Correcting Hobby Boss FB-111 intakes

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

I'm not getting it. What's wrong with the engine exhausts other that the wrong number of segments? Note I have aftermarket exhausts.

Similar to the F-14, when the engines are shut down one at a time, one nozzle will be fully closed and the other fully open.

6 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Similar to the F-14, when the engines are shut down one at a time, one nozzle will be fully closed and the other fully open.

Yes, I know I had heard that somewhere. Scaledown makes a "burnercan" set with both open and closed nozzles. Will have to pick that one up.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, ijozic said:

On 2/13/2019 at 4:00 AM, Mstor said:

I wouldn't be modeling the aircraft with engines running, so gladly that won't be a problem. Unless I have to scribe the right doors on the intake sides. That's not that big a deal.

Mark, no need to scribe the doors as they're scribed on each sides of the TPII intake plastic parts B13 & B14 if you want to depict them open.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Mstor said:

Note I have aftermarket exhausts.

The G-Factor ones are awesome; the OzMods/Scaledown ones are good but less detailed.

I'd get a pilot to place it in the cockpit instead, so that both engines were powered up so both nozzles would be opened all the way up, as in the set.

Besides, a pilot in the cockpit always adds a better sense of the dimension of the aircraft he's riding on.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Edited by madmike
Trolling comment (quoted) removed.
21 hours ago, Mstor said:

I'm not getting it. What's wrong with the engine exhausts other that the wrong number of segments? Note I have aftermarket exhausts.

Its been talked about on here before.

When the crew shut down the engines they do them one at a time, the first has the power to close the nozzles as it still has power from the running engine, when the second engine is shut down there is no power to close the nozzles so they stay open.. .

Its something most modellers miss, most concentrate on accurate intake spikes, seamless intakes or accurate bomb loads 🙂

17 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Its been talked about on here before.

When the crew shut down the engines they do them one at a time, the first has the power to close the nozzles as it still has power from the running engine, when the second engine is shut down there is no power to close the nozzles so they stay open.. .

Its something most modellers miss, most concentrate on accurate intake spikes, seamless intakes or accurate bomb loads 🙂

Thanks, Hooker169 said the same thing, and I remembered hearing it before. Like the F-14As, same engine in fact, the P&W TF30.

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

:woot.gif:

Mark, no need to scribe the doors as they're scribed on each sides of the TPII intake plastic parts B13 & B14 if you want to depict them open.

The G-Factor ones are awesome; the OzMods/Scaledown ones are good but less detailed.

I'd get a pilot to place it in the cockpit instead, so that both engines were powered up so both nozzles would be opened all the way up, as in the set.

Besides, a pilot in the cockpit always adds a better sense of the dimension of the aircraft he's riding on.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Thanks for the info on the doors. I think I have one other exhaust set besides the G-Factors ones, but I can't remember which ones they are. I haven't dug the kit out yet.

As far as a pilot goes, I've haven't put one in a model since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  I take that back. I put Hans Solo and Leia in the front seats of a Fine Molds Millennium Falcon about two years ago when I first got back into modeling.  1/72 scale, so a little easier to fudge the painting into something reasonable.  :clap2:

Mark