So, here is my first build in honor of mankind's greatest achievement!

46929030422_1c22f256a6_b.jpg

I am really happy that Photobucket relented a little bit, because I am drawing on Mike Idacavage's legendary build. I have the Tango Papa decals and I will be doing a little shopping at Shapeways before I am done.

I started by trimming the tabs at the bottom.

46067310385_c376b657df_b.jpg

32039927507_8e1fe8ff8d_b.jpg

I removed part of the fuel line. Looking at photos, I figured if should go to about the top of the fins. You can see my calculations.

46981235141_bbf908ff11_b.jpg

46929032412_67b00fb187_b.jpg

Marking where the aluminum tubes will go. I need to decide if I want them to go all the way to the second stage.

46981236701_cf4ab4150e_b.jpg

Next, time to remove the ullage motors from the interstage. There are 8. Apollo 11 only had 4.

46256699814_6cb92e07ea_b.jpg

Stringers (kinda) repaired.

46929035452_74d935cdc1_b.jpg

Nice.  I've got a few of those in my stash.  One day I hope to do a 1/200 scale set from Redstone to Shuttle.  Your rescribed ribs on the interstage look pretty good to me.

Randy

Edited by as205

Like Pete said, apollosaturn.com is a good resource.  I've been using the David Weeks 1/48 scale drawings from RealSpace Models, but they will set you back $60 bucks.  However, I have found that they are worth every penny!

Also, the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) has a smaller set of Saturn V drawings on a flash drive for $20.  It isn't as detailed as the David Weeks drawings, but most of the location/orientation things you need should be there, especially at 1/200 scale.  You can find them on NAR.org by clicking on NAR Products and then on "secure online store", then on "Scale Data".  The Saturn V drawings are near the bottom of the Scale Data page.

Randy

I was trying to find where I read about the ullage rocket configuration. I searched and searched. When I pulled up Mike Idacavage's build to reference where I was on this one, he had done the research. 

I was working on the aluminum tube yesterday. I started with pilot holes.

46221457155_a3bb83cf9c_b.jpg

I probably should have gone straight to the skirt part, but I opened these up to 1/8".

46221457045_db6538ed1e_b.jpg

I used my reamer to open them up the rest of the way, testing the tube as I went. I then taped the thrust bulkhead to the skirt and marked the locations. Repeated the process.

46221457595_57bef55dc7_b.jpg

33260149058_5003a4c4e3_b.jpg

32193603807_d1eced2a91_b.jpg

I assembled one of the F-1 engines to get an idea of how it will look. 

46221460135_9573c09f03_b.jpg

I think this will work okay...

Vern

On 2/8/2019 at 10:00 PM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

I knew I'd have to remove ullage rockets. How did you determine which ones?

SA-500F through SA-502 (integration, Apollo 4 & 6) had eight. 

SA-503 through SA-509 (Apollo 8 through 14) had four, (almost * ) aligned with the S-1C engine fairings. 

SA-510 (Apollo 15) and up had none. 

* almost is defined as centered on the third stringer to the right of the cardinal axes. That’s assuming you have the correct 216 stringers on the interstage area. The angular offset is 4.1667 degrees (4 deg 10 sec) from the axes. 

This is from the David Weeks drawings. 

Edited by habu2
* almost
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been slack in taking and posting pictures. I did this work two weeks ago at a CoMMiES Build & Bull.

My support rods are epoxied in.

33527231758_bc826e5593_b.jpg

46488088285_9f087a407f_b.jpg

First stage glued together.

47403203681_94bbbdff2a_b.jpg

The second stage.

40437621453_126ea10802_b.jpg

Does anyone know what this bump is supposed to be? It looks like it should match up to something, but it does not.

47350431202_9b7e088bf3_b.jpg

And the third stage. She is officially too big for my paint booth now.

47350431302_145d7d4e36_b.jpg

I have gotten replacement service modules from Shapeways that I need to photograph. Also, I have puttied the seams. I bought some Squadron White after seeing a Trekworks video where he talks about different putties. I was disappointed to find it was very liquidy and not at all like the Squadron Green I have used in years past.

More to come.

Vern

2 hours ago, admiralcag said:

Does anyone know what this bump is supposed to be? It looks like it should match up to something, but it does not.

I believe that is the 5th LH2 fairing for the center engine. AMT failed to add the upper part of the fairing on the tank skin. Just match/scratchbuild the upper detail as on the adjacent fairings. 

Edited by habu2
typo

Looking good so far, I remember these problems when I built this year's ago. Also, the two pipes running up the sides of the first stage. I hacksawed the tube above the engine faring tips and off set it. Then grinded off the pipes on the lower and remade them. Alott of work, but worth it. Good luck

18 hours ago, habu2 said:

I believe that is the 5th LH2 fairing for the center engine. AMT failed to add the upper part of the fairing on the tank skin. Just match/scratchbuild the upper detail as on the adjacent fairings. 

Danke!

Vern

This is looking good Vern!

Can I ask about your club ... is your build getting the others to ask any questions about the Apollo program or are they just ... " Oh geez, there's Vern with his Sci-Fi stuff" ...

And that 'bump' you were asking about doesn't look like it belongs there ... is it, the Interstage, upside down? ... it doesn't look right.

Pete

51 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

This is looking good Vern!

Can I ask about your club ... is your build getting the others to ask any questions about the Apollo program or are they just ... " Oh geez, there's Vern with his Sci-Fi stuff" ...

And that 'bump' you were asking about doesn't look like it belongs there ... is it, the Interstage, upside down? ... it doesn't look right.

Pete

Thanks, Pete!

The club's name is the Colorado Modeling Militia Enjoying Sci-Fi (CoMMiES). We have some incredibly talented builders as members and, thanks to the Internet, we are national and international. Vince Hoffman is a member. My work is pretty pedestrian when compared to theirs.

The interstage has the thrust structure molded on to it, so it is impossible to get upside down. I believe Habu2 when he says its an incomplete fairing. Remember, late '60s AMT non-car subject...

Vern

Your build is coming along nicely.  I will concur with Habu2.  It looks like the fifth LH2 line.  Back when I built that model the first time (back in high school), I was just glad to have a Saturn V model.  I didn't know about all the details that we have references for now.  I remember hanging it vertically from the ceiling in the corner of my bedroom with four threads attached to a thumbtack.  Thinking back, I'm surprised that it never fell down.

Looking forward to seeing more.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled out my Airfix kit, which I bought retail just to become a donor kit 🙄, and checked the molding. I'm not sure exactly what it is still, but it has the shape there of a ullage motor. I added a length of .080" half round, shaped it, and that's the story I'm sticking to.

32571791087_47c261b3e0_b.jpg

Sanded putty and filled seams on the LM garage.

47461294042_be28432d41_b.jpg

33637328048_b7b012a2f8_b.jpg

47514064291_88d83544ef_b.jpg

I would've worked the putty on the LM garage, but I found I need to restock my Qtips in my tool box.

Vern

The Interstage pipes still don't look right ... but ... for some reason I thought you were building the 1/96 kit. When I went to the top o' the page and saw it was the 1/200, well, at that scale, you're doing ...  just ... fine!!

What may-y-y look just a little bit better is a tapered fairing from the 2nd stage pipes ( feed lines to the engines ) onto the Interstage. The abrupt square end of the 2nd stage feed lines look off.

Here's a link to John Duncan's Saturn V site

https://www.apollosaturn.com/Website/The-Saturn-V-Launch-Vehicle

And an image of a model's interstage. This model was built in the 1960's in Huntsville, based on a prototype but can still give you some ideas.

https://www.apollosaturn.com/Website-III/Sub-scale-Saturn-V-at-USSRC-in-Huntsville-Al/i-k3vNXzJ/A

This is looking good! :thumbsup:   Keep up the good work ... and ask Mr Hoffman why he isn't in on this GB!  :whistle:

Pete

1 hour ago, K2Pete said:

And an image of a model's interstage. This model was built in the 1960's in Huntsville, based on a prototype but can still give you some ideas.

https://www.apollosaturn.com/Website-III/Sub-scale-Saturn-V-at-USSRC-in-Huntsville-Al/i-k3vNXzJ/A

This is looking good! :thumbsup:   Keep up the good work ... and ask Mr Hoffman why he isn't in on this GB!  :whistle:

Looking at the model, I see what AMT used for designing the kit. Not too late to get in there and shape them.

Every time I see Vince, I give him crap about abandoning his shuttle build. It's what we do as a club...

Vern

Working on the LES and the CSM yesterday.

47563245551_b76062cfa3_b.jpg

The tower glued together.

33686347258_ed7b3760e3_b.jpg

Puttied up.

32620663427_7a77079bbe_b.jpg

The kit CM glued on to the Indycals SM.

46839390754_c4acf37f50_b.jpg

Everything set together.

46839390724_4904e9a255_b.jpg

I need to step on the gas on this. I want to have it done for Starfest at the end of the month.

And, Vince has picked his shuttle build back up. Hope he shares his progress at ARC!

Vern