1/48 Revell B1 bomber new kit

On 2/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, Dave Williams said:

, as well as being unrealistically thin.

Dave, seems to me that you have never seen what those exhaust look like up close and personal...

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Just making a point about the Verlinden PE featherless exhausts in general.

It was such a bad thing that you had gotten rid of those jewels, 'cause they were the most exact representation of the real things. Will prove to you what I'm speaking about.

As said before, none of the resin bits to replace the plastic exhausts on the 1/48 F-15 kits have come close to being as thin as the KA Models bits, which I acquired sometime in the late past year. Until then, every other resin manufacturer which resins I saw I didn't like for being much too coarse and lacking definition.

Here you've got a picture of both the Verlinden PE bits and the new KA Models ones, to show you that the diametres on both exhaust are exaclty the same, and not the wrong size, as somebody has posted above.

NhGbv6G.jpg

The Verlinden PE bits itself bring a very good close-up of the exhaust of an F-15, where you can clearly see that the things are quite thin when watched closely. Check how thin those thingies are on the new KA Models bits and check to the right of the picture for reference to the Verlinden photograph.

yH3bkAT.jpg

And finally, the detail on the PE bits is even better than on the new resin ones. The look on the Verlinden PE bits once installed are the closest I've seen to the real thing; they look exactly like the featherless exhausts on the F-15.

EYh7ju9.jpg 

Françoise Verlinden devised those having one of the Eagles sitting at Bitburg, so I don't think he could have ever been wrong. Too bad 'cause they're OOP and very rare to come by.

Now, may I see your points for what you've stated above, please?

Cheers,

Onigiri

I built those Verlinden exhausts back in the early 90'S. They were my very first project using photoetch and were a complete pain in the a$$. I was grateful for Hasegawa issuing Kit P-21 (F-15E) with their rendition of the cans. Then all I had to do was scratch build the tangential pylons for the CFT's.

We are truly in the golden days of our hobby my friends.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

They were my very first project using photoetch and were a complete pain in the a$$.

Not the correct set of photoetch to start with, Matt. You can imagine I started with some simple 1/48 P-40E photoetch flap set (or was it Hurricane?), and I completely fuc**d up...

Anyway, the most complex PE set of all I tangled with so far has been the Metallic Details 1/48 B-29 flaps; it scares the living sh*t out of me. Humongous pieces to fold up, and a zillion PE parts to glue on them once folded.  

Instructions call for CA glue, but I think some assemblies might as well benefit from some soldering instead.

What kind of soldering does one use for PE anyways...? :hmmm:

Edited by Doppelgänger
Inbound phone call - unavoidable.

You want complex PE? Try some of the Flightpath 1/32 PE for F-15 exhausts, or the ones for Tornado flaps. I had those sets and started the flaps and gave up. Never even tried the exhausts. They were beautiful though. Some of Aber's PE for 1/16 armor subjects is enough to make a grown man cry. And then there is the ultimate in masochism that is 1/350 and 1/700 naval ship PE. We have it easy :thumbsup2:.

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

The B-1 uses a different engine. :rofl::rofl::rofl:(Oh, my God; it hurts!).

Cheers,

Onigiri

PS: Hi, Mark! :wave:

Dunno what's so amusing as he is correct. The B-1 uses F-101-GE-102. The General Electric F110-GE-100/129 that other aircraft use are a derivative of the 101 but no other aircraft uses it.

I'm waiting and hope a Revell give in this new re-release a resin parts for engines... And nothing...P.E. only... I have last re-box in bottom of my kit stack... Barracuda made many AM for "Bone," but they are relative expensive....