Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and not that experienced a modeler.  I do a lot of research though.  I'm building a carrier, the Ark Royal, and decided to pick up some White Ensign PE detail sets.  My fist part is 8 bbl. 2 pdr. mounts.  I thought there would be painting instructions with the set, but didn't see any.

How do you paint these tiny parts? I don't have an airbrush and don't think that I will get one since I don't think that it would be cost efficient.  This ship will take me a long time, especially since I bought an assembled (poorly) one first to practice on.  Hope I don't burn out.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. You posted this query in the archive section of the Tools 'n' Tips forum, where old posts go to retire and live a life of tranquility and ease. You will get more mileage posting in the regular Tools 'n' Tips forum one level up, or posting in the Ship Modeling section under the Ships General Discussion forum.

Have fun!

Mark (one of many)

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Google tells me ARK ROYAL kits are available in 1/350, 1/700, and 1/720. That means some very fine detail parts. Not sure how you're going to to that without an airbrush. A rattle can will tend to put out a huge amount of paint that could well obscure detail. Try it, though, as the worst that will happen is you need to clean the paint of the PE and try something else, like an airbrush. You might have luck with a brush, but again, you need to be careful about the paint clogging fine detail.

For that kit, you may also want rattle cans for the hull and large parts.

Thanks for the info.  I'm remembering that years ago I threw out a compressor that was suitable for an airbrush - I needed a bigger one for work on cars.  I may be stuck here - having to get an airbrush set up and learning to use it - another set back.

In the meantime, I found turrets for 4.7inch guns at White Ensign (resin). But they don't have a picture.  Foolishly, I bought the bbls. which were relatively cheap, only to find out that the turrets are the expensive part.  Not sure I'll go that way since I'm still in the learning process with a relatively inexpensive model.

Dave

I do strongly recommend the airbrush. An airbrush with a 0.3mm nozzle would be good for detail painting, including priming of all the PE. I also have an airbrush with a 0.5mm nozzle I use for large-scale priming, base coats, and clear coats. For larger ship models though, even the 0.5mm nozzle will may be too small for the hull. You may want to use rattle cans for that.

You haven't said what paints you're going to use. Colourcoat are an excellent enamel with a line targeting Naval use. I have some of their paint for specific colors, but I generally use Mr Color, which is a lacquer-based paint. Lacquers will be the thinnest paints, enamels are thicker, and acrylics are thickest. I find acrylics too thick to airbrush, but many like them for the reduced solvent toxicity, which include alcohol (Tamiya) or often water depending on the brand. Mr Paint is another lacquer, and it's supposed to be quite good, too.

If you do decide on Mr Color or Colourcoat, Mr Leveling Thinner is a great thinner to use. In general though, use the paint brand's thinner for airbrush applications. I use regular HW store lacquer thinner in the gallon can, for cleaning. Be aware, though, that some acrylics curdle with lacquer thinners. 

Here's a 1/350 YMS that I built a couple of years ago as USS FULMAR, MSC(O)-47.  My father commanded her the the USNR during the '60s. I painted it with Mr Color.

I was - until a serious illness took me to death's door.  I took a lot of meds - then got cancer.  Past that for 3 years now, but no longer in the muscle car business.  Jim Taylor (Jim taylor Engine Service) / Mark Earny built the engine for my '79 T/A.  Steel, rods, forged pistons, zero decked and lots more.  Built as a street machine so she ran from low rpm when I hit it to 6200 on the limiter. Not a real screamer, but good for a street Pontiac.  Used a built TH350 and Richmond 3.42's /Auburn posi in the back.  I miss the sound, torque, but you can't go home again so I've added this to my interests.

Well then we have that in common. I bought a ‘79 TA, WS6 W72, new 40 years ago. I still have it. Also a ‘71 TA and a ‘67 LeMans convertible. 

More on topic, my Hold & Fold PE tool arrived yesterday, tried it out on a simple Metal Earth kit. The H&F was $$$ but it looks like it will be worth it.