volunteering there restoring a P-47N.   It has a a collection of interceptors used for air defense, F-102,F-106, F-4, F-94, etc.   

Here is the last pic, I got limited on file size for the post above.

IMG_2113.JPG.881ad03c02b62069a702b00786b4d9f2.JPG

It's really a pretty cool museum.   Full access to the aircraft and they have some pretty unique exhibits.  Only thing is, it's on base property so you will have the pleasure of stepping out of your vehicle while it is searched by a couple of AF security police rocking M4's and full body armor.   In my case, not a bad thing since both of the ones who went through my truck were smoking hot (and extremely professional). 

The story about the RAF getting the probe end off the Vulcan for the Falkland war is true...Read Vulcan 607...a great book about the Vulcan in it's final years with the RAF. Air Museums....Been to several listed here. Really like the PIMA Air Museum...not a far drive from where I am. Nice airplanes and the boneyard across the street...unfortunately all my C-5's and MC-130P's and a few C-130E's and now the MC-130H are all sitting over there. Have to go to In-n-Out Burger to feel better after that....

Cheers...Ron

The Air Force Museum on Dayton is great and  I'd love to see the Navy Museum......maybe one of these days.  A local museum that is good is the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  It has the only SR-71B and lots of other great planes and displays.  If you're ever in the area, it's worth the visit...

https://www.airzoo.org/#dismiss

I've been to quite a few, but there are a couple that I really need to get to yet (Pima and National Naval Aviation Museum).

Here's the ones I've visited:

SAC Museum: love the Snark and Atlas missiles out front, the B-52B, and all of the stuff stored out back (including a British Vulcan bomber).

Pacific Aviation Museum (at Pearl Harbor): love the B-17E they have.  Would be nice to see it restored.

National Museum of the USAF: without question, the most complete museum for the USAF.  Truly amazing and am looking forward to a return visit now that the 4th building is open

USS Midway (San Diego): Since I've yet to get to the National Naval Aviation Museum, seeing some 1950s/60s naval aircraft was pretty cool.  Things like a Photo Cougar, Skywarrior, Tracker, Vigilante

USS Intrepid (New York City): Seeing an F3H Demon, FJ Fury, and E3 Tracer was neat and there's the Space Shuttle Enterprise (which I had seen at Udvar Hazy before they moved it)

Smithsonian Air & Space (on the Mall): I go to DC a lot for work, and I always carve out time to drop by.  I basically know this place like the back of my hand and I love every moment I'm there

Smithsonian Udvar Hazy: What a great museum: tons of rare or one-of-a-kind items.  Only been there twice so I need to get back...I just wish it was easier to get to (I'm never in DC with a car).

Minnesota Air National Guard Museum: I like 1950s jets, so any opportunity to see a Starfire or Scorpion is fun!

Cheers!
Mike

Edited by mlicari

Some others I like other than the ones listed so far

National Museum of World War II Aviation in Colorado Springs, nice aircraft and you can tour their restoration facilities. 

Also, the museum we have here at Pax River is pretty neat too, small, but some nice aircraft.  

Twice I drove around the country and both times made it a point to stop at any air museum within ~75 miles of my route, been to a bunch in the US.

My favorites would be: (in rough order)

National Museum of the USAF in Dayton/WrightPat Ohio

Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins Georgia

Pima in Tucson Arizona (and the boneyard tour)

Hill Aerospace Museum in Utah

SAC Museum in Ashland Nebraska

AMC Museum in Dover Delaware

Castle AFB Museum in California

March Field Museum in California

Peterson Museum in Colorado Springs Colorado

Evergreen Museum in McMinnville Oregon

Udvar Hazy/Smithsonian Museum in Chantilly VA

Patuxent River Museum in Lexington Park Maryland

I missed (timing was wrong/etc) but want to go to next time:  (Any comments on these?)

Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB Florida

Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida

Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker Alabama

Travis AFB Airpark/Museum in California

Not sure if there is any interest, but I have a few thousand pics from the ones I have been to, if theres any requests I can look through them for specific planes from specific museums.

My favorite is definitely Duxford and the IWM...Dayton and NASM have all the greats, but there is something special about walking around Duxford and all the surrounding history. The whole area around Duxford is rich with RAF and USAAF airfields, many of which have small museums as well. The Technique museum in Berlin, as well as the Air Museum in Krakow have an amazing array of historic airframes. I think Paul Allen wins the top honor for flying Museums...although Jerry Yagen and Planes of Fame are right up there. 

Jim

30478363717_ec6237e421_n.jpgDSC_5033 by jim harley, on Flickr

30478344907_36a2ac29c2_n.jpgDSC_5076 by jim harley, on Flickr

hidden treasures in Berlin

30478573227_af0678d759_n.jpgBerlinGatowAFM (184) by jim harley, on Flickr

30478352037_574240143a_n.jpgDSC_5061 by jim harley, on Flickr

Edited by jimharley

The Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins AFB is a really nice medium sized place. There are some real unique displays there, like the RB-69. If you are ever in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area, check out the Tennessee Museum of Aviation. Not a large facility, but worth a walk through. A good number of the display aircraft air maintained as flying examples. It is the home of P-47D Hun Hunter XVI, P-47D Wicked Wabbit, and A-1H Skyraider Lieutenant America to name a few.

I offer up the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, Mi.  A nice, medium sized museum.  They have, among other things, a dauntless that was recovered from Lake Michigan and restored, a twin stick SR-71, B-25 and a nice collection of Grumman cats.

14 hours ago, USAFAmmovet91 said:

The Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins AFB is a really nice medium sized place. There are some real unique displays there, like the RB-69. If you are ever in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area, check out the Tennessee Museum of Aviation. Not a large facility, but worth a walk through. A good number of the display aircraft air maintained as flying examples. It is the home of P-47D Hun Hunter XVI, P-47D Wicked Wabbit, and A-1H Skyraider Lieutenant America to name a few.

Those are two I really need to visit. I'm located right between them.

As far as the aviation museums I've visited, by far the USAF Museum in Dayton OH was the most impressive. Walking around and under the B-36 is an experience you will never forget. Udvar Hazy was my next favorite I spend two days exploring that place. The USS Intrepid in NYC was also very enjoyable and I also went there twice (The Cradle of Aviation museum nearby on Long Island is also worth a visit if you have the time).

I was disappointed at the Smithsonian at the DC Mall. There are some historically important and unique aircraft and spacecraft there, and that's worth the trip alone (plus you can visit Udvar Hazy at the same time if you have a couple days), but you aren't able to walk around and get a close look at many of the vehicles. I'm really glad that they built Udvar Hazy to make up for that.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, dmk0210 said:

Those are two I really need to visit. I'm located right between them.

As far as the aviation museums I've visited, by far the USAF Museum in Dayton OH was the most impressive. Walking around and under the B-36 is an experience you will never forget. Udvar Hazy was my next favorite I spend two days exploring that place. The USS Intrepid in NYC was also very enjoyable and I also went there twice (The Cradle of Aviation museum nearby on Long Island is also worth a visit if you have the time).

I was disappointed at the Smithsonian at the DC Mall. There are some historically important and unique aircraft and spacecraft there, and that's worth the trip alone (plus you can visit Udvar Hazy at the same time if you have a couple days), but you aren't able to walk around and get a close look at many of the vehicles. I'm really glad that they built Udvar Hazy to make up for that.

Either are a great visit. I love the Tennessee Museum of Aviation for a couple reasons. Cal ahead of your visit because they have lots of special group gatherings of aircraft pilot veterans, flight testing of the flight worthy aircraft (they are located on the flightline of the local airport), and also have fly-ins of other privately owned military aircraft.