GWH F-15E vs Eduard boxing of Academy kit 1:48

Not as much out there on the GWH F-15E as I thought there might be. Looks like that kit is currently the top of heap, and the most current configuration of the jet. My question is if the Eduard Striking Eagles release of the Academy kit is a worthy competitor to the GWH kit?  No so worried how current the configuration is, as it will the one and only F-15E on the shelf. Both kits are loaded up with weapons, which is what I want. Eduard kit has nice nozzles, decals, seats and wheels which is about the only details that will be visible on the shelf. I can get a second hand boxing of the Eduard kit for about the same money or perhaps a bit less than the GWH boxing.  Opinions, thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

I do NOT have the 1/48 GWH F-15E. I was really excited about buying it (it was on my must have list), until I started building the 1/48 GWH F-15C. And I now, will not be buying their F-15E. The F-15C and F-15E have the same basic construction sequence. A warning about the F-15C (which will also apply to the F-15E) is that you must build the fuselage, intakes, intake trunks, and wings in a complicated multi-step construction sequence, in which any errors will compound down the line and could prevent an easy assembly process. I could not get the intakes, intake trunks, and fuselage to line up correctly and to fix the many alignment issues I had to do some serious cutting with a razor saw, serious clamping, and much putty work to get things together. It is bad enough that I am going to buy intake covers and use them to hide all the alignment issues. So a general warning about the GWH 1/48 F-15 series is, it's a complicated assembly fraught with many perils, at least for me. As usual, YMMV. 

How concerned are you about accuracy?  While Eduard tarted up the Academy kit with a lot of PE and some nice resin exhausts and seats, they didn’t really fix many of the problems with the Academy kit.  Problems such as missing the bulged main gear doors, missing gun clip load fairing under the belly, only two side CFT pylons instead of the correct three per side, only two bottom CFT stations instead of the proper three (although when missiles were carried, as well as some of the longer bombs, only two stations could be actually used), and having the A-G loadout carried underwing on the MERs that were only used on the F-15B Demonstrator that was sort of the Strike Eagle prototype, instead of being mostly carried on the CFT pylons.  For accuracy, the Academy kit is little better than some of the boxings of the old Hasegawa kit.

If you want an accurate F-15E, GHW is the way to go.  For a cheaper accurate alternative, I’d recommend the Revell Strike Eagle (boxing with the bombs).  HTH.

I don’t have the Eduard rebox but, as Dave mentioned, if it is the same as the original Academy kit (which I do have) it is just a D model with CFTs of dubious accuracy. 

The Revell E kits are outstanding IMO. 

I haven't built the GWH E model yet but I can talk about the C. Unlike modelingbob, I really thought the C kit was superb. I think it was one of the best F-15's I've built. The GWH E model is on my list to buy but I'm still balking at the price.  If the price doesn't go down, I will still buy it. Like habu2 and Dave Williams, the Revell F-15E is a very good alternative though dated. :clap2:

IMO, I can't compare the Academy to the GWH or Revell under any circumstances.

Edited by airmechaja
opinion
1 hour ago, modelingbob said:

I do NOT have the 1/48 GWH F-15E. I was really excited about buying it (it was on my must have list), until I started building the 1/48 GWH F-15C. And I now, will not be buying their F-15E. The F-15C and F-15E have the same basic construction sequence. A warning about the F-15C (which will also apply to the F-15E) is that you must build the fuselage, intakes, intake trunks, and wings in a complicated multi-step construction sequence, in which any errors will compound down the line and could prevent an easy assembly process. I could not get the intakes, intake trunks, and fuselage to line up correctly and to fix the many alignment issues I had to do some serious cutting with a razor saw, serious clamping, and much putty work to get things together. It is bad enough that I am going to buy intake covers and use them to hide all the alignment issues. So a general warning about the GWH 1/48 F-15 series is, it's a complicated assembly fraught with many perils, at least for me. As usual, YMMV. 

I have built GWH C and J and did *not* use any putty at all. Fit was great. Maybe somehow you had a lemon. 

About GWH vs Academy since I never had an academy one so my comment will be just about GWH. I think it is one of the best kits out there. At the same level with kinetic Su-33, AMK Mig-31 and tamiya f-14. 

If money is not an issue, go with GWH F-15 + KA models exhausts. They are work of art. 

Edited by foxmulder_ms

The GWH Strike Eagle isnt accurate either....

Wheels are wrong

Rear cockpit is wrong

And other things... its been discuss here before but cant find the thread.

In my opinion... revell-o-gram is still better, but its for the Desert Storm era.

Edited by adamitri
Spelling

I’m building the Academy C now. The intakes are a bear, but overall fit is generally good. The shape issues are noticeable when compared to another kit like Hasegawa, Great Wall Hobby, and Revell (E).  I’m in the same boat you are, so I nabbed a Revell F-15E, and this limited edition F-15C for all the great weapons. 

31 minutes ago, jester292 said:

I’m building the Academy C now. The intakes are a bear, but overall fit is generally good. The shape issues are noticeable when compared to another kit like Hasegawa, Great Wall Hobby, and Revell (E).  I’m in the same boat you are, so I nabbed a Revell F-15E, and this limited edition F-15C for all the great weapons. 

Probably the best way to go....

As of right now...the best Strike Eagle is still the Revell kit, it'll just need updated. 

The best F-15C is still the Hasegawa, as the GWH has errors as well (intakes being very undersized)

Overall the best shape is still the Monogram F-15A/C...like a lot of the old kits. 

5 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

GWH has errors as well (intakes being very undersized)

Wow, I didn't know that. I haven't heard of that problem before. Any more info on this?

13 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

GWH has errors as well (intakes being very undersized)

I just measured my Academy intakes. They are 5/8"in width. My GWH intakes are 11/16". That makes the  GWH 1/16" wider than the Academy. I didn't measure the length but I will if I have to. :wave:

2 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I just measured my Academy intakes. They are 5/8"in width. My GWH intakes are 11/16". That makes the  GWH 1/16" wider than the Academy. I didn't measure the length but I will if I have to. :wave:

Great info, thanks. By length, do you mean from top to bottom? That would good to know too. Now if someone could measure a Hasegawa F-15's intakes. I have no built F-15s at this time.

Also, unless I completely missed it, the GWH kit does not contain a centerline pylon, which is kind of a glaring error, as the F-15E pretty much always carries the C/L pylon, especially in combat. And (this is just a personal observation rather than an actual shortfall) I don't like how there are no positive location holes for the LANTIRN pylons on the fuselage bottom. 

Aaron 

Edited by strikeeagle801
25 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

as the F-15E always carries the C/L pylon.

Are you sure?

170520-F-JH807-912.JPG

Source: US Air Force website

That being said, 95% of the pictures show the pylon in place 🙂

Edited by arnobiz
2 hours ago, Mstor said:

By length, do you mean from top to bottom?

Yes. Top to Bottom. Now you made me do it. The Academy is 1 27/32". The GWH is 1 15/16". GWH is 3/32" taller.

My C model GWH has the center line pylon and fuel tank. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, airmechaja said:

Yes. Top to Bottom. Now you made me do it. The Academy is 1 27/32". The GWH is 1 15/16". GWH is 3/32" taller.

My C model GWH has the center line pylon and fuel tank. :thumbsup:

Well then, the GWH intakes are smaller compared to the Academy ones. Don't remember seeing any complaints that the Academy F-15's intakes were too small. Need someone who has a built Hasegawa F-15 to measure theirs. Set this to rest.

18 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Well then, the GWH intakes are smaller compared to the Academy ones. Don't remember seeing any complaints that the Academy F-15's intakes were too small. Need someone who has a built Hasegawa F-15 to measure theirs. Set this to rest.

No. The GWH intakes are larger. Wider by 1/16". Longer by 3/32" .

7 hours ago, airmechaja said:

No. The GWH intakes are larger. Wider by 1/16". Longer by 3/32" .

Dyslexia kicked in. I said the opposite of what I meant. Thanks for the correction. :doh:

On 2/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jonathan_Lotton said:

As of right now...the best Strike Eagle is still the Revell kit, it'll just need updated. 

The best F-15C is still the Hasegawa, as the GWH has errors as well (intakes being very undersized)

Overall the best shape is still the Monogram F-15A/C...like a lot of the old kits. 

Sorry for aggressive language BUT GWH's intake's being under scale is complete BS. They are perfect. If you mean intake "trunks" being too skinny then maybe but they invisible once the kit is build.

There is nothing wrong with the overall shape and curves on GWH either. 

When it comes to details GWH beats anything out there. 

However, it has two flaws (nothing is perfect):

1) Horizontal tails are too thick. Hasegawa ones are thinner (more accurate for the thickness) but they lack reinforcing plates hence detail that GWH has.

2) Exhaust are about 2mm too long. But others offer much worse details anyway. 

With these two flaws GWH offerings are still by far the best if money isn't a factor. 

Ultimate eagle is GWH + Ka models exhausts + HAS horizontal tails. 😄