https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/?ref=py_c

For those of us not on this spy page here is what they announced:

Our next releases in 1/72 scale shall be:

Su-17UM3

Su-22UM3K

MiG-21F13

M-55 Geophysica

Be-12P-200

So at last the MiG-21F-13 in 72nd scale with state of the art technology even if it will be a limited edition, it is a very welcome new kit!!!!!!!!!  :yahoo:  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: 

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

They have had pretty remarkable quality pretty much since the start but the most recent Su-17 family and T-10-10 (-11) have just been on another level. Probably going to pick up an F-13 too. Hopefully they include some Perkele edition decals in the boxing.

I don't do 1/72 scale, but I looked at the pics of their models on Facebook and was amazed at the level of detail they have achieved. Especially the Mirage III with full riveting for those doing NMF. Plus, very detailed cockpits and wheel wells. Very impressive. Its amazing what can be done in 1/72 scale these days.

• 1 month later...

The new 72nd scale Modelsvit MiG-21F-13 kit (No. 72 042) includes 5 decal options. Yes, they are all natural metal versions but there is a good selection with some interesting details on some of them.

Soviet VVS a/c number 57

Syrian AF example from the six day war

Vietnamese AF                4520

Finnish AF                         MG-92

Czechoslovak AF             0304 with shark mouth painting

I am not sure about the last one, if it is an original Russian airframe or one produced by Czechoslovakia in which case some minimal work is needed on it. But I am sure our Czech experts will clear if 0304 was home produced or not.  

You can bet that I will not be using any of these options but do one of our own paint schemes. It could be one of the aircraft with two red invasions stripes on it.

Oh yes, and from the line up of new releases given earlier this year by Modelsvit the two Su-17’s are also on the way! I am sure the images of them will be shown and shared.

Best regards

Gabor

6 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

What exactly is wrong with the Revell Germany 1/72 Mig-21F-13?  The one I've got looks like a cracker in the box.

Ages ago had it and got rid of it as soon as I could after doing a review for a publication.

I am sure there is somewhere a thread about that kit and the questions it has raised.

After the release, had the Modelsvit MiG-21F (No.72 021) as soon as I could and kept it after doing a short review of it. It is on the workbench under construction. A limited kit, but it is excellent!

Based on quality and level of detailing of Modelsvit’s recent releases I most certainly look forward to the brand new MiG-21F-13 kit! Will get one at the first opportunity.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

The kit should be out in late April as confirmed by Modelsvit and its official debut will be at the Moson Show 2019 on the last weekend of the month!

That’s the place to get it. I think will also have to buy the Mirage III kit too.

As far as I know Modelsvit will have its own stand at the show.

Best regards

Gabor

10 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Ages ago had it and got rid of it as soon as I could after doing a review for a publication.

I am sure there is somewhere a thread about that kit and the questions it has raised.

After the release, had the Modelsvit MiG-21F (No.72 021) as soon as I could and kept it after doing a short review of it. It is on the workbench under construction. A limited kit, but it is excellent!

Based on quality and level of detailing of Modelsvit’s recent releases I most certainly look forward to the brand new MiG-21F-13 kit! Will get one at the first opportunity.

Best regards

Gabor

The Modelsvit kit looks nice, but you didn't really answer the question.

Hi Cameron Lynch,

Concerning that other F-13 kit, sorry but I can only repeat what I said before:

One of the options in the new Modelsvit boxing is the Finnish version. For a change from the by now boring Lynx emblem of the Finnish examples (used by every kit and decal company who selects a Finn a/c) this MG-92 has the reconnaissance squadrons badge on the fin. Was it from the Luonetjarvi unit.

I am sure many will be tempted to do this F-13 with US markings of that defected Iraqi Fishbed or the ex-Indonesian examples used for extensive “testing” by 4477 Red Hats, flying combat training for US units to get familiar with a real MiG-21. Now, there is a wide range of paint schemes from beautifully clean (just clear varnish on all the different shade metal panels) to different camouflage versions. This should be fun!

Best regards

Gabor

20 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

What exactly is wrong with the Revell Germany 1/72 Mig-21F-13?  The one I've got looks like a cracker in the box.

At the very least get the Quickboost nose cone set. LINK! The cone in the Revell kit is fantastically bad. I don't know what exactly they were having at Revell headquarters when they designed this part, but it must have been strong stuff.

22 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Cameron Lynch,

Concerning that other F-13 kit, sorry but I can only repeat what I said before:

One of the options in the new Modelsvit boxing is the Finnish version. For a change from the by now boring Lynx emblem of the Finnish examples (used by every kit and decal company who selects a Finn a/c) this MG-92 has the reconnaissance squadrons badge on the fin. Was it from the Luonetjarvi unit.

I am sure many will be tempted to do this F-13 with US markings of that defected Iraqi Fishbed or the ex-Indonesian examples used for extensive “testing” by 4477 Red Hats, flying combat training for US units to get familiar with a real MiG-21. Now, there is a wide range of paint schemes from beautifully clean (just clear varnish on all the different shade metal panels) to different camouflage versions. This should be fun!

Best regards

Gabor

You mean like this.....

1979632_10202453176883522_1426112857_n.jpg

There is a MiG-21F-13 that is on display at the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Ashland, Nebraska that is a former "Constant Peg" aircraft. 

Edited by Johnopfor
13 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

You mean like this.....

I was thinking more about the one with US markings in early test.

And then there are the ex-Indonesian ones which also flew in all sorts of camo including that light grey / brown / almost black with red 84 code and the red star with yellow borders. They are something interesting for a change from the traditional all metal schemes.

13 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

There is a MiG-21F-13 that is on display at the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Ashland, Nebraska that is a former "Constant Peg" aircraft. 

Have to have a look, dont remember this one.

Best regards

Gabor

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I was thinking more about the one with US markings in early test.

And then there are the ex-Indonesian ones which also flew in all sorts of camo including that light grey / brown / almost black with red 84 code and the red star with yellow borders. They are something interesting for a change from the traditional all metal schemes.

Have to have a look, dont remember this one.

Best regards

Gabor

The model is based off of photographs from the book "Red Eagles" taken in 1979-1980 when the program had first started. There is also a MiG-17 in NMF an a couple of photos as well.

About the MiG-21 here in Nebraska, the story was confirmed by a former Museum Director that it was a former "Constant Peg" aircraft, however, this didn't become full knowledge until after the program became declassified. The MiG was delivered to the SAC Museum back in 1990, when the Museum was still located at Offutt Air Force Base. It was delivered under a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, but it was delivered in it's "Constant Peg" camouflage. It was later stripped and repainted in North Vietnamese markings, but a few years ago,  the markings were changed to Soviet Air Force.

16965553909_baab950f18_b.jpg

The MiG as delivered to the SAC Museum in Oct. 1994. 

Scan-170206-0002-800x.jpg

Scan-170206-0003-800x.jpg

A couple of more pictures, this link confirms that it is a former Indonesian Air Force aircraft...

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21/

The MiG as it appears today.....

https://sacmuseum.org/what-to-see/aircraft/mig-21f-fishbed-c/

….and a nice post on the SAC Museum from 2011.....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128437-strategic-air-and-space-museum/

Hi Johnopfor,

Thanks for the interesting photos. Pity that the “original” paint scheme was removed. The book on the project was saying that some of the MiG’s were buried in the desert, while only few found their way to museums. I would suspect that USAF did not want to leave too many trails of what they did, what they had, although the “other side” had full knowledge of it.

I suspect that even the “original” scheme with which the AF delivered the aircraft was an overpaint. They had yellow borders on stars and numbers. Looking at operational photos of the unit they had a small number on the front end of the nose gear door identifying the particular a/c which is not visible on those early museum pictures of No. 60.

Those US MiG-21F-13’s are certainly an interesting subject for this new Modelsvit kit!!!

Thanks for sharing the links and the images!

Best regards

Gabor  

1 hour ago, Alex Sidharta said:

Correct. This one is ex Indonesian AF F-2157

OK. It is an ex Indonesian airframe but did it get to Brussels direct from Indonesia or did it spend a "little" time on its way in the US?

Best regards

Gabor

On 3/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, Johnopfor said:

16965553909_baab950f18_b.jpg

The MiG as delivered to the SAC Museum in Oct. 1994. 

I have to correct myself. Had a closer look at that MiG-21F-13  Red 60 in the “dessert” camo. It has the small a/c number at the front of the nose gear door. It is not really legible. It should be a two digit number. It is only faintly visible there. I expect they only changed the yellow borders on Red 60 and the stars to make it “real” Russian looking before giving it to the museum.

Best regards

Gabor

On 3/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, HomeBe said:

This one at the Brussels Air Museum is also a ex-Indonesian Fishbed.

http://www.brusselsairmuseum.be/en/index.php

mig21.jpg

V.P.

Looking at records, yes this Brussels MiG-21F-13 coded 77 is also from the 4477th Red Eagles test squadron. Who knows where else did they turn up “accidentally”. There are at least 4-5 in museums now.

It is fascinating that one of the Red Eagles MiG-23MS was found in a range scrap yard. So you never know where they can turn up.

Are there any detailed walk arounds of the Brussels airframe?

Best regards

Gabor

John,

Great model and wonderful subject. Such a fascinating history of that unit. Red Eagles was such a great read. 

All,

Afew questions as I know nothing aboit Modelsvit. Are there any U.S. distributors of Modelvit products? I’m interested in getting a MiG-21F13 when released. Also, how ‘limited’ are these kits. Sure the details on their other kits I’ve seen built on the internet look great but limited and NMF/silver painted = no fun for me.  I build 1/72 for myself only (no contests) but still don’t want to apply NMF/silver to an ill-fitting kit. 

Thanks!

Edited by Shawn C.

I have no idea who is distributing the Modelsvit kits in US. As far as I know the manufacturer will be at the Moson show so I will ask them.

There is a code on the box tops of the kits. The colour of the background bar for the Limited Edition sign on the box top gives a clue as to how many kits are manufactured. I believe it will be made in a 2000 batch.

The East Germans had some camo versions as well as some of those Red Eagle ones. I will be tempted to do the US version, it simply looks good and something special!

Sad to see that the original Red Eagle scheme was washed off from the ones which are now public. I understand the sensitivity of the question (back then) but after so many years and declassification it should be treated as simply history! The only hope is that some more images will see the light of day with time from the AF.

Yes the book is excellent, I could not put it down. It is a fascinating story!

Best regards

Gabor

To follow up on my previous post. Remembered that there is somewhere a guide to the colour code on Modelsvit box tops. Found it.  :))

I think the An-225 will be a 300 piece edition.

Best regards

Gabor

Modelsvit Limited edition.jpg