I am currently building the Revell PV-1 Ventura.  I am going to make it an in-flight pose where it looked like it just bombed a u-boat (Probably not 100% accurate but I don't care).  My question is would they have dropped the entire bomb load in one pass or would they come back around for a second?  Also how quickly would they have closed the bomb bay doors? 

Thanks 

Brent

• 1 month later...

I would think they would drop the entire load since after the U-Boat submerged there would be no way for the PV1 to know which direction the boat was going in (you don't submerge and keep going straight) With that said, the PV1 would not be dropping regular GP Bombs, they would be releasing depth bombs. The two depth bombs that you can easily get are the Mk XVII and Mk 54, both made by Attack Squadron Models and can still be found on Ebay.

Bombs would detonate on the surface (or just below it if they are using delay fuzing). Depth bombs were the anti-sub weapon of choice back then, they would detonate much deeper (under the sub) and had a greater chance of causing more damage to the sub then a bomb detonating on the surface, even if the sub was still surfaced.

They would normally carry 6 depth bombs. As for the bomb bay doors, they would close them as soon as possible since maneuvering was restricted with them open but keep in mind, that the doors did not close immediately, they took several seconds to close so if you are doing a diorama with bombs still in the air after being released the doors would still be opened.

The two depth bombs that you can easily get are the Mk XVII and Mk 54, both made by Attack Squadron Models and can still be found on Ebay.