Vietnam Helicopter Pilot Memories. Mark Garrison

Hello all,

I came across a series of YouTube interviews Mark Garrison did of himself reminiscing of his experiences as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. I have found them fascinating to listen to while at the bench and figured I'd share a couple here. Just click on his YouTube username above the red "Subscribe" box for a full list of videos he's done (there are a number of them). Here are just a few:

Enjoy and happy modeling all!

Don

I had similar encounter on my 2nd RVN in Country flight!!  What I FIRST thought was Charlie's Mortar

rounds impacting the LZ was in fact a Cobra light fire team's 2.75 FFAR with HE Warheads!!  

My AC/IP that day, was making home movies for his little brother while I was flying into a hot LZ for the very first time, EVER!!!  And when our CC and DG went Hot with their M-60s, I nearly had to clean my pants!!  

My first day was somewhat less eventful until one of our UH-1Cs had an engine failure on our flight back to Phu Heip AAF!!  Called Mayday!! Mayday!! Mayday!! This is Devil 5??? engine failure at ......  I had no clue WHO was Devil 5??, nor WHERE he was!!  The AC took control of our Huey and did a 180!!  Turns out, he was about 5 mile behind us!!  We were the first to arrive on the scene.

Like this guy, I said, "And I'm to live through a year of this??"

(That said, I NEVER saw 140 KIAS on my Hueys!!)

Bo

Demon 68

Thanks for commenting "Jabow". Stories like yours, Garrison's and others are important to document for future generations to reference. That and I personally find them very interesting. I have sat for hours at the local Legion enthralled listening to stories from combat vets from WWII to the current war on terror over a few beers.

Thank you for your service!

Regards,

Don

Edited by Don
2 hours ago, Don said:

Thanks for commenting "Jabow". Stories like yours, Garrison's and others are important to document for future generations to reference. That and I personally find them very interesting. I have sat for hours at the local Legion enthralled listening to stories from combat vets from WWII to the current war on terror over a few beers.

Thank you for your service!

Regards,

Don

The number of Beers consumed is directly proportional to one's Flying Skills!!  LOL!!