Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4

Anyone know why the Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4 kits seems to have walked off the face of the planet???

65763CE3-A6DE-4524-96E9-A16CD51D5D14.jpeg.254d1a4e5c0595b30fcdfa7e8d31d08e.jpeg

Cannot get one anywhere and it’s no longer listed on the Revell website as part of their catalogue.

Has it been recalled because they got something wrong or are they waiting to rerelease it when the RAF says goodbye to them next month??

Very bizarre situation.

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor
4 hours ago, Ollie T-Y said:

They're discontinued, sadly.

Wow, so fast. I just saw one on eBay with a starting price of $85. Thought that out of line until hearing this. I wonder what prompted such as fast end.

I guess it was originally released in 2015 and the boxing above is the 2017 release. I suppose Revell could do another release sometime in the future. It certainly seems in demand as it appears that every vendor on the planet is out of them.

I'm sure they'll re-release it again in the future. I have one in the stash to build and with the retirement there will be retirement paint schemes etc. I bet within the next year or 2 you'll see it again.

Speaking of the Gr.4 does anyone have any photos or information on the Gr.4's that were used on the Syria raid last spring? I am interested in doing a Tornado that participated in the mission with the Storm Shadows. - Update:  It was number IX (B) Squadron. Now if I could locate any photos from that time period I would be set.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Add
3 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Why? When leaving them separate increasing the chances of people buying a second kit.

Which is a very smart business plan, as long as they actually have them both up for sale!

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Speaking of the Gr.4 does anyone have any photos or information on the Gr.4's that were used on the Syria raid last spring? I am interested in doing a Tornado that participated in the mission with the Storm Shadows. - Update:  It was number IX (B) Squadron. Now if I could locate any photos from that time period I would be set.

If you’re referring to the strikes in April 2018, it was 31 Sqn. The 8 Tornado’s were pooled from both sqns at the time with the other being 9 Sqn,  none of the a/c wore any Sqd markings which had been the case for sometime across the whole Tornado fleet. 4 Tornado’s were used on the strike which each a/c carrying a pair of Storm Shadows under the fuselage, ASRAAM’s on the inner shoulder pylons, a pair of 2250 ltr “Hindenburg” tanks, TERMA pod on the outer port pylon and BOZ pod on the outer starboard pylon.

The  a/c that took part in the strike were

ZA601/066

ZA556/047

ZD716/084

ZA585/054

Hope that helps.

45 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

If you’re referring to the strikes in April 2018, it was 31 Sqn. The 8 Tornado’s were pooled from both sqns at the time with the other being 9 Sqn,  none of the a/c wore any Sqd markings which had been the case for sometime across the whole Tornado fleet. 4 Tornado’s were used on the strike which each a/c carrying a pair of Storm Shadows under the fuselage, ASRAAM’s on the inner shoulder pylons, a pair of 2250 ltr “Hindenburg” tanks, TERMA pod on the outer port pylon and BOZ pod on the outer starboard pylon.

The  a/c that took part in the strike were

ZA601/066

ZA556/047

ZD716/084

ZA585/054

Hope that helps.

It sure does thank you Scott!

A guy was selling one at our club meeting this week, $20.00.

I was tempted, I already have one and doubt I will build two after reading all the build reviews over what a challenge the kit is to build (despite it being a very nice tooling).

1 minute ago, Scooby said:

A guy was selling one at our club meeting this week, $20.00.

I was tempted, I already have one and doubt I will build two after reading all the build reviews over what a challenge the kit is to build (despite it being a very nice tooling).

Did he sell it? If not, I’d be interested.   Could you let me know if he still wants to sell it?  PM me if so.

• 11 months later...

No kit is "unbuildable". 

There are kits that definitely represent a challenge to build and, if just built without correcting the challenging issues, may be inaccurate or just look/fit like cr@p, but they are not "unbuildable".  To say so means the "unbuilder" either lacks the conviction - or skills - to build the kit.

So, Gentlemen, am I right in thinking the forthcoming Italeri new tool 1/32 GR.4 will be a great kit?  

The 1990s era 1/32 Revell Tonka isn't at all bad, but lacks intake trunking and modern finesse. I haven't been able to compare it with the quarter inch version, but might look at the nose, tail and wing sweep of the biggie now that issues have been raised in the medium sized edition.

Cheers

Tony 

28 minutes ago, tony.t said:

So, Gentlemen, am I right in thinking the forthcoming Italeri new tool 1/32 GR.4 will be a great kit?  

The 1990s era 1/32 Revell Tonka isn't at all bad, but lacks intake trunking and modern finesse. I haven't been able to compare it with the quarter inch version, but might look at the nose, tail and wing sweep of the biggie now that issues have been raised in the medium sized edition.

Cheers

Tony 

Yeah that was a great kit back in the day, I remember a guy in my local model club at the time build one and had a load of LEDs in it. It looked rather smart when he finished. I never built one myself but even now its tempting. Its just a shame it hasnt got things like movable control surfaces and interior detailing.

I love threads like this one, not because they have any importance, - even though I feel sorry for the OP and the

seriously ment question he asked - but because I vividly remember and still love the comment of a U.S. TV commentator during a football game: 

"What a plethora of verbal diarrhea"!! Why don't the two of you just meet, go outside and fight it out and spare the rest of serious 

posters your personal BS?

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

I haven't been able to compare it with the quarter inch version, but might look at the nose, tail and wing sweep of the biggie now that issues have been raised in the medium sized edition.

Tony, every mistake I pointed out but the nose is fixable in the Revell 1/48 Tonka kit. Best you could do about the nose is to purchase the Italeri Tonka sprue which contains both forward fuselage halves and the nose cone in order to kitbash them. Other than that, as with the wrong shape of the ECS intake, the shape issues in the Revell Tonka kit are all fixable. 

17 hours ago, polybebber said:

I love threads like this one, not because they have any importance, - even though I feel sorry for the OP and the

seriously ment question he asked - but because I vividly remember and still love the comment of a U.S. TV commentator during a football game: 

"What a plethora of verbal diarrhea"!! Why don't the two of you just meet, go outside and fight it out and spare the rest of serious 

This.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:16 PM, polybebber said:

Yes, I do appologise to all for that. I am trying to add him to my ignore list at the minute because I dont like it either.