Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

my favs are F`s

F-117 • 1:32 Nighthawk by Trumpeter

Recommended Posts

Superb work so far!  I love the approach to replicating the various knobs and switches  in the cockpit - it looks great!

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Steve!

 

@Slartibartfast, yeah I know that :thumbsup: - I used to do it as a waterproof insulation of the shaft of an old rc boat... ages ago... but it could indeed work just nicely for this purpose as well. I should try it of course. Tu! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rear bulkhead of the cockpit is done too. The two hydraulics moving the canopy are in their imaginary position. I decided to go the easy way - with holes in the bulkhead where the hydraulics will slide in when the canopy is closed. I tried but I can't make them retractable realistically. At least it's a solution this way too. This is (almost) the kit part:

 

IMG-20191018-135647.jpg

 

IMG-20191018-135734.jpg

 

And the ready bulkhead:

 

IMG-20191019-120334.jpg

 

IMG-20191019-120429-002.jpg

 

IMG-20191019-120357.jpg

 

Now I'm making thorough modifications of the side frames of the cockpit and more on that soon. 🙂 cheers!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up - the cockpit side frames. This is how thin they were oob - the first pic is zoomed to see what exact part of the side frame I mean:

 

IMG-20191018-135513.jpg

 

IMG-20191018-135534.jpg

 

And these is how thick they are indeed - a couple of pics of the real thing:

 

Untitled.jpg

 

Untitled11.jpg

 

So, I glued a stripe of plastic underneath the frames, then sanded them smooth on the sides toward the pilot, then shaped them as in the pic or at least I tried to be as close as possible. Then I added the tubes for the cooling air that come out of the rear bulkhead. They should have red stripes insulation but I'll add them easly after the painting. The canopy handle is also not added... well the frames are done and ready for painting. 🙂 Way better than before.

 

IMG-20191026-105004.jpg

 

IMG-20191026-105046.jpg

 

IMG-20191026-105103.jpg

 

IMG-20191026-104931.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original canopy frame was quite thin... so I added 1mm plastic sheet under the front edge and the angular frames + detailing and the hidraulics for the movement. The first pic is the original frame, and then - after the thickening:

 

IMG-20191019-120632.jpg

 

IMG-20200119-143109.jpg

 

IMG-20200119-143057.jpg

 

IMG-20200119-143213.jpg

 

IMG-20200119-143140.jpg

 

 

Edited by my favs are F`s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Secondly, the zig-zag pattern along the front edge is... 🙂 out of scale... quite thick! And they had some random indentations from the cutting of the sprue I guess. So the best way was to replace the zig-zag pattern with PE pieces. I had enough leftover PE to cut the required pieces and I tried to sand and make em as close as possible to the original pattern, in three pieces. See how thick was the original zig-zag RAM:

 

IMG-20200104-130832.jpg

 

IMG-20200104-130942.jpg

 

IMG-20200104-130926.jpg

 

and those are the three PE pieces still not installed:

 

IMG-20200104-131120.jpg

 

But first - I have to glue the caopy to the frame and then to "change" the zig zag pattern. Up: shortly. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The modifications of the canopy side frames: I had to put the canoppy up a little bit, in order to "align the facets". So the tiny gaps along the sides had to be filled. The first two pics show the gaps, and the next two - the tiny plastic edges that were added:

 

IMG-20200201-132849.jpg

 

IMG-20200201-132816.jpg

 

IMG-20200202-121441.jpg

 

IMG-20200202-121455.jpg

 

And that's the frame, painted, detailed, weathered... ready for gluing:

 

IMG-20200202-153758.jpg

 

IMG-20200202-153742.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canopy and frame - merged. 🙂 Finally. Those are a bit darker photos but the seamlines are important, except for the front edge (which will be covered by the zig-zag rams). The "soiled" spots along the edges are from the glue, which is visible through the canopy. It went just beautifully. Only 1 of the smallest magnets keep the entire canopy closed, which makes it quite easy and smooth for opening. Check it out....

 

IMG-20200204-203918.jpg

 

IMG-20200204-203612.jpg

 

IMG-20200204-204354.jpg

 

IMG-20200204-204609.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's something. Do You ever build them just out of the box? Come to think of that, I wouldn't with a skill like that. Amaizing work. It will be flying and dropping GBU's in no time. Just hope You are not making them explode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂 Thx buddy. Btw this is a rather recent style of mine - for about 4 now - my first "tramsformable" model was the F-35B in 1/48 ( this is a facebook album in  an "open" config: https://www.facebook.com/milan.mitev.7/media_set?set=a.1007288912640750&type=3) ... considering that I'm "in the hobby" from some 15-20 years perhaps. 🙂 

Whilst for the GBUs - oh yeah, the bigger ones 🙂

Edited by my favs are F`s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...