Wow, this is going to be good. I have several builds to do this year.

Horizons Rockets, Mercury Redstone and Mercury Atlas I'll build in my other thread.

To do:

1/48 Lunar Module (Challenger)

1/16 Astronaut (Ed Mitchell with scratch built Tool cattier)

1/144 Seaking with CM. (Similar to my Apollo 13 dio)

1/12 Astronaut (Charlie Duke, to add with my Apollo 16 LRV with John Young)

I'll add pics this arvo.

Thanks Bill, I'll do my best. So the Horizon Redstone and Atlas will be over in my other thread. I've had the LM for 3 years, it's changed from Apollo 12 to 14 to 15 to now 17. The SeaKing will be hovering over the Apollo 11 capsule on the ocean scene. That CM I cast from the Apollo 11 Dicast Saturn V re-entry CM.

ED Mitchell here, will be pulling along the two wheeled tool carrier.

IMG_4882

John Young will soon have Charlie Duke sitting next to him.

Edited by ApolloMan

Nice to see you here Mick!

So the CM will be with the SeaKing, is the LM gonna be a separate diorama?

And you've got till the end of August to get all these done ... I'm gonna enjoy watching 'em all come together!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Well Pete, the SeaKing is 1/144, small n should be a quick build. I know it says no aircraft, but with the CM in the water, hehe, it should pass. 

The LM, I may just have it stand alone atm. Just until I can complete the others, it will be last to start.

I have the 1/16 ED nearly complete and the 1/12 Charlie, should only need painting as its 3D printed. 

Hopefully these will come one after the other and get as many done as possible. With all the Sea time I have this year.

My big Apollo project is on the back burner, more on that later.

You guys are all going well in the Group. I've been looking over all of them since being back. I have allot of catch up to do

20190217_185139

So I made a start on the Apollo 11 dio. These little SeaKings are gems, such detail in such a small scale. Undicided if I'll have the "64" support aircraft with "OLD 66".

Quite frustrating as this one has only the Apollo 13 decals, and I need to make it into Apollo 11, where as the 1/48 Apollo 11 Seaking model, I bought years ago, I had to buy after market Apollo 13 decals.

This CM is cast from my Bandai kit, I'll add putty float collar and float balls, along with 2 rafts.

20190217_183404received_357445345092212

I also bought these small figures to add as divers and crew.

Yar fully formed, do need some small details added, like life jackets, dive tanks. The water, I may need to fix still. It was a rough sea state on the day of recovery. I have the second Helo done and will spray them soon. They are fairly straight forward builds. The rafts n collars I'm dreading, so small. I'll get there.

Ok, got the trim lines down on the helo's. Painted the Insignia White AS-20 first, followed by the Light Grey AS-16. 

20190225_061321

I'm not going to attempt masking the wind screens. I'll just mix some dull white. 

20190224_183323

Meanwhile the actual space part of this build, hehe. The lil CM has its Milliputty float collar, and life rafts. Float balls are to the right. Anitially I just intended to have Old 66 swoop in an drop off the lead swimmer to open the hatch. With the collar and divers in the water and raft. Now I think I'll have the space trio in there raft also.

downloadfile

downloadfile-1

The rafts look pretty good!

It's hard to tell that you've got the Grey painted on ... should it be a darker shade?

As a sailor, would you consider those sea conditions choppy? I forgot it was a little rough, I thought the conditions were calm for Apollo 11.

Keep up the itsy-bitsy work on this Mick!   :thumbsup:

Pete

NICE! this is going to be an awesome diorama.

I did a 1/32 scale splashdown dio many many moons ago and to me the hardest part to get right was the getting righting balloons to look right. Not only the seam pattern but making them look like they are inflated objects and not solid. 

Keep up the great work!

Yar thanks Pete, I thought the same, but it's the same grey I used for my 1/48 OLD 66, I think it's the scale and lighting. I did paint the grey again with a slightly darker grey. That sea state is around 1 to 2. I tried to get the resin to look choppy, still needs white wash added. It's 3mm crackled perspex glued to 6mm perspex. I gave the top a couple of coats of resin mixed with a few drops of clear blue. Once dry, a light coat of metallic blue. Same on bottom, but with bursts of light blue, green, silver then black layer.

20190302_184522

Niart17, I had that problem on my 1/48 Apollo 13 recovery dio. I used 1/24 Gemini tanks for the floats, and recal painting them several times to get that hexagonal and pentagon pattern down.

20190302_184620

Still lots to do. Enjoy

The water looks ex-cell-ent! And the wash from the helicopters is too! 

The way you've got the 'copters mounted is almost invisible, at this angle anyway ... and they look great! 

Um, have you thought of maybe contacting a local museum or Library to show your models there? They may be having a talk or some kind of acknowledgment of Apollo 11's accomplishment. And you've got a superb collection Mick! ... and they could just be on display for July ...... I'm just thinking out loud, don't mind me ...   ;- )

This dio is really coming along quickly and you're doing a heckuva job on it!

Pete

Pete, thanks for the nice coments. I called 3 museum's several years ago about displaying my Apollo 12 LUT and MLP, no interest, Oh well.

I have the SeaKing's suspended by ordinary pins, just took the ball off the top. Rotors painted and glued in place. 

Hajo L, a little wash added with white, may add and fix more. Did more work on the CM Columbia, with Bare metal gold foil and small details.

20190303_221607

Next will be decals on the Old 66 and 64

20190303_221631

I need to remake my rafts, turned out to small for figures.

20190303_221817

Happy with it at the moment, still need to get all the figures sorted.

7 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

That´s a great looking diorama!

... I agree completely ... even at this unfinished stage, it's looking great!

The subtle highlights on the waves is perfect! Even your tiny CM, with its inflation devices, looks great!

Really nice job!

Pete

Thanks guys, still lots of little details to add, and lots of figures that do not like to play the game.

20190310_150445

Replacement rafts made, with Astronauts and divers sorted. Will need to manipulate the pilots now, to have them seated.

20190310_150435

Painting everyone will be next. The moon germ garments are greyish. Divers will be black, with helo crews green with white helmets.

Oh-h-h .... My-y-y-y ... Gawsh ... I thought that 1st image was a photo of the real recovery! 

The weathering on the CM is excellent, the subtle water highlights, the position of the figures, the Rafts and their colouration ... dang, ALL excellent!

Really well done!!

Pete

Thanks Randy and CO, I'm enjoying this build. I'm basing the model off a few still pics from the day of recovery. Some iconic pics they are, as we all know. Just getting the detail down at the moment. Still need to add, little life preserves under the arms of the Astronauts. Plus I'm going to tackle the inflation balls pattern, I was going to leave them be, it's niggling at me now when I look at reference pics.

Well, putting the Apollo 11 dio on pause till I get the decals sorted for Old 66 and 64. I'll get back to that on the weekend. At present I'm hooking into my 1/48 Challenger. Added some extra details with Pete's help. And opened up the front quad bays. As the LRV had no top cover on LEM, I'll need to scratch build a few wheels and fenders to hide in there. I already have the LRV bottom chassie sorted. The ALSEP bay, I'll just add a thin plastic triangle top. So glad most of this will be covered by foil. Also the large bump on rear of LM descent stage, was that a fuel tank? I'll need to add that also.

20190318_08042120190318_08045020190318_08051620190318_080325

Edited by ApolloMan

WOW ... that LM got built up right-quick! You don't waste any time do you? And it looks Great!

The Large bump on the Descent Stage's aft is the LRV equipment pallets.

And you're correct about the LRV bay not having a top, but it is covered by foil and just makes it easier to foil over. So, while I did remove it in one LM build, I've left the styrene in place on the others.

The MESA bay, you might want to affix a piece of styrene to the upper vertical opening so the plume deflector frames have some place to glue in to. 

Lovely work Mick!   :thumbsup:

Pete