Hi, Just wondering if anyone has covered the USMC CH-46 from Cherry Point, it’s a really interesting scheme the grey and red buy I’ve never seen the decals to cover any of the four Sea Knights stationed there for SAR.

Help and advice always received with thanks.

You didn't state the scale but yes in 1/72 and 1/48. In 1/72 Microscale had an old set. Wolfpak did one scheme in 1/72. Along with Fujimi. In 1/48 Academy did have a rescue bird in the CH/HH-46D kit. You have to do the white MCAS Cherry Point yourself. 

HTH

1 hour ago, Tank said:

You didn't state the scale but yes in 1/72 and 1/48. In 1/72 Microscale had an old set. Wolfpak did one scheme in 1/72. Along with Fujimi. In 1/48 Academy did have a rescue bird in the CH/HH-46D kit. You have to do the white MCAS Cherry Point yourself. 

HTH

Sorry for th oversight, it’s in 1/48th I was looking. You say the D model has it, that’ll be the Stars and Stripes nose box art? Shame about the Cherry Point markings but it’s not insurmountable as long as they are in plain white and not white with the black slant.

Thanks Tank for the speedy reply and assistance.

Edited by Wafu

Correct, it the "Navy" boxing that has the markings but also the other plastic you would want (speaker, search light). I think an older HH-46A/D might have been one color, the newer HH-46E had both white and black from a quick search of VMR-1 photos. 

If I recall MAW decals had a rescue decal sheet planned back in the day that would have solved your problems. I don't recall where Creighton is these days but if you can get ahold of him, you could ask to share the graphics to print your own.

HTH

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I am pretty sure that Dave Roof of MAW decals has artwork prepared for the USMC rescue schemes, but not yet printed in 1:48 scale.  Search the Helicopter forum for it.  I think he uploaded profiles at one point. R/ Dutch

I am not MAW Decals, that is/was Creighton Henthorn.

He had a sheet drawn, but I have no idea what the status of his line is at the moment. 

I also have them drawn, but they're not a priority at the moment.

The decal thread in question.

A few other threads that might help with the build Wafu.

Please share any build pics when you get to that point. Need to get back to phrog building myself.

HTH

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

I am not MAW Decals, that is/was Creighton Henthorn.

He had a sheet drawn, but I have no idea what the status of his line is at the moment. 

I also have them drawn, but they're not a priority at the moment.

My apologies Dave.  Old age setting in again.  Can't remember !@#$ anymore.

Wow, thanks guys. I will share the build with you. I’ve just received the kit this morning from an eBay seller, bargain buy.

Sorry to hear the news Dave, I’m sure you’ll do justice to the Phrog in due course though, by the way I have a few of your mask sets, they look very comprehensive.

Thanks again to all and watch out for the build very soon, I’m doing it between my Skycrane build.

Cheers Ian.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

MAW was shutdown in 2013. All inventory was sold to Sprue Brothers according to his facebook post. I don't recall him starting it back up again.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

MAW was shutdown in 2013. All inventory was sold to Sprue Brothers according to his facebook post. I don't recall him starting it back up again.

I know, we've talked about it in the past and he was unsure if he would come back or not.

• 1 month later...

The birds at CP were referred to a “Pedro” if memory serves…

They were gloss “Engine Gray”, FS16081, although I have seen some USMC SAR birds in gloss “Marine Green” & Red.  HH-46D 151984 on spin up, May 13 1992.

For what ever reason the USMC started the 46 with the pax and some crew outside, because of the "violent" nature of the 46 spin up.  In the Army we just took it in stride and went with the (significant) lateral vibrations with the CH-47D till we got to flight idle RPM.

- Bryan

HH-46D_CheryPT_5-92.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
update+