Italian Forestale Firefighter, Skycrane.

Well the time has come to share what has taken over my work bench for the past year or so, amongst other things.

I love modelling, especially when its a subject I can really relate to. As part of my past I worked in Italy for AgustaWestand, part of this time I was lucky enough to share hangars with great people and great helicopters, some of these were the civil arms of the Italian Government, Police, Fire and Forestry. The Forestry helicopters really took a hold of me, the AB412's, MD500's and the venerable Skycrane. This beast is an impressive workhorse even from afar, get close and it really got under my skin, one day ill make a model of that I said to myself.

Years later and a job change that means I spend more time at home and so in my model shed, I started to model the helicopters I'd seen up close and personnel. Sometime later having made the 412, the 500 and even the 369 in the Forestale colours, with the assistance of Bernd of Quality Scale Modelling in Germany for some 3d printed parts and the decals, my attention turns to the Skycrane. With only the old 1970's Revell kit of the venerable Skycrane available (after great amount of eBay searching) I start to think about my very first scratch build. 

So after talking to a very good modelling friend of mine I decided to setoff down this path to see if I can do this and add an S-64F Skycrane to my collection of 1/35th Forestale helicopters.

The main airframe came first, I used the Revell kit as a template and after buying the original aircraft maintenance manual on line, I started with the box sections of the rear fuselage.

IMG_1836

With the parts cut from 0.025 plasticard I brought them together and strengthened with plastic box and rod. This went together easier than I thought, how hard is this scratch building anyway??

After discussions with a local guy who 3D scan's and prints, a cockpit forward section was thrust into my hands, the template for this was the reveal kit re-scaled, scanned and printed.

IMG_3251

Bringing these two first parts together made me thing I may need to reappraise this scrachbuilding thing. I started to take this a bit more seriously now, after 'shaping' the airframe and making guidelines on the upper deck I started to market the firewalls, transmission and driveshaft locations. I also thought about the major lumps on show. Unlike most aircraft the sky crane wears all its finery on the outside of its skin. The main transmission was the first on the hit list, the maintenance manual paid for itself straightaway.  

IMG_6358

At this point I got back in contact with Bernd to see if he could supply me with decals and any other assistance. After a few emails to and fro he said he'd help as he had wanted to make a RC Skycrane, from that point on we pooled ideas and technical information.

Whilst Bernd was busy designing the 3d parts we discussed I set about the first set of detailing, rivets, lots of rivets. Unlike most modern aircraft, helicopters have pronounced rivets, especially if they were originally manufactured in the 1960's, and so.....

IMG_1770

Now I could have used Rosie the Riveter but I want my rivets to be just like all those 1/8th and 3/32nd rivets I've put into countless helicopters, so two sets of micro mark rivet sets were ordered from the other side of the pond and in a flash they arrived. As it happened they came at just the right time and a full day of cutting, trimming and decal application ensued. My scrap etch was broken out and a few stiffening plated added. A few of Bernd's parts started to arrive and so were applied, the first of many as it would turn out.

Well I think I've bored you all enough for one session, see you soon'ish.

Edited by Wafu

A few more pictures to bring you today.

With the cockpit causing pain I moved on to the sub-assemblies. 

Due to the perceived weight of the rotors I decided to make the Rotorhead capable of holding those six massive paddles. The Rotorhead was made from aluminium alloy upper and lower connected with I beam and a 5mm rod through the middle. The ends are then filled with square section and filed to the upper and lower parts.

IMG_0250

Next the Main Rotor dampers, Flap and drag hinges are added. Bernd had made for me the Blades and Blade cuffs with sleeve and spindles. These now needed to be drilled to accept the blades and drilled to go onto the head. Artistic license was now applied as I couldn't get the Pitch Control Rods and arms to match up. The head was dressed with various bolt and nut heads from the Meng sheets I had.

IMG_0269

As you can see, the Main Gearbox was dressed with Servos and the fixed scissors. Pipe work was added to replicate the pressure and return lines to the servos. I was starting to feel good about the overall effect and so moved to the blades.

With the Beanie painted and detailed, I filled and sanded the blades, finally applying Alclad micro filler primer. The S64 has distinctive black and white upper surfaces. All thats now needed is to add the BIM's and try to find decals for the blades data markings. Oh and I added bolt heads for the cuff attachments and the blade to head attachments, I even added the lock wire for these bolts (not shown in the photo)

IMG_0267

IMG_0267

The blades were bent and the fear of them not returning to the flat state, so I set about making new blades whilst using the hub.

IMG_0117

Well thats all for now. More to follow soon.

Cheers and gone.

Back again with a small update, first though thanks for the kind words from you all.

Back at the bench after a time away and its full steam ahead with the build, well collecting things for the build.

It's been a series of sub assemblies really, the APU from scratch, the main hydraulic frame, the tail and inter gearboxes etc. I've also looked at building the main feature of the FireFighting element, the water tank with snorkel and flexible hose for stationary filling. Bernd provided these in 3d but the tank was built with plasticard, strut and strip. Once the basic shape was made the pipework and detailing began. having the main fuselage helped for reference sizing. 

IMG_3457

IMG_0134

Above shows the chaos of my mind when I'm putting things together, I wish I was as organised as Rotorman and his build. However by placing things near or in there place I can build a mental picture to the overall build.

A final photo of my water tank.

IMG_2100

That's all for now.

Hi all. My apologies for a short absence, life and stuff gets in the way of modelling.

The last few days of the week have brought about a massive step forward for my build.

When embarking on this 'fun ride' I always knew that the biggest hurdle would be the cockpit section, get this right and the build can and will come together, this is after all the first post of call for everyone, getting the cockpit and airframe in the right proportion would make or break the whole scratch build, no pressure then.

Firstly I used the Revell kit to get the look, secondly using the drawings from the maintenance manual and finally using the myriad of images of Skycranes on good old Google, care had to be taken here as the Italian machines have the whole rear section with a side door and not the rear door access. A good friend of a friend said he'd help me over a coffee at a local model show. I showed him what I had in the way of the basic airframe, pictures and diagrams, from this he said he could give me a 3D printed frontend. So, after a lot of referring and conferring he has produced this....

IMG_2790 2

This being the front section with vac form glazing, bubble windows and rear section. To be truthful he's given me a few extra's to use as test parts.

On with the build.

wanting to get the cockpit on to the airframe, I needed to build up the basics within the cockpit before marrying the front and rear sections. I must admit here that raid after raid has been made on my spares box, fortunately I'd made one of Floyd's excellent MH-47 kits and so had key parts leftover, the build of the seats, consoles, Cyclic's, Collectives, Yaw pedals and such would be made easier.

The S64F has a full MFD glass cockpit so the spare console was pressed into service.

IMG_1101 2

IMG_3701 2

IMG_4923 2

IMG_1293 2

Finally the upper and forward consoles are at a point to leave, for the moment. I did use the great set from Airscale to give me the mandatory analog flight instruments required.  

IMG_5252 2

IMG_8873 2

The upper overhead console has two wander lights added. 

In addition to all this front end action, I did mess about with the two power plants, pipework etc.

IMG_0387 2

Thats all for now folks.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like an age since I posted something but I have spent a long time cutting, trimming and fitting the glazing to the cockpit areas. I'll let the pictures show you my progress.

IMG_5844

And the important masking that followed.

IMG_1272

IMG_2715

With the side bubble windows now on she's been put to one side to dry. Tomorrow, if all is well, I plan to start blending the edges and may be a fine coat of primer?

Ian, the shapes aren't good enough on the surface. Much too much streaks on it.
And the proportions of your 3 windows on top of each other at the back are not right. The corners are round everywhere.

s64f381.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the absence from the forum, well contributing anyway. I've watched Lupusprimus build, finish and display his S-64F and have been inspired to get on with mine.

So here are a few more photos of how its all being progressed in a little shed in the far west of England.

After the final mask had been completed I set about making all the airframe strengthening plates, lumps and bumps on the forward cockpit area.

IMG_0545

Once this process was complete to my satisfaction I moved onto recalling the rivets, as done on the aft fuselage.

IMG_0195

This was done using the MicroMark decal sheets, Micro Set and Sol. It was a very long process but I am more than happy with the effect. Unlike fixed winged aircraft most helicopters are riveted together using 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32" mushroom headed rivets, the odd JoBolt or HyLok its thrown in for good measure.

IMG_7053 2

Whilst all this good stuff was drying I started to look at the top deck parts, especially around the gearbox, so the flying control bellcranks had to be made.

IMG_3835

Final picture shows a colour swatch I've been playing with to see how the white shows through the green IF I decide to finish the primed model in overall green first.

IMG_1494

Thanks for looking.

This is one of the few models I know of. Admirable what he built there, at least smaller in 1:48. It's a pity that such experts don't mould their models to make it easier for others.
My parts are all reproducible. The 3D print unfortunately costs relatively much with a high surface quality.