Hobbycraft 1/44 B-36 - what type of plastic

Hello all,

Ive got a problem.  There's this B-36 (hobbycraft) I'm trying to build.  My problem is, my testors glue does not react with the plastic.  Is there a specific type of glue the kit was designed for?  Surely Im not doing it wrong.....

Ive never seen this sort of thing happen with a model kit.

Thanks for the help,

Douglas

Your polystyrene cement is, of course, a solvent, which works by dissolving a little bit of plastic so that the two parts have effectively become one when it sets.  A few kits are made of plastics that aren't polystyrene.  The most likely is ABS, which is related to polystyrene, but not closely enough - some early Trumpeter kits were made of that.  The only Hobbycraft kit I've built, though, was ordinary polystyrene and ordinary glue worked, so I'm not sure what might have happened with their B-36s.

However, while straight polystyrene cement won't work on ABS, methyl ethyl ketone will dissolve either of them.  Even if it's not ABS it's likely to be something related to it, in which case MEK is suitable, so you could try Pro-Weld or Plastic Weld.

Edited by pigsty
  • 3 weeks later...