Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Maverick Taylor

Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4

Recommended Posts

Anyone know why the Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4 kits seems to have walked off the face of the planet???

 

65763CE3-A6DE-4524-96E9-A16CD51D5D14.jpeg.254d1a4e5c0595b30fcdfa7e8d31d08e.jpeg

 

Cannot get one anywhere and it’s no longer listed on the Revell website as part of their catalogue.

 

Has it been recalled because they got something wrong or are they waiting to rerelease it when the RAF says goodbye to them next month??

 

Very bizarre situation.

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 3/4 finished one that I brought from trademe about a year ago. Until recently there was still another from the same seller. Maybe it will pop up again.

 

All the other model sites I buy from list it as sold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ollie T-Y said:

They're discontinued, sadly.

 

Wow, so fast. I just saw one on eBay with a starting price of $85. Thought that out of line until hearing this. I wonder what prompted such as fast end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the only GR4 on the market correct? I have a couple of the Italeri Tornado kits with a bunch of the old resin corrections but I don't recall anyone of them being a GR4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it was originally released in 2015 and the boxing above is the 2017 release. I suppose Revell could do another release sometime in the future. It certainly seems in demand as it appears that every vendor on the planet is out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems mad not to leave the RAF parts in aswell as IDS parts and just have decals for both types. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they'll re-release it again in the future. I have one in the stash to build and with the retirement there will be retirement paint schemes etc. I bet within the next year or 2 you'll see it again.

 

Speaking of the Gr.4 does anyone have any photos or information on the Gr.4's that were used on the Syria raid last spring? I am interested in doing a Tornado that participated in the mission with the Storm Shadows. - Update:  It was number IX (B) Squadron. Now if I could locate any photos from that time period I would be set.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ollie T-Y said:

It seems mad not to leave the RAF parts in aswell as IDS parts and just have decals for both types. 

 

Why? When leaving them separate increasing the chances of people buying a second kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

 

Why? When leaving them separate increasing the chances of people buying a second kit.

 

 

Which is a very smart business plan, as long as they actually have them both up for sale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

 

 

Speaking of the Gr.4 does anyone have any photos or information on the Gr.4's that were used on the Syria raid last spring? I am interested in doing a Tornado that participated in the mission with the Storm Shadows. - Update:  It was number IX (B) Squadron. Now if I could locate any photos from that time period I would be set.

 

If you’re referring to the strikes in April 2018, it was 31 Sqn. The 8 Tornado’s were pooled from both sqns at the time with the other being 9 Sqn,  none of the a/c wore any Sqd markings which had been the case for sometime across the whole Tornado fleet. 4 Tornado’s were used on the strike which each a/c carrying a pair of Storm Shadows under the fuselage, ASRAAM’s on the inner shoulder pylons, a pair of 2250 ltr “Hindenburg” tanks, TERMA pod on the outer port pylon and BOZ pod on the outer starboard pylon.

 

The  a/c that took part in the strike were

ZA601/066

ZA556/047

ZD716/084

ZA585/054

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

 

If you’re referring to the strikes in April 2018, it was 31 Sqn. The 8 Tornado’s were pooled from both sqns at the time with the other being 9 Sqn,  none of the a/c wore any Sqd markings which had been the case for sometime across the whole Tornado fleet. 4 Tornado’s were used on the strike which each a/c carrying a pair of Storm Shadows under the fuselage, ASRAAM’s on the inner shoulder pylons, a pair of 2250 ltr “Hindenburg” tanks, TERMA pod on the outer port pylon and BOZ pod on the outer starboard pylon.

 

The  a/c that took part in the strike were

ZA601/066

ZA556/047

ZD716/084

ZA585/054

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

 

 

 

It sure does thank you Scott!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy was selling one at our club meeting this week, $20.00.

 

I was tempted, I already have one and doubt I will build two after reading all the build reviews over what a challenge the kit is to build (despite it being a very nice tooling).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scooby said:

A guy was selling one at our club meeting this week, $20.00.

 

I was tempted, I already have one and doubt I will build two after reading all the build reviews over what a challenge the kit is to build (despite it being a very nice tooling).

 

Did he sell it? If not, I’d be interested.   Could you let me know if he still wants to sell it?  PM me if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

 

Did he sell it? If not, I’d be interested.   Could you let me know if he still wants to sell it?  PM me if so.

 

I’ll check, I think he packed it up and took it home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...