Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
is it windy yet?

GWH F-15E vs Eduard boxing of Academy kit 1:48

Recommended Posts

Dmanton's built the 1/72 GWH F-15E and the 1/72 Academy F-15K (I think). I believe he made a side-by-side photo and the GWH looked weird to me: the front fuselage looked skinny (width and height a tad too small). Since the 1/72 CAD probably derived from the 1/48, if there's a shape issue indeed, the 1/48 should have the same issue. Is there a 1/48 GWH F-15E/I vs built other F-15 comparison photo around ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't recommend any version of the Academy kit because of the shape issue it has. Its engines are to much for me, combined with its inaccurate CFT pylons (cockpit can be fixed with a resin tub), its a none runner because the Revell kit is about the same cost and much better.

 

GWH vs the Revell kit is fine, but not the Academy kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

 

 

Sorry for aggressive language BUT GWH's intake's being under scale is complete BS. They are perfect. If you mean intake "trunks" being too skinny then maybe but they invisible once the kit is build.

 

There is nothing wrong with the overall shape and curves on GWH either. 

 

When it comes to details GWH beats anything out there. 

 

However, it has two flaws (nothing is perfect):

 

1) Horizontal tails are too thick. Hasegawa ones are thinner (more accurate for the thickness) but they lack reinforcing plates hence detail that GWH has.

 

2) Exhaust are about 2mm too long. But others offer much worse details anyway. 

 

With these two flaws GWH offerings are still by far the best if money isn't a factor. 

 

Ultimate eagle is GWH + Ka models exhausts + HAS horizontal tails. 😄

 

 

You forgot the biggest mistake in their F-15 kits! They don't include pilot figures, thus they're unbuildable!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Laurent said:

Dmanton's built the 1/72 GWH F-15E and the 1/72 Academy F-15K (I think). I believe he made a side-by-side photo and the GWH looked weird to me: the front fuselage looked skinny (width and height a tad too small). Since the 1/72 CAD probably derived from the 1/48, if there's a shape issue indeed, the 1/48 should have the same issue. Is there a 1/48 GWH F-15E/I vs built other F-15 comparison photo around ?

 

Scaling CAD files is not a valid assumption. Put Academy’s 1/48 & 1/72 Eagle kit side by side and you will see they don’t share shape issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, habu2 said:

 

Scaling CAD files is not a valid assumption. Put Academy’s 1/48 & 1/72 Eagle kit side by side and you will see they don’t share shape issues. 

I disagree. According to Scalemates, the 1/48 Academy F-15C/D tooling appeared in 1989 while the 1/72 F-15K appeared in 2017. 28 years have passed, the F-15K probably has been made from scratch based on new reference material (I'm not sure Academy used CAD in 1989). The situation is different for GWH as the 1/48 F-15I was released in 2016 while the 1/72 F-15E/I was released in 2017 so here the 1/48 CAD and 1/72 CAD are most likely to be related.

Edited by Laurent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Academy's 1/48 F-15 are the same for all F-15C/D and E's, just sharpening up the tools and adding new sprues with new parts depending on version. 
I have built them all and as you can see over on Cybermodeler review tab and 1999.co.jp/eng. 

So no new-tool per se. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niels said:

I have built them all and as you can see over on Cybermodeler review tab and 1999.co.jp/eng.

Did you build the GWH kit Niels ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the F-15B/D with the corrected parts. I will take GWH anytime - love them. Have 2xF-15C and 1xF-15I and 1xF-15E in the stash waiting in line. The F-15I will be built as an F-15E too. 

Don't get me wrong - have built the Hasegawa F-15C/D/E and Academy F-15C/D/E's too, but I just love the way GWH ensured a good fit between the front cockpit section and the rest of the fuselage, eliminating many of the fit issues I experienced in this area on the Hasegawa and Academy kits. 

The recent boxings of both Academy and Hasegawa are good, but GWH in my opinion trumps both. 

Edited by Niels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niels said:

Yes, the F-15B/D with the corrected parts. I will take GWH anytime - love them. Have 2xF-15C and 1xF-15I and 1xF-15E in the stash waiting in line. The F-15I will be built as an F-15E too. 

Would it be possible for you to make a top+side view comparison of your GWH B/D and of another built model to see if there are difference in the front fuselage ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, should be possible🤔. Will give it a try later today and get back to you. 

 

If I remember correctly, when GWH released the initial F-15B/D kit, they received a lot of heat for wrong shape on certain parts, which they corrected and issued replacements free of charge. Lucky Model sold their kits with the corrections already applied. During those discussions, the shape naturally was a topic, and if I recall correctly GWH was accomodated for getting the shape right once they corrected the wrongly shaped parts, hence don't expect any issues. 

Edited by Niels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Laurent said:

I disagree. According to Scalemates, the 1/48 Academy F-15C/D tooling appeared in 1989 while the 1/72 F-15K appeared in 2017. 28 years have passed, the F-15K probably has been made from scratch based on new reference material (I'm not sure Academy used CAD in 1989). The situation is different for GWH as the 1/48 F-15I was released in 2016 while the 1/72 F-15E/I was released in 2017 so here the 1/48 CAD and 1/72 CAD are most likely to be related.

 

The 1/72 Academy F-15 series was initially released around 1990, very close to when they released their 1/48 series. These are the ones that are relevant when talking about sharing design plans.   I haven’t seen this F-15K kit that you assume is new tool, but Academy has re-released the almost 30 year old 1/72 and 1/48 molds numerous times with only updated or added parts and decals. Go look at the timelines on scalemates for both kits/scales. 

 

Again, you stated you are making assumptions about sharing CAD and new tools. I bought the both the 1/72 and 1/48 Academy kits when they came out and it is a fact they are not merely scaled versions of each other with respect to CAD or mold design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, habu2 said:

The 1/72 Academy F-15 series was initially released around 1990, very close to when they released their 1/48 series. These are the ones that are relevant when talking about sharing design plans.   I haven’t seen this F-15K kit that you assume is new tool, but Academy has re-released the almost 30 year old 1/72 and 1/48 molds numerous times with only updated or added parts and decals. Go look at the timelines on scalemates for both kits/scales.

These are the 1/72 Academy kits I'm talking about:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12554.shtml

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12550.shtml

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Laurent said:

 

Definitely new mold, as Laurent stated. These are essentially snap-fit kits. Rather complex snap-fit, but snap-fit none the less. According to Scalemates, the F-15E was released in 2017. I watched a review of one of the early F-15C kits and it is a completely different kit compared to the new F-15E (yes apples to oranges, but the early F-15E tooling would have been based on the initial F-15C tooling).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×