Vallejo Polyurethane primer

You can use their airbrush thinner, but I don’t recommend their primer, or the standard  Ammo MiG or AK Interactive primers either.  I’ve used all three, and had them lift up when using enamel based weathering products.

The only acrylic primers I’ll use are the Mission Models primers and Badger Stynylrez.  I believe the Badger Stynylrez is also repackaged by Ammo MiG as their “One Shot Primer” and by UMP as their “Ultimate Primer”.

Edited by Dave Williams

Vallejo primer works a bit differently from other primers you may be used to. Rather that forming a chemical bond with the plastic, it forns a very thin but pretty tough almost rubbery (polyurethane) layer over the plastic.

It's fairly robust and keeps Vallejo paints from rubbing off. But you can't sand it. Since it's essentially a rubber sheet, when you try to sand it begins to tear and come off in ragged flakes.

I've used it on a few models and the result was okay. It works very well over brass and aluminum parts, but sandable primers seem more versatile.

i just made that poor experience myself working on a pair of red devil hunters in 1/48.

I bought the primer because the LHS didn't have Mr Surfacer white on stock, So I'd figured let's try it.

Of course after priming I  had to correct some line engraving and Indeed, sanding it created very visible marks you can't hide later on regardless of how many thin layers of paint you spray. You will Always have a stair effect because of the vinyl nature of the primer.

I tried to correct it but in the end I had to sand the whole panel to the next closest panel line to keep the damage to the minmum

A primer you can't sand … no thanks, never again