Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4

On 1 February 2020 at 11:03 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

Tony, every mistake I pointed out but the nose is fixable in the Revell 1/48 Tonka kit. Best you could do about the nose is to purchase the Italeri Tonka sprue which contains both forward fuselage halves and the nose cone in order to kitbash them. Other than that, as with the wrong shape of the ECS intake, the shape issues in the Revell Tonka kit are all fixable. 

Thanks, and apologies to the OP for diverting OT to 1/32, but I've got the Revell 1/32 version (with a bunch of Aires stuff) and was wondering if it had the same (albeit fixable) issues as the 1/48 version. 

I've really been waiting for the 1/32 Italeri GR.4 Tonka, a new tool due this year. Should really be something, even though a little large for many tastes.

Thanks, Tony 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, tony.t said:

I've really been waiting for the 1/32 Italeri GR.4 Tonka, a new tool due this year.

It's been due for a few years on the trot now, Keeps getting pushed back with no sign of it!

1 hour ago, Ollie T-Y said:

It's been due for a few years on the trot now, Keeps getting pushed back with no sign of it!

Yes. Italeri made a big deal at Nurnberg about it being a flagship kit release this year, after a few years of teasing. Still 331 days to go before we can say it's late, though seeing some test shots this Spring would be nice.

The Revell 1/48 Tornado ECR is being repopped this year. Don't know if it'll include the GR-specific sprues as well. 

Tony 

Good news on the GR4! I will grab a couple. Have two F3's sitting around, and have built a third. Not that hard, but takes some test fitting here and there. My one gripe is that no one does a good weapons set that I know of.

The first one went together we'll, but my Grandson insisted I paint it John Deere green and yellow! Perhaps I spoil them too much! 

Gary

Cybermodeler's new kit list also has a Revell 1/48 "Tornado ASST 3.1" listed. This would be a German 2016 upgraded version (actually ASSTA is the correct acronym according to Wikipedia). Don't know if it would require updated parts.

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

A reboxing of somebody elses kit or a new tool?

I dont suppose it will matter either way, the profipack versions are always nice. Ive never had a bad one.

According to Scalemates its the Revell kit. Their F.3 ADV kit was a reboxed Revell kit too.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-11136-desert-babe--1262820

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

Cybermodeler's new kit list also has a Revell 1/48 "Tornado ASST 3.1" listed. This would be a German 2016 upgraded version (actually ASSTA is the correct acronym according to Wikipedia). Don't know if it would require updated parts.

Bad news is, like with their F-15E, it seems they will apply a steep price rise (33%), despite the parts number staying the same.

I'm looking forward to the Eduard rebox of the Tornado - I had been wanting to build a Desert Storm Tornado and always like the extras you get in the Eduard Limited Editions

I just hope this boxing doesn't have the issue with the canopies the F.3 (and other Revell releases of the kit) have had, and that the clear part for the chin pod is included

They claimed that the GR.1 decal sheet will be produced/printed by them meaning Eduard's (and not by Cartograph),  has anyone tried their decal, is it any good? I've got several Eduard kits but haven't build one yet.

Edited by flybywire
19 minutes ago, flybywire said:

They claimed that the GR.1 decal sheet will be produced/printed by them meaning Eduard's (and not by Cartograph),  has anyone tried their decal, is it any good? I've got several Eduard kits but haven't build one yet.

I've only used the Eduard decals provided with their ordnance sets, but they were fine.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, shion said:

Bad news is, like with their F-15E, it seems they will apply a steep price rise (33%), despite the parts number staying the same.

Yeah, I think we will see a few price rises now, especially from Central and Eastern Europe.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, flybywire said:

Was the Bf110 kit decals by them?
They were rather nice I thought

On 2/1/2020 at 11:03 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

Tony, every mistake I pointed out but the nose is fixable in the Revell 1/48 Tonka kit. Best you could do about the nose is to purchase the Italeri Tonka sprue which contains both forward fuselage halves and the nose cone in order to kitbash them. Other than that, as with the wrong shape of the ECS intake, the shape issues in the Revell Tonka kit are all fixable. 

The 1/48 Revell IDS/GR4 nose is actually ok; the mistake people make is thinking the kit cone to fuselage join is actually the demarcation for the radome (and therefore too short) but in fact you have to fill and sand that joint line and come back to next panel line and  then paint your nose cone from there... a replacement would be more work (and expense) than just filling and sanding this joint.

As previously noted, Eduard are releasing "Desert Babe" a limited edition GR1 version using the Revell plastic parts (from the GR4) in Desert Storm / Operation Granby 1991 markings (8 different aircraft). The Eduard release will include photo-etch accessories, resin wheels and seats and a painting mask. This would account for the price increase. And to be fair to them they do often issue "overtree" versions with just the plastic parts in a plain box at a much cheaper price (they did this for the 1/48 Revell Tornado ADV); however with the base kit being reissued this year by Revell in 2 versions the kit should be available again quite cheap...

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2020/info-eduard-2020-02en.pdf

Incidentally, for Tornado enthusiasts, also coming separately from Eduard in the next 2 months are: 

481007 Desert Babe upgrade set 1/48 (PE-Set) 648527  BOZ-EC pod  1/48 (Brassin) 648528  Sky Shadow ECM pod  1/48 (Brassin) 648546  PHIMAT chaff dispenser  1/48 (Brassin) 648549  ALARM missile  1/48 (Brassin) 648547  TIALD pod  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release) 648550  CPU-123 Paweway II  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release) 648551  JP233 dispenser pod  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release)

Rich

5 minutes ago, RichG said:

Incidentally, for Tornado enthusiasts, also coming separately from Eduard in the next 2 months are: 

481007 Desert Babe upgrade set 1/48 (PE-Set) 648527  BOZ-EC pod  1/48 (Brassin) 648528  Sky Shadow ECM pod  1/48 (Brassin) 648546  PHIMAT chaff dispenser  1/48 (Brassin) 648549  ALARM missile  1/48 (Brassin) 648547  TIALD pod  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release) 648550  CPU-123 Paweway II  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release) 648551  JP233 dispenser pod  1/48 (Brassin) (04/2020 release)

Sweet!