Correcting Hobby Boss FB-111 intakes

I have been wondering what would be the easiest way of correcting the intakes on the 1/48 Hobby Boss FB-111 kit. The kit appears to have TP I intakes with the splitter plate and the aircraft, as I understand, has TP II intakes. Has anyone tried using DMold's TP II intakes, which are designed for the Academy kit? There is also a rare Cutting Edge TP II intake set for the Academy kit that has supposedly been adapted by at least one modeler (unknown) to the Hobby Boss kit. If push comes to shove can I just fudge it by cutting away the splitter plate and filling in the surrounding area?

I know the Hobby Boss kit has a ton of problems. Some of them I will try to address and the intakes are one of those issues that, to me, just stick out too much.

As I look at the kit, I am beginning to wonder if I should just ditch it and get the Academy one, along with the ton of aftermarket needed to bring that one up to par. At least the aftermarket is available.

I built the HB FB-111 kit last year and I don’t remember the splitter plates, both types may be included but mine was built OOB with no splitters. The only issue with the intakes was the spike was too short for an FB. It wasn’t really noticeable so I left it as is.

My time was spent fixing the canopy which in my opinion was a deal breaker if not corrected with a squadron canopy. And the bomb bay doors had to be rescribed and split at the correct angles.

The Caracal intake RAM panel decals also dress up the intakes nicely. But if trying to adapt the Dmold intakes to the HB kit I’ve heard that the main wheel well would have to be modified to allow relief.

Edited by Hooker169
1 hour ago, Hooker169 said:

both types may be included but mine was built OOB with no splitters. The only issue with the intakes was the spike was too short for an FB. It wasn’t really noticeable so I left it as is.

My time was spent fixing the canopy which in my opinion was a deal breaker if not corrected with a squadron canopy. And the bomb bay doors had to be rescribed and split at the correct angles.

The Caracal intake RAM panel decals also dress up the intakes nicely. But if trying to adapt the Dmold intakes to the HB kit I’ve heard that the main wheel well would have to be modified to allow relief.

Hi Mark! :wave:

I confirm that the Hobby Boss 1/48th scale FB-111 kit has got the TPII intakes included as well.

Also, I support everything my mate Hooker has stated with regard to that kit. He's posted great pictures of his finished kit on the Critique Corner? section. Just awesome! :thumbsup:

The issues which worries me the most about that kit are the windshield and the flaps. As Hooker said, you'll need to get a vac-form one (or trying that MRC agree to sell you one from an Academy kit - I tried that option to no avail). 

Also, the engine shrouds are missing one segment on the rings; there're 6 on the real aircraft, and there're 5 on the Hobby Boss kit :rolleyes: G-Factor or Scaledown are your mates for that purpose.

The DMold intakes might fit the Hobby Boss kit allright - remember the Academy main landing gear well is a lot shallower than on the Hobby Boss kit (depth is correct on the latter), so you might have to modify the main landing gear well so as to graft the trunks onto it.

Flaps are fixable, thank Zeus.

Great kit to kitbash with the Academy one, but it' can be corrected with a bit of patience and a lot of quid.

Cheers,

Onigiri

Edited by Doppelgänger
Edited for + clarity
2 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

But if trying to adapt the Dmold intakes to the HB kit I’ve heard that the main wheel well would have to be modified to allow relief.

You have to do that anyway on the academy kit, so the same goes regardless of which kit you use them on.

Thanks guys. I didn't know that the kit included TP II intakes. Every pic of a built model that I could find had TP I intakes with splitter plates. I haven't really dug into the kit itself and was just going on the pics I had seen. I'll have to go look at the instructions.

Onigiri, got the Squadron windshield/canopy and aftermarket exhausts, G-Factor I believe.

Again, thanks!

Mark

P.S. here's some pics of a built up Hobby Boss FB-111 with the splitter plates on the intakes.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/168886.aspx

8 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Mark, here's Hooker's thread he posted on The Display Case section (not The Critique Corner)

Check the intakes on his Vark.

Left click on this link (your other left)

The G-Force resin exhausts are superb; I've still got to get them for my build.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Yea, I remember seeing that build. For some reason, whenever I went Googling for Hobby Boss builds to look at the intakes I only saw ones with the splitter plate. I must be losing it. In any case, my mind is set at ease in that regards, even of the shock cone is a little too small. Thanks again Onigiri.

Mark

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Yea, I remember seeing that build. For some reason, whenever I went Googling for Hobby Boss builds to look at the intakes I only saw ones with the splitter plate. I must be losing it. In any case, my mind is set at ease in that regards, even of the shock cone is a little too small. Thanks again Onigiri.

Mark

I have the F-111A kit somewhere and in it there's only one version of the intakes, the TP I. But, the splitter plate is an optional part that you can leave off. 

From what I can see, the same parts are used in the FB-111 kit:

10102814z10.jpg

That leaves you with the shorter shock cone, but also the blow in doors are missing. Supposedly, the first FB-111A had TP I intakes so perhaps you can make that one?

http://www.f-111.net/models/inlets/index.htm

image014.jpg

2 hours ago, ijozic said:

I have the F-111A kit somewhere and in it there's only one version of the intakes, the TP I. But, the splitter plate is an optional part that you can leave off. 

10102814z10.jpg

That leaves you with the shorter shock cone, but also the blow in doors are missing. Supposedly, the first FB-111A had TP I intakes so perhaps you can make that one?

http://www.f-111.net/models/inlets/index.htm

image014.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. I haven't had time to dig out the FB-111 kit and look. I suppose I could cut out the blow in door myself. God, this is beginning to feel like a disaster waiting to happen. I wish someone would release a new tool ACCURATE 1/48 F/FB-111 family of kits.

Edited by Mstor
correct spelling error
On 2/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, ijozic said:

10102814z10.jpg

Why are peolpe so stubborn? Why are you saying that the Hobby Boss 1/48 FB-111 has got one version of intakes when you haven't got that particular kit, and also you've already read me saying that the Hobby Boss 1/48 FB-111 - the specific kit the enquiry was regarding (and the specific kit I've got - which is NOT the F-111A, by the way) DOES BRING BOTH INTAKE TYPES AS I STATED PREVIOUSLY...???!!!

Part B13 & B14 (neither B15 nor B16) are for the TPII intakes, and they're right there on sprue B!

Why don't you just SHUT UP if you're not certain about the matter, instead of confusing a modeller whose enquire was already answered much before you ever came on the thread?

Jesus Christ! I'm raving mad now!!!

Just zip it!

Please be civil.  Signed Steve Bamford

^^ Dude chill out.

I have to say that although I don't have any 'Vark kit this is a really informative topic (and confusing) in regards to these intake issues and types. Thanks fellas.

Edited by Whiskey
7 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks for posting the pics. I haven't had time to dig out the FB-111 kit and look. I suppose I could cut out the blow in door myself. God, this is beginning to feel like a disaster waiting to happen. I wish someone would release a new tool ACCURATE 1/48 F/FB-111 family of kits.

Edited 5 hours ago by Mstor

It’s really not that bad. If you concentrate on the canopy, and inlets (longer spike) then rescribe the closed bomb bay it will look really nice.

Maybe throw on new exhausts too but it builds into a nice model. The panel lines and riveting make it easy to weather and stand out, the Academy kit is really soft on details in that regard.

And to just to be clear, only the first FB had the TPI inlets like previously mentioned, all subsequent had TPII.

The blow-in doors were closed with engines off or in actual flight. That’s what @ElectroSoldier was getting at when he mentioned that you have to “figure what you want the model to be doing.”  I’m sure he’d be happy to elaborate if needed.

Thanks Hooker169, that's reassuring. The biggest issue I want to correct is the windshield/canopy. I am hoping I am up to "grafting" that on. I read your post in the Display Case when you first posted it and bookmarked it. It'll probably be a while before I start the 111, but I appreciate the offer of help and will probably hit you up with a few questions when I do.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:30 AM, Doppelgänger said:

Part B13 & B14 (neither B15 nor B16) are for the TPII intakes, and they're right there on sprue B!

I forgot that the TP II outer frames with inlets are provided in all of the kits; my bad for relying on instructions only (and not checking the sprues) as HB made so many mistakes on the kit, it's an honest mistake to assume they forgot about something else, as well.

That still leaves the shock cone too short being that the part is from TP I and all the aftermarket intake correction parts are for some reason long OOP and hard to find (or I'm searching at wrong places). They pop on ebay now and then, but end up going for as much as the whole kit can be found for (and these were not the full seamless ones even).

I personally got an HB F-111A for cheap, but wanted to make an E or F out of it. Got the Verlinden F-111F set and the vac-formed canopy, but the cockpit part in the Verlinden set is actually an F-111E. Since HB never made an F, there are no detail sets for it and since it had different exhausts due to stronger engines, it's getting too expensive to make an F out of this.

Edited by madmike
Trolling comment removed.
On 2/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, ijozic said:

I forgot that the TP II outer frames with inlets are provided in all of the kits; my bad for relying on instructions only (and not checking the sprues) as HB made so many mistakes on the kit, it's an honest mistake to assume they forgot about something else, as well.

That still leaves the shock cone too short being that the part is from TP I and all the aftermarket intake correction parts are for some reason long OOP. They pop on ebay now and then, but end up going for as much as the whole kit can be found for (and these were not the full seamless ones even).

The Dmold inlets are available 

F-111_page.JPG

Edited by madmike
Trolling comment (quoted) removed.

16 minutes ago, Hooker169 said:

The Dmold inlets are available 

Yeah, those would be great, thanks, but are in the US and shipping from US got prohibitively expensive (plus, I got the whole kit for $35). 

So, I was hoping at some non-full length intake set which are OOP so I wouldn't have to mod the wrongly shaped main wheelbay to fit them. E.g. OzMods used to make some, but they don't have them anymore for some reason (I did get their canopies).

It's like there was a bunch of stuff made for the Academy, but nothing for the HB apart from some cockpit PE and such.

Edited by ijozic
4 minutes ago, ijozic said:

Yeah, those are great, but are in the US and shipping from US got prohibitively expensive. 

Are you sure? I ordered from DMold in December and, as usual, the items came from Russia. I'm in the UK and postage was very reasonable.

Jon

11 minutes ago, jonbryon said:

Are you sure? I ordered from DMold in December and, as usual, the items came from Russia. I'm in the UK and postage was very reasonable.

Hmm, their webpage says they have moved the company to Arizona, US, but maybe they still produce the stuff in Russia then? 

But, it's good to know that there's still an option to get it from Russia as the shipment to EU would be much cheaper.

Did you fit them on the HB kit perhaps? I'm kind of thinking that it would be better to get the Academy F-111F as a base (or the Italeri rebox) and sell off the HB kit.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, ijozic said:

Hmm, their webpage says they have moved the company to Arizona, US, but maybe they still produce the stuff in Russia then? 

But, it's good to know that there's still an option to get it from Russia as the shipment to EU would be much cheaper.

Did you fit them on the HB kit perhaps? I'm kind of thinking that it would be better to get the Academy F-111F as a base (or the Italeri rebox) and sell off the HB kit.

Yes, I believe the items are still made in Russia. That's certainly where they are posted from.

I have not tried to fit the intakes to the HB kit although I've been led to believe they will fit with some minor work.

Jon

There was a Cutting Edge TPII set on eBay recently. I was watching and tempted. It had the spike as a separate part from the intake and the seller stated that a Japanese modeler had used them on a HB kit. But at $68 plus shipping from Japan, well I passed and its been snatched up already. So that leaves the DMold ones. I wish there was someone around who has actually put them on the HB kit. Without guidance I would certainly cock it up. Oh well, no rush.

Oh, yea, DMold parts are certainly made and shipped from Russia. I've gotten a number of Dmitri's set and that's were they come from. Whether Dmitri is still in Arizona or is back in Russia, I don't know.

17 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

It’s really not that bad. If you concentrate on the canopy, and inlets (longer spike) then rescribe the closed bomb bay it will look really nice.

Maybe throw on new exhausts too but it builds into a nice model. The panel lines and riveting make it easy to weather and stand out, the Academy kit is really soft on details in that regard.

And to just to be clear, only the first FB had the TPI inlets like previously mentioned, all subsequent had TPII.

The blow-in doors were closed with engines off or in actual flight. That’s what @ElectroSoldier was getting at when he mentioned that you have to “figure what you want the model to be doing.”  I’m sure he’d be happy to elaborate if needed.

They would open when the flow of air through the intake wasnt high enough to feed the running engines...

Its hard to model any of them accuratly in this regard as the exhaust cans are always fully open from what I've seen.

I wouldn't be modeling the aircraft with engines running, so gladly that won't be a problem. Unless I have to scribe the right doors on the intake sides. That's not that big a deal.

56 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yeah the blow in doors fit if the engines are off, but the engine exhausts dont...

I'm not getting it. What's wrong with the engine exhausts other that the wrong number of segments? Note I have aftermarket exhausts.