Nova's Last Gasp - Squad Rod (OOB)

When it comes to the Automotive Dark Ages, there are a few certainties you can almost always rely on. One of those is that it was a bad time to be a storied nameplate, because the chances of you surviving with your name intact was pretty much nil. That’s why I love that era, from about 1973 to about 1987 so much; the cars in it were so lacklustre and neutered that people can’t help but want to forget them.

One good example is the Nova. While most people will choose to remember the late ‘60s and early ‘70s muscle-era pocket rockets, the truth is the Nova died a long and slow death, wasting away until replaced by the exciting, modern and much-ballyhooed Citation! (Nevermind it’s resurrection as a badge engineered Corolla…) For me, the thrill isn’t the early Novas that everyone remembers. Nope, it’s the cruddy, wheezy late models, the shadows of their former selves, that turns my crank.

For that reason, I was very excited to finally be able to get my hands on a copy of Round 2’s version of the MPC 1979 Nova – Squad Rod! As if the last Nova wasn’t sad enough, the MPC attempt to create a Police Hot Rod is just, well… disquieting. Check out this loserly last stand at the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/mpc-1-25-1979-nova-squad-rod-out-of-box/

squad-rod-oob-001.jpg?w=400

Edited by Faust

Don't weep for me. It could be way worse! :)

At least it's a different subject you don't often see. I'd rather that than a tri-chevvy or a gasser; too many of those if you ask me.

Now, is it going to be a pain? Yeah, I'm sure it will be! Will it tempt me to fling it against a wall? Sure will... several times, likely.

Is it going to be awesome to have my own welfare-Nova in the collection of Dark Ages losermobiles? Hell's yeah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh man... Corolla-Nova flashback! I would kill for a kit of one of those. That may be among the saddest of the nameplate dustoffs... 

I'm not sure the Horizon is worse. Wait, yeah... you're right. It is. 🙂