Early panel line wash

Say, anyone ever tried applying a dark wash to the kit before painting with Testors metalizers? I am about to apply the stainless steel Buffalo Bill one and i believe a dark wash will show through the finish after buffing since the coat is so thin. Also i am a bit apprehensive about ruining the buffing job if i apply the wash afterwards. I suppose such a wash would have to hold up to more than say what a water colour wash would. Setting solutions recommended for the Testors Metalizers? Thanks !

Edited by breadneck

What i mean is to wash the panel lines and wipe off the excess around the panel lines, then paint the kit with the metalizer. I wasn`t thinking about the mottle type black basing or preshading techniques. This is a little bit different. By wash i mean so that the only wash left is residing in the grooves of the panel lines if this makes ANY sense, lol. I`m not afraid of making a fool of myself. If i`m in the wrong, i`ll rest my case.

I think I saw someone do this, not with metalizer paints but with thinned down regular paint. If I remember right, the effect was very subtle. I think that what your are proposing may work to some degree depending on how much paint you lay over the panel lines. I would suggest testing it on a paint mule and letting us know how it comes out. I think the effect will be subtle in any case as with the person who did it with regular paint.

• 4 weeks later...

Never done it, but metallizer is hot and fragile. So I can see it reactivating the solvent in the wash. It may also not bond well at the edges of the line and therefore not survive the buffing. An interesting experiment, if I were at home I’d try it out on wing and see what happens, but alas I’m on holidays. 

Edited by is it windy yet?
Damn autocorrect