Hello everyone. I'm looking to build a F-16 ADF of the 119th FW to represent the North Dakota Air Guard around the late '90s - early 2000's time frame. I'm thinking of kitbashing some parts to The 1 48 Tamiya kit. I know little about F-16s so i'm looking for some insight to how it might be done, if at all?? Questions are:

- what Tamiya kit to start out with? Block 25?

- what size tail does the ADF variant have? same tail as the F-16A? 

-Pratt engine with small intake?

- Small landing gear?

- Beer can antennas on the leading edge of wings?

- Which cockpit and type of Hud?

- which wheels?

- small Stabs or regular size?

I know about the antennas in front of the cockpit and below the intake, as well as the longer bulges at the base of the tail. Also know about the special pylon for the Sparrow missile, but haven't decided how I'll arm the model. I do have the Revell kit, as well as the new Italeri boxing of the F-16A. 

Thanks for your help.

All ADF jets (but one) were Block 15 OCU F-16A/B, PW engines and NSI small mouth inlets. No beer cans, larger Block 15 stabs, std landing gear.

The easy way out is to get the Revell ADF kit but it is lacking the port spotlight.

There are panel line differences between the Tamiya C kits and Block 15 A/B models, you will need to rescribe panel lines for accuracy.

Note the ADF B models did not have the IFF antenna farms or the vertical tail base bulges.

33 minutes ago, Nathant said:

Thanks Habu, so the Block 25/32 Tamiya kit has the correct Stabs and landing gear? How about the vertical tail?

Stab’s and landing gear yes vertical tale no.  The F-16A ADF has the early tail with a buldge on each side.  It’s different than the standard F-16A tail. The F-16C block 25/32 kit has the standard F-16C/D tail that has a longer base. 

I believe the 501 pylons are only in the Revell kit.  I think the easiest way is to use a Hasegawa F-16A and add the Revell parts (that's how I went did it). I would save the Tamiya kit for a later airframe build.

Just to add an answer to your question: the accurate tail is definitely only in the Revell or Kinetic kits.

Edited by Camus272
20 hours ago, fintajoe said:

The Kinetic F/A-18C kit provides the special Sparrow pylons for F-16ADF, plus the missiles on FF sprue.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10379750/70/15

Interesting, it looks like they just took the sprue out of an F-16 kit - it seems that the 501 pylons are in the F-16 block 20 kit, so that may have all the parts.

8 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Interesting, it looks like they just took the sprue out of an F-16 kit - it seems that the 501 pylons are in the F-16 block 20 kit, so that may have all the parts.

Tree FF, and the ADF tail base, are included in the Kinetic Block 20 kits 46011 and 48055

I've built 2 ADF's, and used the Hasegawa kit and the Revell ones together. Was a really easy conversion, probably easier that converting the Tamiya kit. If I could get photo bucket up, I'd show you.

Jeff

All Hasegawa F-16A/B kits are Block 15 (larger h stabs) so any A/B kit would work for a base kit. 

Note the rear IP in the B kit is pre-Block 15 but if the canopy is closed it would be hard to tell the difference. 

I did what jefropas did. As he said, it's really easy. If I recall, the Revell wheels are actually really good. I didn't know that at the time of this build, otherwise I would have used them I have another Revell ADF kit waiting to do another one.

8792050_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts