1/32 & 1/48 - Hughes TH-55 Osage by AMP - 1/32 TH-55A released

On 2/21/2022 at 2:44 AM, midnightprowler said:

Any info on pricing and who will carry it?

I've just asked but given MikroMir is based in Ukraine I expect they have more pressing matters. Fingers crossed all is well with their team.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:44 AM, midnightprowler said:

Any info on pricing and who will carry it?

I asked. Their response indicated there are more pressing matters in their country to deal with first.

• 4 months later...

I just saw this kit for sale from the Ukraine on eBay!  I bought one, so I can do an in-box review when it shows up if anyone is interested...

-Derek

You beat me to it, I was just coming over to post the same thing.  Very much interested in seeing your review. Nice touch providing the Quinta-style 3D instrument panel. 

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/32 & 1/48 - Hughes TH-55 Osage by AMP - 1/35 TH-55A released
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 5:21 AM, HeavyArty said:

Looks nice.  Now we need a 1/32 OH-23 Raven to go with it.

Amen to that.

Despite the popularity of the Bell H-13, some countries and civil operators preferred the Hiller. If civil operators liked it, it usually meant lower operating cost.

I know later versions had a very good transmission and higher TBO.

The U.S. Army used both types interchangeably, but the Army bought Bell OH-13S for their final piston observer helicopter. The Hillers went to national guard units.

Also, before the Hughes TH-55, the Army's primary helicopter trainer was the H-23.

But, they used later Bells for instrument training, TH-13T.If

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, you see some turbine Hiller conversions used for forestry work and AG use. Saw one on a trailer a year or so ago (the truck them to jobs, flying them long distances is too expensive).

Wow, almost a month to the day.  Looks like my kit will be delivered today, so fingers crossed!  

I'll be sure to post some photos of it here.

4 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

I got mine yesterday!

Nice!  What do you think upon first inspection?  No one was home when the MM tried to deliver mine today, so I have to go pick it up at the post office in the morning  😞

-Derek

It looks very nice. The clear parts are typical AMP; clear but a little wavy. Everything looks very nice in the box. The rotor head is a late model with elastomeric dampers (versus the friction dampers used earlier). The tail rotor is also the later OH-6A tail rotor. The early tail rotor resembled two 12" rulers! The instrument panel, likewise is a later version. These details are applicable for Fort Rucker aircraft. The painting on the front of the box shows the correct, short mast; but the painting on the back of the box shows the Hughes/Schweizer "C" model mast. I haven't had time to measure everything out so I'm not sure which version you get. The 3D instrument panel is very nice. I'll have a more comprehensive review soon. 

My model arrived in a envelope (Yikes)! But is was well padded and nothing was broken.

Mig

6 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

It looks very nice. The clear parts are typical AMP; clear but a little wavy. Everything looks very nice in the box. The rotor head is a late model with elastomeric dampers (versus the friction dampers used earlier). The tail rotor is also the later OH-6A tail rotor. The early tail rotor resembled two 12" rulers! The instrument panel, likewise is a later version. These details are applicable for Fort Rucker aircraft. The painting on the front of the box shows the correct, short mast; but the painting on the back of the box shows the Hughes/Schweizer "C" model mast. I haven't had time to measure everything out so I'm not sure which version you get. The 3D instrument panel is very nice. I'll have a more comprehensive review soon. 

My model arrived in a envelope (Yikes)! But is was well padded and nothing was broken.

Mig

Thanks Rob, that's good stuff.  Are you aware of any reference books for the TH-55?  I mean besides some Ft Wolters postcards and training manuals, I don't think there is much out there?  I also have photographed the "gate guard" a/c they have installed at the old Wolters gate but beyond that I can't really think of anything?

Also, do the "US ARMY" on the decal sheet look a little too thin, not the 100% correct font?

-Derek

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3423.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Edited by viking73

Sadly, I don't know of any publications devoted to the TH-55A. There is however a Facebook group; "US Army TH-55A "Osage." They have a lot of photos; some good, some just OK, but useful nonetheless. Which Programed Texts do you have? I've got the Powertrain, Main and Tail Rotor Systems, and Airframe (which you obviously have). I've also got pages from the -10 with applicable drawings. Let me know if you need any of that stuff and I'll post it here.

The gate guard has the early white tailboom. There were a few of them left when I went through training in the summer of 1968. We called them "white pegs."

Yes, the "US Army" looks wimpy. The font looks OK to me for a Fort Wolters based 55. Fort Rucker may have changed the font when they got there.

I've got four postcards. The best being the one taken at Dempsey Army Heliport (attached). 

I've also got a large number of detail shots (mostly underside) taken of the hanging TH-55 at the Army Aviation Museum.

Also, here's a photo from 1966. You can see minor differences between it and the 1968 Dempsey photo.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Mig

zz165.jpg

th-55a02.jpg

Derek,

I would be very suspicious of the "Gate Guard" aircraft as far as the definitive markings to judge the decals against.  These gate guards are notorious as "project" aircraft for volunteers and or an aviation mechanic (Army, Navy, Marine) that does not want to be re-painting the gate guard. 

Do not get me wrong, and I am not making any judgements on that TH-55 for 100% sure its "wrong", I am just saying check in-service photographs, reference materials, books and Army Flight manuals etc.  before you believe the gate guard is 100% accurate.

I too ordered my kit and can not wait to have it.  As a rotorhead from way back this subject was sorely missing in the Army lineage of helicopters that trained 100's if not thousands of Army aviators.

Look forward to your review.

r/Gunny 

Gunny, the gate guard markings are mostly correct. The numbers and US Army are blue instead of black. The year (67 in this case) was not carried. The landing gear was various shades of gray; not black as the gate guard depicts. Many pieces and parts are missing. A lot of details changed when they went to Fort Rucker. As always consult a photograph of the bird you’re building.

Overall, not too bad.

Mig

Edited by Rob Mignard

Absolutely, you guys are 100% correct to never take a retired or restored museum a/c as a definitive reference.  It's just that so little is out there on the TH-55 which is a real  shame...  

My kit is finally in hand and I too was a bit nervous about the bubble envelope.  A couple of my clear parts have broken loose but look okay.  One problem I can already see is that the kit instructions would have you mount 2 gas tanks where I am 99.9% sure U.S. Army TH-55s only had the single tank on the left side...

Rob - I have the Airframe, Flight Controls, Powerplant &  Related Systems, Powertrain, Electrical System, Helicopter Instruments, and the Aircraft Systems Check texts from Wolters.  All are dated 1968 I believe.  I also have a complete 1965 dated "Handbook Maintenance Instructions" manual.  This one has lots of great photos and line drawings in it. 

I'll be sure to post some photos of the plastic very soon.

-Derek

Since you can see EVERYTHING on a TH-55, here's a few detail shots. This is the TH-55A in the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker. This is the original rotor head with friction dampers (the cylindrical objects with the hex plate on the bottom).

AMP only gives you one collective! You'll need to fabricate a second. 

Mig

z5501.jpg

z5502.jpg

z5503.jpg

10 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I second that?

How much is the 1/35 scale kit that's out now???

Tim

I bought my kit on eBay direct from the Ukraine.  Took about 4 weeks to get here.  I'm not sure who in the U.S. will carry it.  I see Hannants is still showing it on back order.  I paid right around $50 for my kit including shipping.

-Derek

7 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

Since you can see EVERYTHING on a TH-55, here's a few detail shots. This is the TH-55A in the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker. This is the original rotor head with friction dampers (the cylindrical objects with the hex plate on the bottom).

AMP only gives you one collective! You'll need to fabricate a second. 

Mig

Great photos, thanks Rob!  

Oh no, you are right - the kit only has one collective 😞  That's a real bummer!  At least it shouldn't be too hard to make a second one since it's mostly all round!  And you can clearly see only one fuel tank in your photos as well, not 2 as the instructions would lead you believe.

-Derek

I have a full set of manuals for both the TH-55 as well as the Hughes -300A/B/C variants.  We have a TH-55 here at my airport where I work.  Paine Field in Everett WA.  Its about 25 books in all. Covers the Army version as well as the civilian version.  I also have a full set of Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB's) for each series both Military and Civilian variants.  So if anyone needs me to scan some pages I certainly can do, no problem.

The twin tank installation is for the civilian variant for sure, and since you can model that, I think they made a small mistake in the directions.  the TH-55 certainly lived its life with one tank, as with two tanks, full, two pilots, you start to get a little worried about power available vs. power required in those hot humid training environments.

Here is some shots of the -300 I work on here at the field, plus there is another one, -300C in all blue.

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

Thanks for the photos Gunny. Can you tell me the difference lengths of the masts and tailbooms between the TH-55 and the Hughes/Scweizer/MD C model? I believe the 300C has a foot longer tailboom and a foot taller mast. It appears AMP gives you 300C rotor blades and tailboom; not sure about the mast yet. 

I flew the TH-55A at Fort Wolters in 1968 and did Ag work with a 300B in the 70's. Great little helicopter.

Mig

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/32 & 1/48 - Hughes TH-55 Osage by AMP - 1/32 TH-55A released