Academy F-4J Main Gear Legs

Hey all!

I have a question regarding the placement of the main gear legs on the Academy F-4J. It's kinda vague on where one side goes. I can tell one side goes into the notch but the other side I'm not sure of.

I have the Xacto knife pointing to the spot I'm not sure of.

33089553938_1d46ebfdef_z.jpgUntitled by wolfgun33, on Flickr

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

This is an F-4N build with the thin wing, but the wheel well housing is built up in a very similar way to the thick wing.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/05/bretts-build-of-eduard-bicentennial.html

J

Thats a great build J. I’ve got the kit in my stash and it really shows what can be done and needs to be done.

About locating the MLG-------- I built a Academy F-4C/D in a group build here on ARC last year and I had a problem positioning them also. In the long run it didn't mater because I broke both of them off at least twice handling the plane. Murad made this statement about the problem and I'm sure it should be done his way........"i did build 3 of these beasts, only possible way to put the mlg last is to cut some part from the gear struts prior to fixing, which is usually the scissors at the back which have a vertical tab, removing that usually make it a tight enough fit."

But where they fit exactly is beyond Me. :bandhead2:   This isn't the only problem with the Academy Phantoms. Long live Hasegawa and ZM. :clap2:

The Academy Phantoms are weird...so much potential and a bunch of great design ideas like the fuselage coupled with some boneheaded ones like the main landing gear and the intakes. Add in a mediocre, at best, cockpit and I'll be looking elsewhere for my next 1/48 Phantom. 

I have a -B almost ready for paint. I left the landing gear off because it seemed like I could wrestle the legs in later. I either posted the question, or found a thread where some pointed out you can remove one of the pegs on the landing gear leg and put it in after the wing is assembled.

Picknpluck summed up the Academy Phantom series well. 

I went nuts buying academy phantoms when they came out, I was excited to finally have a modern C/D with engraved panel lines.  However, when I finally got around to building one, I kept thinking  I should have built one before I bought more of them.   They are not bad, but they just made some weird design choices.  The next one I build, I think I will pin the gear legs like I have done with my current hasegawa phantom project.  

50 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

I have a -B almost ready for paint. I left the landing gear off because it seemed like I could wrestle the legs in later. I either posted the question, or found a thread where some pointed out you can remove one of the pegs on the landing gear leg and put it in after the wing is assembled.

Picknpluck summed up the Academy Phantom series well. 

I went nuts buying academy phantoms when they came out, I was excited to finally have a modern C/D with engraved panel lines.  However, when I finally got around to building one, I kept thinking  I should have built one before I bought more of them.   They are not bad, but they just made some weird design choices.  The next one I build, I think I will pin the gear legs like I have done with my current hasegawa phantom project.  

Hey Kurt, do you have a build log of your Phantom? I know it's not the same kit but I'd like to see how you pinned the gear legs.

6 minutes ago, Wolfgun33 said:

Hey Kurt, do you have a build log of your Phantom? I know it's not the same kit but I'd like to see how you pinned the gear legs.

I do! Hasegawa f-4s build look at the post where I put the aluminum tubing in the wing.  The next step is to drill a hole in the gear leg and install the pin. I did it with a spare kit but I do not have a picture handy.

27 minutes ago, airmechaja said:

Yeah Kurt. That's why I bought one only because I've never been thrilled with Academy engineering. ZM seems to have things going their way.

Who would have guessed ZM would jump in with a Phantom family?  I am glad they did.