Typhoons patroling over the Falklands...

Does anybody know  what the standard load-out of the Typhoon GR4s that patrol the Falkland Islands is? Is it AIM-9's and AMRAAMs? Or is it AIM-132 ASRAAMs and Meteors" Amy help is greatly appreciated!!!

MattP

AIM-120/AIM-132. The Meteor has just started entering service on Typhoon, so I suspect it will filter through in due course, but given the nature of the threat down there, I would be surprised if there's any great rush, especially as the RAF is still taking delivery of AIM-120 (D model most recently was ordered) as well. Don't think I've seen an AIM-9 on an RAF subject for quite some years now, the AIM-132 is ubiquitous on Tornado and Typhoon fleets as far as I can see.

Thanks Dmanton300! I'm going to go with AIM-132s on the out most pylons 2 drop tanks, and AIM-120s for the rest.  I seem to have seen a pic somewhere with that type of load-out.

MattP

Edited by MattP

I have decals from a failed Tornado F.3 project. I'm going to cobble a 'set' together. The pix of the Falklands 1435 Flight seem to be the same red Maltese cross on a white shield background.  I want to do H (As in Hope). I'm now thinking of a doing "war-load" of the outer pylons with AIM132s and the conformal sets with AIM-120's along with a set of 'drop-tanks'...

Opinions??? TIA

MattP

Edited by MattP

Awe CRAP!!! I found a large pic of Typhoon 'F=Faith' making a turn to port and I see a red Maltese cross with some type of insignia in the middle. I'll have to look for one of those. I'm sure when find the rest of the F.3 decals... Found them! Not sure which kit they came from (they're a bit chopped up), but they're of F.3 ZE736... WITH the Maltese cross with the insignia... Will see what else I'm going to need. I'm still searching, but does anybody have a decent 'side-view' of one of the 4 air frames?

Edited by MattP

You'll need to find the Falkland Island coat of arms as well, which I don't think has ever been done in decal form.

220px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Falkland_Islan

Plenty of shots here https://www.google.com/search?q=1435flt+typhoon&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh0YDJ1JrgAhUZRxUIHa2NAgMQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1366&bih=634

Edited by scotthldr
9 hours ago, scotthldr said:

You'll need to find the Falkland Island coat of arms as well, which I don't think has ever been done in decal form.

That's if you want to mark the aircraft as (I think) they are marked now. In the past they had either no squadron markings at all, or just the Maltese cross and falcon on the tail and the letter code above it (no bars on the roundel, no coat of arms).

I think the Tronado F.3 Maltese cross was a tiny bit bigger than the ones on the Eurofighter, but it should be close enough. I also believe the Tornados were always marked with the falcon pointing to its left, which is how it is on the Eurofighters most of the time - it looks like F (ZJ944) had its pointing to the right for a time.