1/48 AH-64E Questions/Decal Options

Hello all,

Yesterday I picked this kit up from my LHS for 50% off which made it too sweet a deal to pass up:

IMG-20190207-075558169-2.jpg

I've wanted to build a Hasegawa Apache for a longtime now but just couldn't afford the asking price. The kit doesn't include any US Army markings and I want to do an US Apache. Now, I know very little about the Apache (hence the walk around book in the picture) so I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some help and guidance on.

1. Are there aftermarket decals available for US Army AH-64E Apache's and if so where/from whom? This would be the easiest route to take I imagine but my searches have come up empty.

If not then...

2. As I understand it the AH-64E is externally the same as the AH-64D Block II late except for the rotor blades correct? Both 'E' and 'D' rotor blade types are included in the kit so they are not an issue. If so, I could build the kit OOB and just make sure I have the correct rotors attached for the correct version of US decals I can secure... correct?

Which begs another question...

3. If no decals exist for US Army AH-64E's do aftermarket decals exist for US Army AH-64D Block II Late Apache's and if so where/from whom?

-If no decals exist for either then what would be my best route/best available decal sheet(s) to get for generic US Army Apache markings? I may be able to splice together correct serial numbers and such from various sheets to make a correct 'E' or Block II Late 'D'.

Last question...

4. Can all Apache's carry the mast mounted assembly (MMA) dome above the main rotors or can only certain Apache's carry it? I want to model my Apache with it.

Essentially fellas, how do I take the kit I have, use what's in the box, and make a US Army Apache without too much trouble? Decal scrounging aside of course.

Thanks all I really appreciate the help, guidance, thoughts, and opinions.

Regards,

Don

Would I be correct in saying that all US Army AH64E’s have the upturned “toilet bowl” style of exhausts?

As for AH64D, you could buy the Block III conversion from Armycast which includes the toilet bowl exhausts and decals.

https://www.armycast.cz/eshop/index.php?id_product=102&controller=product&id_lang=2

Thanks Dave. I copied the Hasegawa painting guides from your link for reference in case I need to piece together markings from various aftermarket sheets. Problem is... there seems to be no aftermarket US Army AH-64D II/III/E decals out there on the market right now. At least none that I can find at my usual haunts. Heck I'd take decals from that Hasegawa kit in a heartbeat right now.  It seems odd for the Apache to have so few (...no) aftermarket sheets available. When I got the kit yesterday I figured getting aftermarket US markings would be fairly easy. Boy was I wrong.

Scotthldr, I have all the correct parts for either a late 'D' or 'E' (exhausts and both types of rotor blades for the 'D' and 'E') I just need the US Army markings. I have never heard of that company before that you linked but I will check them out.

Thanks guys!

Regards,

Don

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Don said:

Replies

1. Are there aftermarket decals available for US Army AH-64E Apache's and if so where/from whom? This would be the easiest route to take I imagine but my searches have come up empty.

There are few options for single decals for the APACHE in 1/48, but that there are, yes, there are.

2. As I understand it the AH-64E is externally the same as the AH-64D Block II late except for the rotor blades correct? Both 'E' and 'D' rotor blade types are included in the kit so they are not an issue. If so, I could build the kit OOB and just make sure I have the correct rotors attached for the correct version of US decals I can secure... correct?

This Hasegawa kit allows you to build the "E" version released before the upgrade exhaust block III (ASP) upgrade package. In this case, it would be an "old" AH-64E.

3. If no decals exist for US Army AH-64E's do aftermarket decals exist for US Army AH-64D Block II Late Apache's and if so where/from whom?

-If no decals exist for either then what would be my best route/best available decal sheet(s) to get for generic US Army Apache markings? I may be able to splice together correct serial numbers and such from various sheets to make a correct 'E' or Block II Late 'D'.

I make my own decals (art in CORELDRAW). I'm going to post a picture of the art I made for my Apache "E" 1/48.

4. Can all Apache's carry the mast mounted assembly (MMA) dome above the main rotors or can only certain Apache's carry it? I want to model my Apache with it.

The Apache Guardian can carry the LONGBALL radar. You can not see many of them because usually in the missions they use only one aircraft with the radar and the others connected by "LINK 16" receiving online the targets designated by the device that is with LONGBALL.

Essentially fellas, how do I take the kit I have, use what's in the box, and make a US Army Apache without too much trouble? Decal scrounging aside of course.

Yes. Just missing the ASPI update.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Don said: