Jump to content

1/72 Saturn V - making the best of a “Dragon” situation

Recommended Posts

Not horrible at all. I think it looks great!


 In some ways it sucks that Dragon skipped out on a lot of the details. But in retrospect, it did make it an affordable LARGE scale kit that can be tinkered with to make a great replica. I guess that's what counts in the long run. A super accurate highly detailed kit at this scale would be outrageously priced.


Keep up the great work!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee whiz ... you're awfully hard on yourself.

The bulkhead, to my eye is either a dome or hemisphere ... is there a noticeable difference? Uh-h-h ... no.


And I agree whole-heartedly with Bill ... Dragon really cut too-o-o many corners ... I won't even look at one of their Apollo kits.


You're doing a terrific job on this ... don't get too caught up in the weeds.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I'm trying not to be too critical, especially with these, but ... you know. 😉


Didn't get to work very much this weekend, but I did start on the skirt interiors.  Had to remove some vertical "guide" plastic doodads and then lay in the structural rings and vertical "stiffeners".  Still need to add the little diagonal struts that attach to the interface ring and center ring.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last month was busy for me with birthday parties and work trivialities … but we’re back at it, nose to the ‘stone.


Been struggling with the laser-cut interface ring parts.  The first set had a little fitment issue so I had another set cut. This time I added a doubler to help stiffen them but unfortunately these too were slightly off and out-of-round.  I’m guessing the styrene does shrink a little more than I was expecting.


I went ahead and cut the parts with the Silhouette and they came out far more accurately.  


So yeah ... some progress.





Link to post
Share on other sites

John, the image from your March 4th posting isn't showing up ... just FYI.


And this is looking great! I will assume this'll be displayed horizontally with the stages separated ... and the details, these precise details, you're adding are gonna make this look spek-tak-yoo-lar!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the second skirt interior and cobbled together the ODOP antennas. I'll attach them after I complete adding the extra stringers to the interstage and the S-II aft skirt. (I'll want to sand them all so they're uniform.)



Now there are two.



ODOP, telemetry and range safety antennas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

S-IC forward skirt details - continued
Finished modeling the equipment boxes and LOX vent line parts. I was planning to print one set of these at Shapeways and then cast all the ones I would need in resin.  I was thinking that it might be more cost effective but it turns out it’s only going to be $17 bucks to print them all.  So yeah - I'm just going to print them all and be done with it.  Hope to see them in the next week or so.



S-II - Getting started and thrust structure ideas
As I've mentioned previously  the S-II will be a rather piecemeal affair. I will be using the kit's aft skirt and tank parts and will utilize a section of a donor skirt from a third kit for the forward skirts. T’ll be adding the extra stringers to the aft skirt and will also add the smaller “intercostal” stringers to the forward skirt.  The forward skirt stringer count will be off, but it should look reasonable, and will mate up with the S-II/S-IVB interstage which also has the wrong amount. I'm hoping these will go together quickly and 



So for the last few weeks I've been pondering how to tackle the S-II thrust structure.  I think that I've come up with a solution that will be relatively easy, though somewhat tedious, and should not cost a fortune to execute ... twice over. Still working out some details, but I'm getting close to finalizing the design.  (Ponoko will certainly be getting more business ... I am NOT cutting these things out by hand.)



Here a start of some of the patterns that will be used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

A bit of a bear, these things.  It's taken a little while to get to this point but I'm pretty close to finalizing and sending the parts off to Ponoko for cutting.  It won't be an exact representation, but it should be robust and will hopefully look the part. Still need to sort the equipment boxes and other trust structure details ... but hey, it IS progress.




Also the S-IC forward skirt details arrived this weekend from Shapeways.  I think they turned out pretty well.  I have a few little details to work through, then I will start the final assembly of the S-ICs.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...